The White Stripes - Icky Thump, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The more I listen to this, the more I believe it to be a genuine 5 star album. There really is a beauty to its erraticism- the same type of quality that I find in the White Album.

Ball & Biscuit, bitches :drool:

What an amazing concert....wow, I'm speechless.

My only disappointment was that they didn't play Rag & Bone. Or, rather, they played the first few bars and then switched to another song, whose title escapes me at the moment.

:rockon:

I...REALLY hate this album. That is all. I won't bring any hate, or anything; I just had to get that out of my system.

I have basically enjoyed The White Stripes, over the years, but this one ain't for me. Ugh.

If you shout... said:
I...REALLY hate this album. That is all. I won't bring any hate, or anything; I just had to get that out of my system.

I have basically enjoyed The White Stripes, over the years, but this one ain't for me. Ugh.

Figures! If it's not The Hold Steady, it's automatically a negative comment.

What do you like? I've never seen you praise anything, only put stuff down.

The OOTS

Figures! If it's not The Hold Steady, it's automatically a negative comment.

Aside from maybe two or three other people on this board of whom I can think (apologies, I suppose, if anybody finds him- or herself inexplicably offended by this comment), I don't think that there's anybody around here who listens to as much music as I do. Correspondingly, I also like a good deal more of it than do most.

inmyplace 13

Well...I just said that I liked the previous output of The White Stripes. Sorry for not only liking their newest...?

Also I started up a threat in praise of the latest Architecture in Helsinki album literally just a few hours ago, and was considering posting something to gush about the newest, amazing SFA LP, Hey Venus!. Since you seem to be the most positive person around these parts, though, I'll cheerily leave it to you.

A few people around these parts need to chill the fuck out, by my reckoning. Go back and re-read the non-confrontational nature of my initial post, realize how fucking insane you are, and then let's have an ice cream sundae over...well, let me think. Of the 20 or so new albums to which I've listened this week, which was my favorite...? I guess it'll have to be over DJ IYS's Step the Fuck Off My Nuts. That shit is dope.

If you shout... said:

and was considering posting something to gush about the newest, amazing SFA LP, Hey Venus!.

Leaks aren't my bag nowadays, but this one excites me quite a bit. :drool: I love SFA.

I'm fucking insane then? The vast majority of your posts that I've read have only been negative. Forgive me for wondering if there is any music you actually enjoy.

I never claimed to be the most positive person around here. By no stretch am I even close to it. Maybe before you get all riled up again, you can reread my post and realize it wasn't really confrontational either.

Whatever, I think the album is awesome. It sounds better to me with every listen.

White Stripes in nine days! :rockon:

inmyplace13 said:

That's the original. You've since revised it to sound less confrontational by changing your mind--first I only put things down and praise nothing, now I mostly put stuff down but praise a few things. I'm done with the thread and this "dicusssion," and while I harbour no ill will (I actually agree with your taste, a lot of the time, and always read what you have to say about things, because you normally come across as well-read musically open-minded), but I'm certainly done with this thread. I'm above this kind of petty revisionism and bickering. Like I said, I didn't come to bring the hate, but rather TO SHARE MY OPINION ABOUT AN ALBUM IN A THREAD DEVOTED TO DOING JUST THAT.

I'm sorry that I don't like Icky Thump, but it's just not my cup of tea. I'll take De Stijl or even White Blood Cells any day of the week. It's not terrible...I just don't think it has any notably strong songs. I thought that Get Behind Me, Satan was surprisingly uneven, but its highs were heavenly. This one sounds to me very plateau-ish.

The End.

Peace be with y'all.

Revised it? I didn't touch either one of those posts other than a touch up to the first one that obviously occurred within a minute of it being posted. Nice try though.

:wave:

If you shout... said:

Like I said, I didn't come to bring the hate, but rather TO SHARE MY OPINION ABOUT AN ALBUM IN A THREAD DEVOTED TO DOING JUST THAT.

You brought the hate by saying you HATED the album in your original post. Did I not read it right?

See ya until you crap in another thread! :wave:

Listening to it right now...don't even know why I bothered (never liked any of their other albums), but I like to hear everything I can from Pitchfork's Best New Music/Recommendations.

Just don't get Jack White at all. There's about a half dozen killer tunes from him, but the rest is really boring with his sparse arrangements and insipid/soulless lyrics. It seems like he could write a lot of these numbers (particularly those on the earlier albums) in about five minutes.

BigMacPhisto said:
It seems like he could write a lot of these numbers (particularly those on the earlier albums) in about five minutes.

Personally, I think a lot of the greatness of the Stripes lies in the fact that their sparse, simple arrangements can make a song seem to be thrown together and off the cuff. I think that's the ultimate reason I've never chalked up a shitty Stripes song to being overcalculated, which is one of the worst things an artist can do with a song. I really like the fact that even the music sometimes has a stream of consciousness feel.

BigMacPhisto said:
Listening to it right now...don't even know why I bothered (never liked any of their other albums), but I like to hear everything I can from Pitchfork's Best New Music/Recommendations.

You might be the only person I've seen who listens to Pitchfork.

Pitchfork's got tastes that are very similar to mine. I'm not too big into their reviews though...I don't even bother, really. Just check out the Best New Music which is on target 95% of the time, and Recommended which is worth a look if you have a lot of free time on occasion.

I'm totally addicted to the new album right now, :drool: It's dangerously close to overtaking De Stijl as my second-favourite White Stripes album (White Blood Cells still being my top pick). Hopefully they'll make their way to Melbourne... maybe for another Big Day Out?

BigMacPhisto said:
Pitchfork's got tastes that are very similar to mine. I'm not too big into their reviews though...I don't even bother, really. Just check out the Best New Music which is on target 95% of the time, and Recommended which is worth a look if you have a lot of free time on occasion.

I go there sometimes, mainly for a laugh.

It's great to see them foaming at the mouth for every Radiohead album ever released. Granted, I love Radiohead, but that online mag's indie-snobbery is beyond me most of the time.

I hate Pitchfork. The worst is when people model their taste in music based on Pitchfork. Oh, Pitchfork says it's good, so I'm going to automatically like it!

That said, their assessment of Icky Thump is pretty damn good. :wink: Not to mention their assessment of some other albums, like The Final Cut.

I prefer checking out PopMatters and Metacritic rather than Pitchfork, although I very rarely read the reviews in full. One, even the most detailed review won't really give me an idea of what the music actually sounds like, and two, I get quickly fed up with the kind of overblown, clever-clever, thesaurus-bothering reviews written by people who seem way too much in love with the sound of their own voice. Which I meet frequently in a whole lot of publications.

Saracene said:
I prefer checking out PopMatters and Metacritic rather than Pitchfork, although I very rarely read the reviews in full. One, even the most detailed review won't really give me an idea of what the music actually sounds like, and two, I get quickly fed up with the kind of overblown, clever-clever, thesaurus-bothering reviews written by people who seem way too much in love with the sound of their own voice. Which I meet frequently in a whole lot of publications.

:up:

Metacritic and PopMatters are at least collections of reviews, so you can weed out the really shitty ones.

I saw the White Stripes last night in Ottawa as they headlined Sunday's lineup at Bluesfest. Great show and their secret show in Ottawa was at a children's hospital for sick kids and their families.

The stage was bright red with their onstage speakers painted white with red maple leafs in the centre. They played mostly new songs during their 1:30 set with the exception of Seven Nation Army. Meg sang a song for us and Jack showed why he is considered such an amazing guitarist.

The crowd was not to engaging as they are probably used to with a mix of fans and Bluesfest ticket holders who were just there to see another concert. It seemed to me that Jack was used to seeing a lot of fan participation but it was poor at times. Probably somewhere between 30000 and 35000 fans in attendance. And at the end, they waved the provincial flag of Ontario keeping their tradition they have started during this cross-Canada tour.

Enjoy the show in St. John's, GG and AOD!! I won't be back in time. Still have some more touring of the country before I get there.

Back
Top Bottom