The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Top selling vinyl of The Resurgence™

billboard-top-vinyl-chart-2010-2015-640x640.jpg

Cool beans. I should point out that last year's #1 was Rumours. I imagine it isn't too far behind those in overall sales. :up:

Well, that is dependent on your listening gear.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

digital recording got so much better over the years (meaning the sample rate and things that matter to the quality) and they should be almost indistinguishable to human ears.

On friday I got 4 records
icon7.gif

1) A 78 - Jake the Sheik/The fox waltz (Edison record (A Thick one))
2) The Who - Meaty Beaty big and Bouncy
3) Madonna - First album
4) Marvin Gaye - Whats going on

I got Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's in Mono. Tempted to keep it in the shrink wrap.

Especially since I don't have a turntable yet... I'd like an affordable one under like $175, since I don't think I'll use it a ton. Any idea what the best ones are that have good bass and won't ruin records? One that can turn them to MP3's would be nice since I do have some records that I don't have CD or Digital versions of.

Last edited:
Picked up the latest Radiohead and Bat for Lashes LPs this week. I love the gatefold artwork for both.

July1_zpsobs1sef7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

July2_zpsthtp37gr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's in Mono. Tempted to keep it in the shrink wrap.

Especially since I don't have a turntable yet... I'd like an affordable one under like $175, since I don't think I'll use it a ton. Any idea what the best ones are that have good bass and won't ruin records? One that can turn them to MP3's would be nice since I do have some records that I don't have CD or Digital versions of.

Find a record store that sells old ones! Unless you're buying a high end one, they just aren't made as well anymore. Obviously you'll have to find another workaround for creating MP3s. I bought a used one and I'm glad I did.

Looking for some advice: I'm thinking of upgrading my turntable (I have a Technics, but not the SL-1200, but a more entry level model). I like it, but it has lost precision in the motor and the speed often gets easily all over the place. Looking to spend about $400, and based on reviews the Project Debut Carbon looks like one of the best options. Does anyone have one? Any other recommendations?

Looking for some advice: I'm thinking of upgrading my turntable (I have a Technics, but not the SL-1200, but a more entry level model). I like it, but it has lost precision in the motor and the speed often gets easily all over the place. Looking to spend about $400, and based on reviews the Project Debut Carbon looks like one of the best options. Does anyone have one? Any other recommendations?

I have one! Love it. One recommendation I can offer would be to upgrade the platter to the acrylic one. Less vibration and the felt pad that comes out of the box generates too much static for my taste.

I have one! Love it. One recommendation I can offer would be to upgrade the platter to the acrylic one. Less vibration and the felt pad that comes out of the box generates too much static for my taste.

Great to hear! Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I was thinking of the acrylic platter two, but may do that a bit later. It also looks damn good that way.

Nope, that's why when I saw a original US pressing at a record store for $40 I picked it up. Sure, it's the entire album pressed on one piece of vinyl, but it was way cheaper than the reissue. I would love the reissue because the album does benefit from being stretched across two lps.

As much as I love the 180 gram double album phenomenon and the increase in fidelity I still can't help but be annoyed having to flip the record every three songs :down: #1stworldproblems

I agree. Like, if you are cooking and put on some music, and then have to stop every 15 minutes to change sides, it gets annoying quickly.

My #vinylrelated1stworldproblem, which I keep mentioning over and over, is how the tracklist for Reflektor had to change so that it could fit a vinyl side (basically they had to bump We Exist to Side 1B). So annoying.

Now, I like the double vinyl thing that Radiohead did for In Rainbows, with both records of the special edition playing at 45 RPM (I unfortunately only have the standard edition).

As much as I love the 180 gram double album phenomenon and the increase in fidelity I still can't help but be annoyed having to flip the record every three songs :down: #1stworldproblems

That only bothered me when I used to drink and listen to my record collection...

That reminds me, I still haven't listened to the vinyl rip which apparently isn't nearly as bad re: loudness-war as the CD version.

I saw the other day that my vinyl copy of ATYCLB - which I bought back in the day for like 20 bucks - is now worth $150. I should probably sell it before they reissue it.

The Pop vinyl is amazing. AB and Zooropa need reissues.

Happy for this. Hopefully they will reissue ATYCLB, Passengers and the 2 best ofs, as those prices are just too high to justify for me.

will be interesting to see if they use the same source as the original pressing (which I've not heard but everyone says sounds great, despite most of the actual music) or just save time and use the same master as the CD, making it pointless?

Back
Top Bottom