The War on Drugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well...there's hard to find wrong with this album. I'm back on the train.

Red Eyes, An Ocean in Between the Waves, Disappearing and In Reverse :love:

Either this or Morning Phase is my favorite album of the year so far. The only slight drawback of this otherwise outstanding album is its length. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any individual song, it's just maybe too much of a good thing.

Adam Granduciel is a gun, albeit a pretty awkward, frontman.

Really looking forward to this one. Red Eyes is super pretty.

Screenshot2014-02-27at31601PM_zps53d064e8.png

Listened a few times now. It's good. Not sure if I prefer it over Slave Ambient yet.

Early highlights for me are Under The Pressure and In Reverse.

Red Eyes is still superb, even though I've listened to it two dozen times or so. They have really hit another level - I was strolling outside a Top Shop and wouldn't you know it, Red Eyes was blaring. Seemed odd that this was the same band who sadly drew just a row or three of punters at Falls two and a half months ago.

I get to drive around regional Victoria for a few days in a couple of weeks for work. This album alone has actually got me really excited about hitting the freeways. Music to drive to.

I have to point out how pleased I am with the record packaging. I have a few other recent releases I haven't opened that might be similar, but I've got to say, the cardboard stock they used on this should be utilized in every vinyl release. There's no excuse. Not only does it hold the images well and look very glossy, but it's incredibly sturdy stock. Couple that with the paper sleeves also having well-printed images and a good thickness and it really makes me wish more were like this...I mean, for twenty bucks I'm getting a double purple vinyl LP with phenomenal packaging...can't go wrong with that.

We have a thread for The War on Drugs?! Wow, I really haven't been here much in recent years.

I'm very much looking froward to seeing them in April, to the point where I'm staying out for their show mere hours before having to get on a plane for Port-au-Prince.

Completely agree on the packaging. My copy was $18.99 and I'm so impressed with the entire thing. The heavy cardboard and printed sleeves are fantastic, and the purple haze wax is really cool.

This album is totally badass. to call it an instant classic seems like hyperbole, but i think it's accurate.

there's a great writeup from Steve Hyden on Grantland. In it he shares some of the details of the recording process. it's a good read.

The War on Drugs Gets Ready to Play the Big Rooms «

In the meantime, there are some great live versions floating around youtube - this live studio session performed as (i think) a 4 piece really lets the songwriting shine:
The War on Drugs - "Eyes to the Wind" (Live at WFUV) - YouTube

and then this is just awesome:
The War On Drugs - An Ocean Between The Waves (Philly) 3-14-14 - YouTube

Catching the show in Chicago tonight and i'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Just had my first listen.

I liked it, but it didn't grab me right away like Slave Ambient did. Considering how much I love that album, I'm a little let down by this one.

Still looking forward to seeing them next Friday.

This must be the most invisible putative album-of-the-year ever. Nobody (including, it must be said, me) has anything much to say about it. Maybe the territory is just too well-traversed.

This must be the most invisible putative album-of-the-year ever. Nobody (including, it must be said, me) has anything much to say about it. Maybe the territory is just too well-traversed.

Not sure what you mean by this. It's fairly unique, in my opinion, in how it uses guitar soloing as atmosphere rather than bravado and how smoothly it switches gears within songs (Red Eyes, for example). It also has a distinct feeling to it that never gets monotonous; that makes it work great as background music or as a focused listen. Really a great album any way you look at it.

I'm with Cori here. I like it enough, but I loved the last one so much that this one doesn't grab me as much as I wanted it to.

However, I'm happy to be seeing them at the Troubadour tonight.
My cousin lives in San Diego and is seeing them tomorrow.

Cobblering it with this new one. The opening track is pretty damn pleasant to my ears. Feels like a lost radio hit from the 80s. I dig it.

Back
Top Bottom