The White Stripes - Icky Thump, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:

This is the greatest sentence ever.

Oh god, that's not the worst of it. :uhoh: When I was just starting to become aware of myself and my surroundings after the surgery was complete, the surgeon's assistant said something to me that I can't quite remember, to which I exclaimed "I LIKE CATS!" and giggled hysterically. I had gauze in my mouth so that made it even worse. My mother said the surgeon and his staff couldn't stop grinning when they called her in to see me in the recovery room. :lol:

This needed to be on YouTube. :lol:

If only your Canadian stalkers had seen you then :tsk:

I got tickets for the Albuquerque show in October last night. I didn't even know about the show until a friend came over last night and told me we should think about going. I'm like, tickets are already on sale and you want to think about it?! It's a fairly small theatre and I just knew it would be sold out but we got a very nice pair of seats. It was a nice little surprise. I don't know how I almost missed this. So bizarre that a good show is coming to Abq! I don't have to cross a state line to see a show! :shocked: :wink:

The first and only time I've been high was under the gas when I get my wisdom teeth out. Apparently I sang "Yellow Submarine" and quoted Hamlet, making it difficult to remove them. Then I remember singing along to "American Pie" on the radio and staggering out of the office with my mother who for some reason thought giving me food was a good idea right away, ginormous swollen tongue and all. It was a special day.

martha said:
I just got done listening to most of Icky Thump at the gym this morning. I love it!

But will it ever be loud enough? :D

:laugh:

ooooh...new gym music! Must go shopping during lunch.

I'm finally picking Icky Thump up tonight...I will be cranking it up very loudly in my room and under the heaphones. Will report back. :sexywink:

GibsonGirl said:

Oh god, that's not the worst of it. :uhoh: When I was just starting to become aware of myself and my surroundings after the surgery was complete, the surgeon's assistant said something to me that I can't quite remember, to which I exclaimed "I LIKE CATS!" and giggled hysterically. I had gauze in my mouth so that made it even worse.

:lol: I'm literally choking on my glass of Coke right now from laughing so hard! So hilarious! Hope that codeine is still working its magic :up:

Thanks to work, I didn't get much time to listen to the album today. However, I'm really loving the title track more and more with each spin in the car :drool: It's also got a killer lyric:"...Well, Americans/What, nothin' better to do?/Why don't you kick yourself out?/You're an immigrant too. Jack's playing is also amazingly creative...it kind of hints at how great he must be live.

Speaking of live, I just read about this a few minutes ago! http://blueroom.att.com/events/whitestripes.php A "Live from "Icky Thump" Records" webcast from California :drool:

It starts at 8 pm Pacific time...

Set so far:

Icky Thump
Dead Leaves
Cause & Effect
Hotel Yorba
Slowly Turning into You
Rag & Bone (cut short, goes into Cannon)
Cannon
Jolene
Martyr for Your Love
Catch Hell Blues (short, into Death Letter)
Death Letter

Final Setlist

Icky Thump
Dead Leaves
Cause & Effect
Hotel Yorba
I'm Slowly Turning into You
Rag & Bone >Cannon
Jolene
A Martyr For My Love 4 You
Catch Hell Blues > Death Letter
encore
Black Math > Rag & Bone reprise > Screwdriver >Skinny Jim ? (need help on this one) > Screwdriver
Seven Nation Army
Boll Weevil

OK, I'm officially ready for the tour. :yes:

Martha - Another White Stripes pre-sale for the Forum show on 9/19 Starts: Fri. June 22 @ 10 AM
Ends: Fri. June 22 @ 10 PM. Password = 'forum' :shh:

I have nothing to say about this record yet. It's the complete opposite of Get Behind Me Satan from an aesthetic point of view...GBMS was too lo-fi, thin, and underworked to possibly love, but Icky Thump is incredibly overproduced, huge, complicated, and bizarre, which means it could take me a while to really get into. And it's the little things that are the most odd...the time signatures (which they seem to not even follow at times), the strange, wordy narratives (Little Cream Soda, 300 MPH), and songs with no discernible structure or melody whatsoever (St. Andrew, Catch Hell Blues).

Give me a couple more weeks and 30 more listens, and I'll tell you what I think. :wink:

Highlights so far:

Icky Thump
You Don't Know What Love Is
300 MPH
Prickly Thorn
I'm Slowly Turning Into You
Effect And Cause

hardyharhar said:
Final Setlist

Icky Thump
Dead Leaves
Cause & Effect
Hotel Yorba
I'm Slowly Turning into You
Rag & Bone >Cannon
Jolene
A Martyr For My Love 4 You
Catch Hell Blues > Death Letter
encore
Black Math > Rag & Bone reprise > Screwdriver >Skinny Jim ? (need help on this one) > Screwdriver
Seven Nation Army
Boll Weevil

OK, I'm officially ready for the tour. :yes:

did ANYBODY record this or anything?

i really want to see/hear this...

I've listened to this damn record 7 times since 10:00 last night. :mad:

I think it's starting to wind itself into my subconscious, however...I'm Slowly Turning Into You is stuck in my head now. :giggle:

LemonMelon said:
And it's the little things that are the most odd...the time signatures (which they seem to not even follow at times), the strange, wordy narratives (Little Cream Soda, 300 MPH)

Oh well, oh well, oh well!! Yeah, it's rather nutty :wink: I'm still digesting it all...but it's definitely a great album, pure and simple. It's not revolutionary, by any means, but there's still something really special about the stripped-down spontaneity of their sound. It's primal, strange...and in a live setting, it's probably the closest I'll ever get to seeing Led Zeppelin and the 1960s :wink:

nightninja56 said:

did ANYBODY record this or anything?

i really want to see/hear this...

http://blueroom.att.com/whitestripes/index.php :drool:

I said it once, I'll say it again: Everything from Little Cream Soda on is gold, Jerry. Gold!

I'm with Banyan (or inmyplace13) :wink: on this one. Has already thumped GBMS in my book and probably De Stijl. How prolific is Jack, he'll probably have a new Raconteurs cd in a few months also.

Icky won't make me forget Elephant, :drool: but it's nice to know Jack still may have another one in him. :ohmy:

martha said:
I can't stop listening to Icky Thump, and I loved Get Behind Me.

On a side note, I got nifty loge tickets to the LA gig during the KROQ presale today. :wink:

What section are you in?
And I liked the last album - don't know much material before that, except from overhearing what hubby plays (Yes, I know 7 Nation Army, Jolene {cover},...)

Last edited:
Get Behind Me Satan is quite underrated I feel...never understood what was wrong with the songs themselves (the production is absolutely awful, but that's another story). I think another week would have made that record a classic. As it is, Icky Thump is the frightening polar opposite of GBMS and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. :crack:

I still haven't heard this album yet.
wail.gif
Considering the fact that my cheeks have swelled to squirrelish proportions and that my jaw feels like it's going to implode whenever I open my mouth, perhaps it's just as well. I wouldn't be able to sing along.

By the way, I think GBMS is under-rated as well. I don't really understand why it gets knocked so much. I mean, it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything, but it's not a bad album.

GibsonGirl said:
I still haven't heard this album yet.
wail.gif
Considering the fact that my cheeks have swelled to squirrelish proportions and that my jaw feels like it's going to implode whenever I open my mouth, perhaps it's just as well. I wouldn't be able to sing along.

:yikes: Ouch, what do you have, Steph? :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom