The Walkmen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried my hardest to talk my friends into going to The Walkmen when we were in Boston last week, I was not successful.

lame friends :down:

did you end up going to any shows? or finding anything else worthwhile i wasn't able to direct you towards? how was newbury comics? huh? do share.

Hmm? Mikal is just posting about his leaky faucet. It seems to be causing him many issues of late, and I'm not sure why he posts about it in different threads.

I need to listen to more of these guys. That drummer is intense, so is the singer. Definitely going to see them at Twilight this year.

If you like the Walkmen for the drumming, you are going to be disappointed. What a languid record.

Not, actually, in a You & Me kind of way, mind you. It's very much a rock record. But it's a lazy, relaxing one. The band who wrote The Rat seems an eternity away. I don't know if that's a good thing or not; I need to spend more time with this one.

BTW, Heaven is my favorite after one go. I think that one is the closest to old school Walkmen; great, wailing vocals, clattering drums and a faster pace.

If you like the Walkmen for the drumming, you are going to be disappointed. What a languid record.

Not, actually, in a You & Me kind of way, mind you. It's very much a rock record. But it's a lazy, relaxing one. The band who wrote The Rat seems an eternity away. I don't know if that's a good thing or not; I need to spend more time with this one.

Seems more in line with Lisbon and with what they've been doing live, so it's not a huge surprise for me. I like it on the first go around. I have to give a few of the songs a little more time to grow, but that's always the case with these guys. I really like Heartbreaker

After one quick listen, this one seems to be on par with Lisbon, which I listened to about six times and never cared to hear again. It's fine music, I can't find anything wrong with it. It just doesn't make me feel much of anything.

The backdrop photo of a domesticated, Billy Reid-worthy Matt Barrick on their website couldn't be a more appropriate metaphor for this music.

The Walkmen

Yeah, it's definitely Lisbon: Part II. I'm not really complaining though since I quite liked that record. It's just that the last two don't have the overall depth or individuality of songs like Bows + Arrows and You & Me.

Should do fine on my year-end list.

That's kinda how I feel at this point too (I can only say that so soon because it does remind me so much of Lisbon).

A few more listens. The song craft is pretty damn amazing on this record. I think it's not as samey as Lisbon and there isn't a single song that's not, dare I say it, perfect. Might be my favorite album of the year, but I'm extremely biased as The Walkmen have always been loved by me (Lisbon even made my Top Five a few years back).

All I know is that I like the track "Heaven" more than anything on Lisbon by a sizable amount, and I enjoyed that album.

Unfortunately probably won't get a chance to listen to this until next week. :sad:

Stranded was a great, great song. I liked Lisbon.

Like I said, there's no reason I won't like this one, but I need to spend more time with it.

You know how sometimes a song that seems somewhat unremarkable all of a sudden hits you? Well on the walk home from the ballgame tonight, We Can't Be Beat smacked me right across the head. What a gorgeously understated song. The songwriting is top notch. I also found a new appreciation for The Witch... I think I'm going to end up liking this album a great deal. Now that I've spend more time with it, it feels less airy than Lisbon does. It's got some heft that I feel might've been missing from the previous

Is it streaming on any websites like Bad As Me was?

I like this album a great deal more than Lisbon alread, for some reason that one never clicked with me. Enjoying it quite a bit so far.

So I am just now listening to Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone and loving it. I almost can't believe this is the same band that made Lisbon, the only other of theirs that I have heard - not that Lisbon was poor by any stretch, just exponentially mellower. Also, did this band ever move in the same circles as Interpol? Because "French Vacation" sounds like a lost song from Turn on the Bright Lights.

Back
Top Bottom