The White Stripes are done.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. I guess if there's an upshot to this, it could be that more people will discover their fucking awesome music.

It's not surprising either. Like I said earlier, I'm a massive fan of this band, and the news immediately made me break out their albums for the first time in a while. When something dies, I guess it just makes people more interested in it, and want to be appreciative of it.

Like when Michael Jackson died, I swear for like a month there afterward you couldn't walk down the street without hearing Billie Jean or Beat It or whatever.

And they really did end in top form. Icky Thump is damn near a masterpiece, even though De Stijl is probably still my favorite Stripes album.

And they really did end in top form. Icky Thump is damn near a masterpiece, even though De Stijl is probably still my favorite Stripes album.

They have to compete against themselves which is hard to do as your comment proves. If they felt they couldn't come up with enough fresh material without letting fans down in terms of quality then it's good they move on.

http://pitchfork.com/news/42159-white-stripes-to-release-live-album-and-dvd/

The White Stripes may be gone, but thanks to Jack White's Third Man Records, we can soon buy plenty of White Stripes music that we haven't heard before. As the Third Man website points out, the latest package available to subscribers to Third Man's Vault subscription series consists of a double-vinyl recording of the White Stripes' last-ever live show in 2007, a DVD of a live show from 2000, and a 7" single of some of their earliest recordings.

Live in Mississippi, the 180-gram vinyl double album, is a complete recording of the band's final show, which took place in Southaven, Mississippi on July 31, 2007. The sprawling tracklist includes covers of old blues greats Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, and Son House, as well as tracks from throughout their career. Speaking as someone who caught one show from that final tour, the band was in an absolutely magnificent zone onstage at the time.

The DVD is Under Moorhead Lights All Fargo Night, a recording of a show at Ralph's Corner Bar in Moorhead, Minnesota in June 2000, shortly after the release of their album De Stijl. The show includes a cover of Iggy Pop's "I'm Bored". We've got the tracklists for Live in Mississippi and Under Moorhead Lights All Fargo Night below.

The 7" single features two songs that the band recorded in 1997, before the release of their first single: covers of Love's "Signed D.C." and Otis Redding's "I've Been Loving You Too Long".

Live in Mississippi:

01 Stop Breaking Down (Robert Johnson cover)
02 Let's Build a Home
03 When I Hear My Name
04 Icky Thump
05 Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground/As Ugly As I Seem
06 The Same Boy You've Always Known
07 Wasting My Time
08 Phonograph Blues (Robert Johnson cover)
09 Cannon/John the Revelator (Traditional)
10 Death Letter (Son House cover)
11 Astro
12 Apple Blossom
13 You Don't Know What Love Is (You Do as You're Told)
14 In the Cold, Cold Night
15 I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart
16 Hotel Yorba
17 A Martyr for My Love for You
18 Ball and Biscuit
19 300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues
20 Blue Orchid
21 I'm Slowly Turning Into You
22 Boll Weevil

Under Moorhead Lights All Fargo Night:

01 Let's Shake Hands
02 Screwdriver
03 Wasting My Time
04 Jolene (Dolly Parton cover)
05 Little Bird
06 Apple Blossom
07 You're Pretty Good Looking (For a Girl)
08 Your Southern Can is Mine (Blind Willie McTell cover)
09 Sugar Never Tasted So Good
10 Truth Doesn't Make a Noise
11 I'm Bored (Iggy Pop cover)
12 Cannon/John the Revelator (Traditional)

Back
Top Bottom