The War on Drugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
A week or so ago I came across a free track of theirs on Amazon. Gave it a listen because the idea of a band being compared to Bob Dylan, Arcade Fire AND My Morning Jacket was just too strange for words.

For at least this song, those comparisons were pretty damn accurate:

The War On Drugs - "Baby Missiles" (Official Video) - YouTube

I went ahead and listened to their newest album, Slave Ambient, this evening, and while it doesn't quite live up to that first song there, it is quite good. I wish the lead singer hadn't emulated Kurt Vile so much (and emulate is likely the right word, since Vile was originally a member of the band) because the dragged out vocals just don't quite work with the style of music, but it's a damn fine album and I definitely want to go back and hear a bit more of what they have to offer.

Also:

Sorry, live's gonna have to do
The War On Drugs "Best Night" Live at KDHX 3/28/11 (HD) - YouTube

and:

The War on Drugs- Come to the City - YouTube

I bought myself a ticket to see Purling Hiss today, and these guys are the headliners for that show in October. I listened to some of one of their records at Fingerprints the other day, but didn't buy it.

I like what I can listen to tonight.

For some reason I want to sing Rise by Public Image Ltd over Baby Missiles when I hear it. I have no idea why.

this was more intriguing comment than that dylan/arcade/MMJ thing. i hear eddie and the cruisers.

now "best night" reminds me of "i'm on fire," but GOOD, particularly the instrumental end.

since eddie and the cruisers is a rip on certain 80s springsteen, does that mean we can throw that in here as well? huh.

i bet my brother would hate this. i'd put money on that. it's pretty awesome.

so i listened to this last night and i really liked it. their singer sounds like a mix of Ashcroft and Dylan, lol!

I'm on Fire really is a great song. It packs a lot of feeling into those two minutes.

Anyway, this War on Drugs album is most definitely on my radar. I just need to find it for a decent price around these parts.

I don't care if you're busy saving a life or whatever, but I demand that you get right the fuck over here and explain this bullshit that just came from your mouth.

:lol:

if we conviniently forget about human touch, there are probably only about 3 or 4 springsteen songs i actively dislike. "i'm on fire" falls onto this list. on the one hand, i like the eerie synth-iness because it has the same sort of feel to it that "downbound train" has (and that song lands in my top 10 springsteen songs of all time, or would if i could fully assemble such a list. pretty sure that would make my brain explode, and i'd have to make a 10-tier list with several times that number actually on it, and that would only cause further mental implosion)--depressing, sounds really good at night in a dark place, and evokes what amounts to a really comfortable "no, everything is not going to be alright" (or perhaps comforting, which is in and of itself somewhat fucked up. but um, look who you're talking to...) feeling. story-wise, "downbound train" is much more fleshed out, and just pulls off that feeling so much better. plus, that banjo thing he was doing with the song on what i think was the devils & dust tour didn't do anything good for the song. the "woooooooooo ooooooooh"s also kind of annoy me.

anyway, the end of "best night" reminds me of that. which, despite all of my anti-i'm on fire sentiments, that's what i liked best about the song.

no, it had nothing to do with those crazy time or newsweek people way back when who were convinced that springsteen was the next dylan, and the war on drugs dude bearing some kind of vocal resemblence to (any) dylan. i'm sure that's not what you thought i meant, i just figured i'd add that as well.

I was referring to the fact that you suggested that "I'm On Fire" is not inherently Good...and now I see that's how you truly feel :(.

yeah, i know. i don't hate it like i hate "hungry heart," but it's close.

:shifty:

:ohmy:

I think I might be in love with you...just a little bit, IWB...is that ok?

Oh wait...I just remembered that "I'm on Fire" thing...nevermind.

:wink:?

I finally got around to this album today, and I was really impressed. The synth-drone atmospherics combined with what I have to describe as Dylan-esque vocals is a unique pairing that works really well, I think.

These guys were pretty good last night. I bought their record, so we'll see how that goes. Since I went to the show just to see Purling Hiss, I knew I could leave at any time during The War on Drugs' set. I lasted until 12:20, with only two songs left (so he said), but only because I was so damn tired. I liked them very much. At first I though they were a little too soothing. That's the word that came to mind during the songs: "soothing". But I liked the sound of those songs very much. His voice reminds me of someone, and it's driving me nuts right now. I'll think of it. I'll put the album in the car spinner and give it a go. I expect to be very happy with it.

He sounds almost TOO much like Kurt Vile to me, if that might be who you were thinking of.

Back
Top Bottom