The White Stripes - Icky Thump, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
trevster2k said:
And at the end, they waved the provincial flag of Ontario keeping their tradition they have started during this cross-Canada tour.

Enjoy the show in St. John's, GG and AOD!! I won't be back in time. Still have some more touring of the country before I get there.

Glad you enjoyed the concert, Trev. So nice of them to also play that secret show...aside from the music, they've got a mega-tonne of class & spirit. It'll be interesting to see what flag they fly here. If it's the tricolour, it could start a rebellion :wink:

ONE WEEK, GG!!! :drool:

annie_vox said:
"A Martyr For My Love For You" is so beautiful... I've been listening to it over and over again...

I was thinking the same today. There's some great, great stuff on this album :up:

My mom and I have been listening to the album in the car for a couple days now, and I'm beginning to like Little Cream Soda a lot more! :up:

LMP- our favs lists will be the same in due time :yes:

BonosLil'Pal94 said:
My mom and I have been listening to the album in the car for a couple days now, and I'm beginning to like Little Cream Soda a lot more! :up:

LMP- our favs lists will be the same in due time :yes:

:drool:

naw don't be rude!

bono_man2002 said:

Aren't You Lucky!

Quite. :wink: Today is officially White Stripes day! I shall listen to nothing else to pump myself up for the concert on Monday. I'll be back tomorrow or the day after with a review and pictures, hopefully.

You're in for a treat Steph!

I don't know if you work or go to school during the dat but keep you're eyes and ears open for their secret show. They've had one in every Canadian city they've visited, as I'm sure you're aware.

Have fun!

GibsonGirl said:

Today is officially White Stripes day!

It most certainly is! :rockon: :bonodrum: :rockon:

I can't wait! I'm wondering if they're here right now, in our midst? The weather is so amazing today...I just feel like walking around all day with my dog to see if there's a sighting :wink:

One more :rockon: for good measure.

angelordevil said:

It most certainly is! :rockon: :bonodrum: :rockon:

I can't wait! I'm wondering if they're here right now, in our midst? The weather is so amazing today...I just feel like walking around all day with my dog to see if there's a sighting :wink:

One more :rockon: for good measure.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Maybe they'll do something at the Janeway? George Street? Avalon Mall? I have my fingers crossed for the latter because I'll probably be there tomorrow afternoon.

Anyway, see you tomorrow! Now we can finally add something to the Who's Met Who thread. :lol:

GibsonGirl said:
Maybe they'll do something at the Janeway? George Street? Avalon Mall? I have my fingers crossed for the latter because I'll probably be there tomorrow afternoon.

Anyway, see you tomorrow! Now we can finally add something to the Who's Met Who thread. :lol:

Haha! This is so weeeeird, isn't it? Surreal. My worst fear is that I'll wake up in the morning, and my ticket will say "Charlie Pride" or "Monster Truck Madness 2007" :(

I'm not sure where they'll turn up...but hopefully one of us will catch them. If it's the Confederation Building parking lot, I'm in luck :wink: (Somehow, I'm doubting that possibility.) What's really impressing me with these surprise gigs is how they seem to have people on the ground on every tour stop that really know the community well. Pretty thoughtful rock stars :wink:

See you at the show, GG! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

:rockon:

White Stripes Frontman Surfaces at Bingo Establishment
July 16, 2007

Jack and Meg White of the rock duo The White Stripes are gearing up for their final Canadian performance at Mile One Centre this evening. The band has already been popping up around St. John's. Tonight's concert marks the pairs final Canadian concert date, after playing in all the province's and territories. Throughout the tour, the band has been playing what's been dubbed "secret shows" at various locations before their scheduled concerts and St. John's was no exception. Jason Antle of Bingo Country says Jack White was among the men and women enjoying a good game of bingo last evening. Antle says the singer showed up mid-way and chose an empty table next to a women named Irene. White reportedly stayed for the evening, had pictures taken with the staff, and signed some bingo cards. Antle says he joked and had a great time. A caller to the VOCM Newsroom says before he left White sang "Good Night Irene" to the women sitting next to him. The band played on a transit bus while in Winnipeg, a flour mill in Ontario, a youth sports centre in Edmonton, and even on board a boat in Charlottetown, PEI.

http://www.vocm.com/news-info.asp?id=22035

:lol: :rockon:

Great show! :rockon:

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

I'll write a full review tomorrow. Have to be up at 6:00 AM to catch the bus back home. :crack:

It was great meeting you, AOD! I wish we could have stayed to chat for a bit longer after the show...my sister wasn't feeling very well and wanted to get back to the hotel as soon as possible, so we had to try to beat the rush for the taxis. Hope you got home safely!

GibsonGirl said:

I'll write a full review tomorrow. Have to be up at 6:00 AM to catch the bus back home. :crack:

It was great meeting you, AOD! I wish we could have stayed to chat for a bit longer after the show...my sister wasn't feeling very well and wanted to get back to the hotel as soon as possible, so we had to try to beat the rush for the taxis. Hope you got home safely!

It was great :rockon: :drool: It's a bit of a blur for me now, but hopefully I'll remember everything in sequence tomorrow...the giant slab of pizza I inhaled on the way home is making me groggy :wink: Great meeting you, too, GG! (Note to all non-attending Interferencers: GG is highly adorable and breathtakingly beautiful.) :combust:

Highlights: Amazing performances of Ball and Biscuit, I'm Slowly Turning Into You, A Martyr For My Love For You...Black Math :drool: Also, Meg taking the mic for In The Cold, Cold Night, which everyone seemed to love. She did an incredible job all night matching Jack's energy and tempo changes. It was also an incredible moment when everyone was stomping and clapping for an encore...the place was alive. It was completely surreal when I took a glimpse around me, and there was GG, on my left, also rooting them on! Also, Seven Nation Amy, during the encore, was mesmerizing :drool:

Low-lights: The building wasn't sold-out, which is a shame for a band of this calibre...they deserved a sell-out. There was also a guy in front of me smoking copious amounts of weed, while capturing the entire concert on his cell phone...serious back-draft into my row :grumpy:

Overall, and smoke aside, it was a great, great night...I thought they were actually playing better the longer they went on...I didn't want it to end :drool:

Last edited:
angelordevil said:

Highlights: Amazing performances of Ball and Biscuit, I'm Slowly Turning Into You, A Martyr For My Love For You...Black Math :drool: Also, Meg taking the mic for In The Cold, Cold Night, which everyone seemed to love. She did an incredible job all night matching Jack's energy and tempo changes. It was also an incredible moment when everyone was stomping and clapping for an encore...the place was alive. It was completely surreal when I took a glimpse around me, and there was GG, on my left, also rooting them on! Also, Seven Nation Amy, during the encore, was mesmerizing :drool:

:sad: Why couldn't I have been there?

[/emo]

GibsonGirl said:

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

Amazing!! I believe you had a great time! It's umbelieveble how two people can fill a stage... I want to see them so badly:sad: I'm still addicted to the album!

annie_vox said:

Amazing!! I believe you had a great time!

Still resonating, 24 hours later! I had the riffs from so many songs stuck in my head today...even while having complete conversations with people. I'm not sure if that's a talent or a curse :wink: I think the most repeated riff was from I’m Slowly Turning Into You, followed closely by the distorted effects of Icky Thump...they were like bagpipes on acid. :drool:

Another thing I really loved last night was the lighting of the stage...it had a kind of soft, magical quality to it. The entire time, either Jack or Meg would be silhouetted behind each other, casting a giant shadow on the backdrop. Looked a bit like one of those pop-up storybooks for kids.

Bottom line, EVERYONE should see this band, given the opportunity. Even if you don't know the words to every song, there's something devastatingly special about them. They're like a portal to the 60s, but you could also make a case for them being the most relevant and original band out there at the moment...pretty great combination.

This is the reported setlist, from a fan-site...they took better notes than me:

1.Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
2. (Partial Smell a Rat and then into)
3. Icky Thump
4. Effect and Cause
5. Hotel Yorba
6. The Same Boy You’ve Always Known
7. I’m Slowly Turning Into You
8. Jolene
9. Apple Blossom
10. Cold Cold Night
11. Death Letter
12. Martyr For My Love For You
13. My Doorbell
14. Ball and Biscuit

Encore

15. I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself
16. Catch Hell Blues (I think)
17. We are Going to be Friends
18. You’re Pretty Good Looking for a Girl
19. Seven Nation Army
20. Boll Weevil

I just missed the "secret show" yesterday on George Street before the main gig. Well, turns out it was rather easy to miss! Apparently, it was announced just shortly before that the performance would be "ONE NOTE ONLY." :lol: (The big speculation was whether it was an F or C sharp.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vYlHTGsmso

So quirky, so great! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Review time!

As I said last night, the band were great. Before I get to the actual review though, I must point out some of the negative aspects of the night. Neither of them have anything to do with Meg or Jack. First of all, Mile One's staff proved (yet again) that they are absolutely HOPELESS. You know how at merchandise stands, venue staff generally tend to keep different t-shirt sizes in separate boxes to make it easier to get them to the customers? Well, the two girls working at the stand I went to decided they'd just dump all of the t-shirts, both men's and women's sizes, on the table in one massive pile. It took me half an hour just to get one shirt, and in all that time they only served about ten people ahead of me! Ridiculous. The shirt is very cool though (a rib cage made of little white buttons), so I guess it was worth it. Then there was the fact that the venue was half-empty in the sections opposite the stage. There were whole rows that were left unclaimed... It must have been awful for Meg and Jack...their last Canadian date, and they're left staring out at about 100-200 empty seats. Mile One needs to do a better job of advertising concerts. I mean, if I hadn't seen this thread at Interference, I wouldn't have even known about the show in St. John's. There are no billboards outside, nothing. Even on the radio they did a pretty shitty job of promoting the concert. Everyone wonders why we don't get very many quality bands playing here... this is why.

But enough complaining. I had a great time at the show, despite sitting in a really lame section of people who didn't even bother to stand at any point during the concert. The stage was very impressive, with a red backdrop that reflected the band members' shadows wonderfully and a platform that Jack ascended to play a solo on (you can see him up there in my second picture.) Speaking of pictures, I was hardly able to get ANY because the shop outside the hotel I was staying at sold me a bunch of dud batteries! :mad: I was furious because I could have gotten some nice videos from where I was sitting. I could only get a few shots before the batteries died completely. Anyway. Meg and Jack put on a very enthusiastic performance, despite not having a sell-out crowd. Jack did apologise at one point for having some throat issues, although he sounded all right to me. I only heard his voice faltering once or twice. As for the setlist, Alzheimer's seems to be setting in early on me. Let me see what I can remember... not in any order, apart from the opening number: Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground, We're Going To Be Friends, Hotel Yorba, Icky Thump, I'm Slowly Turning Into You, A Martyr For My Love For You, Effect And Cause, Black Math, You're Pretty Good Looking (For A Girl), Ball And Biscuit, Hello Operator, In The Cold Cold Night, I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself, Seven Nation Army... I'm missing a whole lot more, but I cannot for the life of me remember them. For me, the highlight would definitely have to be Ball And Biscuit. It's probably my favourite White Stripes song and it was performed to perfection last night. Icky Thump was also incredible. Jack sounded demented while he was singing that one, attacked it with full force. Another highlight was the lighting during I'm Slowly Turning Into You. A red beam was shone up onto a mirror ball above the stage, which reflected thousands of red dots all around the arena. It was fantastic.

And while the venue wasn't sold out, I must say, everyone who showed up certainly showed their appreciation for the band before the encore. As AOD said, it was awesome hearing that small crowd trying to sound like a group of 20,000 strong. I'm proud to say I screamed until I was hoarse and clapped until my hands went raw. :wink:

Sadly, the show seemed to end too soon. Before I knew it, Jack was on the stage carrying the official flag of Newfoundland...and then up on the platform with Meg carrying the UNofficial flag of Newfoundland, which got a particularly enthusiastic cheer. A hint for any aspiring musicians: wave the Tricolour at a crowd of drunken Newfoundlanders if you want a roaring response. :wink: All in all, a fantastic show. Certainly the best I've seen in this province, that's for sure. I hope they come back here one day. Jack said they would!

EDIT: Haha, AOD, you posted the setlist while I was writing my review! Yeah, I missed a few. :crack: They're missing a few too! I KNOW Black Math and Hello Operator were played.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Speaking of pictures, I was hardly able to get ANY because the shop outside the hotel I was staying at sold me a bunch of dud batteries! :mad: I was furious because I could have gotten some nice videos from where I was sitting. I could only get a few shots before the batteries died completely.

That sucks. Try to take your own rechargeable batteries next time (preferably 4). :wink:

ntalwar said:

That sucks. Try to take your own rechargeable batteries next time (preferably 4). :wink:

I'm kicking myself because I usually DO take quite a few rechargable batteries when I go to concerts. I was running late yesterday morning before I got my ride into St. John's and completely forgot them. I should have tested out those batteries I bought before my sister and I went to the show...the whole pack (8 of them!) was full of duds. :mad:

GibsonGirl said:

EDIT: Haha, AOD, you posted the setlist while I was writing my review! Yeah, I missed a few. :crack: They're missing a few too! I KNOW Black Math and Hello Operator were played.

Definitely Black Math! I got lost in that one. :drool:

Great review :up: I had the same experience with the shirts :mad: I actually gave one guy with a kid a break by letting him in ahead of me, then others came in and got served first...I almost walked away. It was getting so close to show time at that point :angry:

On the upside, The lighting was so great, especially during I'm Slowly Turning Into You, like you said. Great, great performance of that...psychedelic, almost Zeppelin-like. :drool: That was a really special moment.

It was a great concert, in spite of most who were there, and those who weren't. All of the ingredients were there for something classic, however, and the band more than did their part. I hope they weren't disappointed with those empty seats...and that they DO come back. Better promotion, as you say...almost makes me want to go into the business! That's how passionately I feel about it.

It would've been so great if they had played a bit more...I was just getting going with my yelling...I actually bit my tongue (literally) right at the end before we said goodbye. Hurt like hell! :wink:

Too bad about your camera, GG...I should've taken mine, in hindsight. Security was pretty minimal. I found a few interesting ones here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rborja

How is the GA compared to a U2 show GA? More of a mosh pit?
Will probably see them next week.

ntalwar said:
How is the GA compared to a U2 show GA? More of a mosh pit?
Will probably see them next week.

Definitely mosh...a lot of thrashing and body surfing. Security were kept busy down there with crowd control, and just helping the surfers escape safely over the rail. Pretty fun to watch, actually...from a distance :wink:

I was thinking after how the rest of the floor was pretty open, and not very crowded back from the stage...would've been interesting to see if it was open for anyone with a seat ticket at that point.

LemonMelon said:

That was an F. :drool:

My Favrit :heart:

angelordevil said:

Definitely Black Math! I got lost in that one. :drool:

Great review :up: I had the same experience with the shirts :mad: I actually gave one guy with a kid a break by letting him in ahead of me, then others came in and got served first...I almost walked away. It was getting so close to show time at that point :angry:

On the upside, The lighting was so great, especially during I'm Slowly Turning Into You, like you said. Great, great performance of that...psychedelic, almost Zeppelin-like. :drool: That was a really special moment.

It was a great concert, in spite of most who were there, and those who weren't. All of the ingredients were there for something classic, however, and the band more than did their part. I hope they weren't disappointed with those empty seats...and that they DO come back. Better promotion, as you say...almost makes me want to go into the business! That's how passionately I feel about it.

It would've been so great if they had played a bit more...I was just getting going with my yelling...I actually bit my tongue (literally) right at the end before we said goodbye. Hurt like hell! :wink:

Too bad about your camera, GG...I should've taken mine, in hindsight. Security was pretty minimal. I found a few interesting ones here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rborja

I almost walked away from the merch stand as well. Even when we made it up to the front of the mass of people crowded around that little table, it took ten minutes to even grab the staff's attention. It was so frustrating! :mad:

Those photos are amazing - I know Raph, the person who took them. He was one of my friends at high school. Hilarious guy. He should be a professional photographer, not a Commerce major!

If Meg and Jack do come back, I hope they have a better opening act tagging along with them next time. :wink: (For the benefit of everyone else: AOD and I had a shouted conversation over an opening band that featured hideous vocals and more than one cringeworthy scream.) For me, the TRUE opening act would have to be the drunken girl doing cartwheels by the soundboard. Did you see her?! It was hilarious and disturbing at the same time. Security did the right thing by removing her by force. She really didn't want to go though. :lol: I almost died laughing when she hung on to the stair rail!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnq_vnZxH10 Cool video :drool:

Thanks for the reviews, guys :up: Missed seeing them in Montreal this time around but will go out for the next tour after reading these reviews :D

GibsonGirl said:

Memories :drool: From the angle, looks like it was taken really close to me...maybe it's the weed-smoking, camera phone journalist I mentioned earlier! :lol: This one is pretty neat, as well...god-awful sound, but gives a great close-up of the interplay between Meg and Jack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwm7vTu6wKY&mode=related&search=

That girl was hilarious! She was like a streaker who runs across a tennis court...a complete train-wreck you can't help but watch! She probably doesn't remember a thing!

I'm putting together a little greatest hits type thing for a friend (I don't find the albums really consistent enough on their own to get anyone all that interested, plus having a CD with Seven Nation Army, Ball & Biscuit, and Icky Thump on it is never a bad thing). Here's a quick scan of what I have so far:

picturepn1.jpg

I'm mostly just going for the hits, singles and well-known songs, but is there anything I missed? :slant:

Back
Top Bottom