The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
recordss.JPG

Me and part of my record collection.

Ten years of collecting! Actually my first record I purchased on my own was in 1995 at the age of 18, but I didn't get into buying vinyl until 2003 when I purchased my first turntable.

are those ikea shelves?

Yep, go back to earlier in the thread and we had a whole discussion about that :lol:

I'm still waiting until I move to purchase those shelves for myself. In the meanwhile, I bought what I thought was going to be a similar product from Wal-Mart and trust me...it was not.

mosdef.jpg

Today I randomly stumbled upon a Mos Def LP at a local antique store while crate digging through records. Not bad for $14.

I picked up QOTSA's Like Clockwork and Blur's Parklife a couple weeks ago. Got the limited edition blue cover for Like Clockwork too, which was somehow cheaper than the regular edition.

P1030589_zpsdac5b0f6.jpg

P1030590_zpsfc6a1c3b.jpg

I also just realized that the download code for Parklife comes with all the b-sides from the era, another 16 tracks. Now that is good value for a vinyl record!

So, I gave away my record collection years ago. Devastated me a little bit, but my phonograph had been destroyed in a flood and I didn't know I'd want them later. I had mostly older stuff, but I even had Pop on vinyl which I'm not likely to see again.

My wife, then fiancee, was with me when I gave them away. Friday, for our fifth anniversary, she gave me a new record player and started a new collection for me with

U2 - The Joshua Tree, the 180 gram remaster, and
The Beatles - Abbey Road, the 2009 remaster

In addition to these, we went to a thrift store in Berlin, MD, and I picked up the following for only 30 bucks, and all in great condition:

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Johnny Cash - I Walk the Line
Eric Clapton - Slowhand ("Wonderful Tonight" was the first dance at our wedding reception, so we were able to replicate that at the beach hosue)
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77
U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky

My first priority now is to hunt down Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy on vinyl again... the CD was never the same. This is a nice start, though. My wife is awesome.

DFA's found some old LCD 45s, namely Bye Bye Bayou and Losing My Edge/Beat Connection, for those so inclined. Like me. Products - DFA Direct

Also
If any DFA fan sees this, and can tell me where the fuck I can find the Hot Chip Dark & Stormy single with 7 tracks as listed in this Pitchfork article, it would be greatly appreciated. pitchfork.com/news/51000-listen-hot-chip-dark-stormy/

Heads up to interested parties: indie stores have copies of the Volcano Choir album on beautiful clear vinyl. For $16 it was a no brainer.

Also came away with used copies of Talking Heads' True Stories (at last my first of theirs) and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn because childhood for a nice total of $13. Not complaining.

has No one been buying any vinyl lately?
My vinyl buying season is drawing to a close. From Sept till March each year...i go into saving mode...for my kids bdays and xmas....pluss my two biggest quarterly gas and elec bills, sandwiched at either end of the winter

Anyhoo.....lately, I have picked up the following:

Jerry Harrison
Walk On Water
The Red And The Black
Casual Gods

Tom Tom Club
Boom Boom Chi
Close To The Bone

Talking Heads
Naked

Hindu Love Gods
Hindu love Gods

Gavin Friday
Adam N' Eve

Iron Maiden
Powerslave
Peice of mind

The Strypes
Snapshot

Lately, I grabbed Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town, R.E.M.'s Document, Blur's self-titled and Edge's soundtrack for Captive, which I grabbed for only $5. Pretty good haul. Now I'm waiting for the WFMU Record Fair in NYC in November to really dig through their collections.

Tonight...i finally got round to getting myself Mint copies of Boy and War on vinyl.....and at a very decent price too.
But, the record i was most excited by was my 99p find. I never even new this existed

$T2eC16JHJIkE9qU3iy4YBRPObOgs+Q~~60_57.JPG

Back
Top Bottom