The Walkmen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like 'The Rat' and 'We've Been Had'.

I dont really know anything else. I had a bunch of songs from their first album a while back, didnt like them. I've heard their second (most recent) is better though.

Cool, let me know the names. I've been meaning to check it out, I really do like 'The Rat' a lot. They've definitely shown me that they can make some great music with that song and 'We've Been Had'.

I love this album. The Rat is a great place to start but I've found I like every song. Highly recommended.

Man, there are some folks at the Ryan board who just keep raving about these guys...I really have to check them out ASAP.

Hey u2mofo, check out "What's in it for me", "Little old house of savages", "My Old Man", and "Thinking of a dream I had".

Lot's of good energy. Highly enjoyable. :up:

Zoorock Girl! said:
Hey u2mofo, check out "What's in it for me", "Little old house of savages", "My Old Man", and "Thinking of a dream I had".

Lot's of good energy. Highly enjoyable. :up:

Thanks for the recommendations. I had downloaded 'Little Old House of Savages' a week or so ago too, it's good. I'll look into the others.

Great live band. The drummer is amazing.

Although, I know have it stuck in my mind that the singer sounds like Rod Stewart. :|

what do these guys do if they don't fucking rule?

answer me that

So tell us all about the show Zonelistener! I wanna know all the details.

That Zonelistener character is so stuck up, he never even answered.

I didn't want to make a new thread, but I wanted to say that 'You & Me' from last year is a fantastic album, and I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I almost like 'In The New Year' as much as 'The Rat'. Almost.

I didn't want to make a new thread, but I wanted to say that 'You & Me' from last year is a fantastic album, and I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I almost like 'In The New Year' as much as 'The Rat'. Almost.

Man, such an awesome album! In the New Year is one of the best songs I had heard in a long time. You & Me is my favourite album of last year (followed closely by fleet foxes). I cant say enough good things about it

Just wanna say I'm seeing these guys tomorrow night and I am fucking stoked

Very cool, I'm jealous. Make sure to report back with impressions so that I can live vicariously through your concert attendence.

Over the last few months, I've started to like 'I Lost You' nearly as much as 'In The New Year'. Great songs.

Alright, so I just got in from the concert. What a fucking show! First off, Hamilton sings with intensity like no one else I've seen. and at such a high register. I mean like, veins-popping-out-the-neck intensity for every song. I have no idea how he does that night after night without ruining his voice. The band sounded awesome. Their songs translate so well to being played live. I'm pretty sure their latest album was recorded live anyway, so I guess thats to be expected, but regardless, they sounded incredible. Every little sound you expect to hear from the studio recordings was there: triangle, maraca, those little wooden sticks they bang together, everything. They even brought a little horn section in to round off the sound for certain songs. I was surprised that within the first 5 songs, we already had In the New Year, On the Water AND The Rat. My girlfriend was afraid they blew their load too early, but the rest of the show was just as impressive. U2popmofo, you'll be happy to know that I Lost You was one of the standout songs of the concert. They played a couple new songs which sounded really good. I think he said one of them was called Crackhead. The band finished off the encore with Donde Esta la Playa (the drums in that song were sweet live), then everyone but Hamilton and the guitarist left the stage and they finished off the show with New Country. I cant say enough good things about the show. I even got a pretty sweet shirt at the end, sold to me by the guitarist Paul Maroon and I got to shake the mans hand and tell him what an awesome show it was. If you get a chance to see them, definitely go

Oh and also, the opening act was pretty decent. Usually, if I dont know the opener, I view them as something getting in between me and who I paid money to see, but this guy wasnt bad at all (I think its just the guy with a backing band). Cass McCombs. Anyone ever heard of him? I think hes from Chicago. Check this tune out. This one almost has a Vampire Weekend feel to it, though I wouldnt say that was true of his other stuff

http://stereogum.com/archives/mp3/new-cass-mccombs-thats-that_006413.html

Its not ground breaking by any stretch, but its a catchy little tune

Edit: I cant embed the mp3 for some reason, but theres a link from that page thats pretty obvious

Sounds like an awesome show! Thanks for the review, I'll have to listen to some tracks from the album while I'm at the gym.

I will listen to 'In the New Year' numerous times over the next few weeks.

That's how it started and that's how it ends.

I always crank a newyear themed song at the stroke of midnight (I know its cheesy, but such is new years eve). It used to be New Years Day, but I think In the New Year will be a good choice this year :up:

on a related note, the song New Year's Eve is the perfect soundtrack for when the party has died down, the floor is a mess, and there are bodies passed out all around the house

New album on September 14th, coming to Toronto on October 9th, and the new album cover which I really like

Walkmen.jpg

I'm stoked already

Back
Top Bottom