The War on Drugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How good is this? I can't stop listening to it and keep uncovering new things to enjoy.

And the album cover creeps me out in an Aqualung kinda way.

If you're going to cobbler, at least go listen to baby missiles as well.

And Brothers, which is even better.

I can't remember any other songs on Slave Ambient by name.

Last edited:
After peaking on a sugar rush, then crashing, then coming back up, I think my feeling for this album is growing.

See, usually albums that sound bang-up great the first listen are rubbish. I think this time it's not that, and it really is a darn good record. But the line is oooh so fine. It's a veritable tightrope this guy is walking!

For anyone who may still be looking for the vinyl, the Secretly Canadian site has it again for $20, as opposed to the 30-40 it is going for elsewhere online.

Saw them in DC two nights ago and came out a bigger fan than I was. Adam can shred on guitar! The songs definitely take on a new dimension when played live. Lots of energy, very exciting show.

I've enjoyed both albums quite a bit (though I've given the new one probably 2 or 3 times more listens because I got it a week or two earlier than Slave Ambient). Maybe it's just because I'm more familiar with it, but I think I like the new one a bit more than than Slave Ambient at this point, though I'm REALLY liking Come To The City.

Not sure if anyone else agrees, but I really wish the third song on the new album wouldn't have made the cut. It seems to kill the momentum of the album for me every time I listen to it. Never really goes anywhere, and almost ruins my enjoyment the two songs that start the album because I know it's coming (which is probably weird, as I know Cobbs and NSW like that first song a ton, and the second song was the lead single). I absolutely love every single song after it though. There's something about the guitar in some of the tracks later on that almost reminds me of Pink Floyd, soothing but entertaining to listen to. I've really enjoyed it as the soundtrack to my drive to and from work.

I too prefer the new album overall.

Suffering, while not my favorite track, fits ok where it is. It gives the listener a bit of a needed respite after that fantastic opening double shot before heading into arguably the best song on the album. I don't mind the change of pace.

I will say though, that the sudden ending of An Ocean In Between The Waves irks me. It's my favorite on that album, but a nice, long fadeout would work much better there.

I've enjoyed both albums quite a bit (though I've given the new one probably 2 or 3 times more listens because I got it a week or two earlier than Slave Ambient). Maybe it's just because I'm more familiar with it, but I think I like the new one a bit more than than Slave Ambient at this point, though I'm REALLY liking Come To The City.

Not sure if anyone else agrees, but I really wish the third song on the new album wouldn't have made the cut. It seems to kill the momentum of the album for me every time I listen to it. Never really goes anywhere, and almost ruins my enjoyment the two songs that start the album because I know it's coming (which is probably weird, as I know Cobbs and NSW like that first song a ton, and the second song was the lead single). I absolutely love every single song after it though. There's something about the guitar in some of the tracks later on that almost reminds me of Pink Floyd, soothing but entertaining to listen to. I've really enjoyed it as the soundtrack to my drive to and from work.

I can see where you're coming from with Suffering. I'd say it is probably the least generally enjoyable track on the album, and it didn't seem all that remarkable on first few listens. Maybe this is because I have listened to the album a couple of a dozen times, but by now I can't really imagine the album without it. Pleasant enough.

Back
Top Bottom