The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lately, I grabbed Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town, R.E.M.'s Document, Blur's self-titled and Edge's soundtrack for Captive, which I grabbed for only $5. Pretty good haul. Now I'm waiting for the WFMU Record Fair in NYC in November to really dig through their collections.

Where on earth did you find Captive?

That's awesome :-D.

I guess it never occurred to me that that might exist. I'll be keeping an eye out for it from here on out.

Picked up used copies of "War" and "Scary Monsters and Super Creeps" today at Brooklyn Flea Record Fair for about $10 total. Really happy about the latter since I didn't own that album yet.

Head's up, guys...
I've seen at 2 local Target stores recently the 20th anniversary remastered 2 LP edition of the Joshua Tree for $8.68 (clearance) . It was located on an endcap in the electronics department. I never bought it a few months ago when it was marked down to 20 bucks. Good thing I passed that chance up!

That's a really great deal. Any used copy in good condition from the 80s tends to ring up an automatic $10 at the independent record stores.

I got the Where The Streets Have No Name single for a buck the other day. A lot of fun. Although I forgot to switch the speed on my player (since it's a 12" single)...the intro for Streets went on for days before I realized what was up. :lol:

As good as an original pressing of Joshua Tree is on vinyl the reissue is so much better and spread out two lps . I wish they would have issued Achtung Baby as a stand alone two lp reissue for $26 dollars or whatever instead of issuing it on 4 LPs for more than a hundred dollars.

I picked up the remastered double lp of Disintegration and Wild Nothing's Empty Estate ep the other day.

More importantly, I've been building a system that's starting to sound good. I picked up some speakers made by a local guy a few months ago, along with a contemporary tube amp that was relatively cheap but is doing what it's supposed to. Then this month I picked up a tube phono pre-amp that was sold as a kit in the '60's, I think. Looks killer old school and improved the sound 10 fold.

mhw1332990904.jpg

Started playing my old vinyl again and realized how truly wretched my Crosley player is, and am now on the lookout for a proper stereo, most likely an old one from a charity shop or grandma's house. Are these all created equal, or what should I look out for?

Does Target ordinarily stock some vinyl in the store or was that a one time thing for JT?

My target had vinyl from U2, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Eagles, the Beatles but it didn't sell and they got rid of it. They recently sold the new Justin Timberlake album on vinyl though.

I've never seen vinyl at target. But I don't remember when the last time I went to a target was.

Yeah, the news about the JT vinyl sent me to Target. They only had the other JT - Timberlake - on vinyl. Would love to have U2's.

I couldn't begin to tell you, Jeevey, about equipment, but I got a new Audio Technica turntable for Christmas last year, and it's taken me this long to compliment it. It will take some expertise to link vintage equipment to newer equipment, so don't assume you can mix and match. I've found out that the electronics are frequently incompatible. I'm very fortunate to have that expertise locally in the form of a guy who's been refurbing and building speakers, amps, etc., for a couple decades and currently sells both contemporary and vintage equipment. He speaks in language I don't understand but suspects I'll be wanting to update my contemporary turntable to a better model before I update everything else.

Yeah, I think I'd be looking for a fairly complete set. I don't know how it is in other cities but craigslist seems fairly full of them here. When your stereo whisperer says better does he mean better contemporary or to look for a vintage one?

Good question. I'm pretty sure he mostly pushes contemporary turntables. Even if he were selling many vintage ones, he says the cartridges only last a few years and must be replaced. My impression from him has been that the cartridges are most responsible for sound quality.

If it is limited, there are plenty to go around. Picked that up the day it came out for $15. Beautiful vinyl though.

Found the violet version when I went to buy Trouble Will Find Me.

Need to get Sad Songs at some point, still haven't heard the debut.

Are they releasing any physical singles from the new album? High Violet's b sides were all great.

I don't think they ever released a number for the size of the run. The US version seems to be a bit more sought after. Judging by how obviously purple Cobblepot's is, he must have snagged the UK/EU pressing. The US pressing is a deep, deep somewhat translucent purple.

SSFDL is the only record of theirs which I don't have the colored variant. Kind of a thorn in my balls.

Are they releasing any physical singles from the new album? High Violet's b sides were all great.

Nothing announced, which totally sucks considering the quality of their outtakes. "Sin Eaters" wasn't very good, but the rest of the HV leftovers were hot stuff. Terrible Love Alt/You Were a Kindness is a must own single, as was Think You Can Wait/Exile Vilify. Wish we could've got like a Conversation 16/Wake Up Your Saints single.

Ooh, translucent would have been cool. Which one have you got?

What are people's top five National b-sides/tracks from EPs/extraneous tracks?

Exile Vilify
About Today
Wake Up Your Saints
You Were a Kindness
Sin-Eaters

The pictures of ours I have on Photobucket are almost blue. I'm too lazy to go snap a new pic.

2010-05-11113743.jpg

Yeah, mine (also a US pressing) is also a deep blue. I love it, though, even more than the yellow Boxer and green Alligator.

My mother is asking me to help her dispose of a large collection that she inherited from her ex. Does anyone know the best way to go about it?

Back
Top Bottom