The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
collection624.jpg

I need the 5x5 Ikea Expedit Shelving unit. I am running out of space.

Nice collection David. I have only gotten back into collecting vinyl again, in the past two months. I got about enuff vinyl to fill ONE of them shelves. I havent even thought about the future, if i was to reach the same amount of vinyl as you. Id need shelves like you have there, but i really dont know where the hell id put them. I mean...im in a 3 bedroomed house, by myself mainly....apart from when my kids come, but as things stand, i wouldnt have anywhere to put shelves. So mibees i best cool the jets with the vinyl buying.........fat chance :p

Anyone here a member of the Vinyl Community on youtube?

collection624.jpg

I need the 5x5 Ikea Expedit Shelving unit. I am running out of space.

Thanks, David. Now I'm not going to be happy until I own that shelving unit, and the nearest Ikea is in Schaumburg. It would be about $250 to ship it here :lol:

Those Expedit units are OK, btu be sure to go to your local home depot and get some plywood to put on the back.

Also if you're in an earthquake zone you better attach to a stud or your collections are goign to be in pieces, the shelves are held in place with little dowel pins and they break easily, records are HEAVY.

I stick to the 2x2 units.

Recent vinyl buys:

Flash Gordon Soundtrack: Queen
War Of The Worlds Soundtrack: Jeff Wayne
The Concerts Vol II :Charlie Ventura

Haul from Randy's today:

Sid Vicious - Sid Sings (Portuguese import)
The Clash s/t debut
Tom Waits - Alice
The Clash - Rock The Casbah single
Beck's new EP that I got for Impy, mine's black vinyl though.

And the (new) crown jewel in my record collection:

An original 1964 mono pressing of Meet The Beatles. I still can't believe I own this.

I'm terrified to take the Beatles album out of its shrink wrap. On the other hand, I want to examine every little bit of it.

Recent vinyl buys:

Flash Gordon Soundtrack: Queen

Many years ago when I was moving I needed money and had to consolidate so I sadly took half my huge, lifetimes worth collection of vinyl around to used record stores in San Diego to try to sell. Out of hundreds of records, they only wanted TWO RECORDS. I was so bummed. I left the whole lot in the house I moved from for the new owner. Anyway, yeah, that was one of the only 2 records they wanted. It's a good record! :D

Reggo said:
Haul from Randy's today:

An original 1964 mono pressing of Meet The Beatles. I still can't believe I own this.

That's pretty awesome.

Bought a few of the Radiohead reissues lately, right now The Bends is kicking my ass.

I still can't believe it's mine, even thought it's on the shelf with the rest of the records. What my dork brain found cool is that it's still got the advert sleeve with the big (pre-Beatles) Capitol artists in it, and that hasn't been torn hardly at all. I'm kind of proud of my little collection now.

Pretty cool Reggo. :D :up:

:hmm: One of these days I should take a pic of my Beatles vinyls. Most of them were original purchases from the 60's when they were released. I was lucky that my parents who were big Beatles fans gave them to me.

newrecsaug4.jpg

4 of the Blur reissues: Leisure, The Great Escape, self titled, and 13. I forgot how great the self titled Blur album was.

My wife picked up the Antlers 45rpm ep, clear, green vinyl. Pretty good EP, the 4 songs are really good. I await their next full album.

I found some Duke Ellington lps and TACO's Puttin on the Ritz single at Goodwill this yesterday morning. Yes, Taco was a guilty pleasure purchase.

To anyone who buys the Blur reissue LPs they do come with a download code to download the standard album as well as the bonus material CD found on the CD deluxe versions AND scans of the old Blurbs fan newsletter. Pretty good deal when you think about it.

bonocomet said:
Pretty cool Reggo. :D :up:

:hmm: One of these days I should take a pic of my Beatles vinyls. Most of them were original purchases from the 60's when they were released. I was lucky that my parents who were big Beatles fans gave them to me.

I've got a few of those, my mom beat the hell out of them (the actual cover to a hard day's night disappeared before I was even born, and it's been living with rubber soul for thirty or so years. don't worry. It's at least in a paper sleeve).

I've got a few of those, my mom beat the hell out of them (the actual cover to a hard day's night disappeared before I was even born, and it's been living with rubber soul for thirty or so years. don't worry. It's at least in a paper sleeve).

Yeah many of mine are battle weary too, but they are still cool to have.

I started about a week into July. After three weeks, I had 150 pieces of vinyl (about a dozen 7" and the rest 12"). Basically, was going through the two local record shops and making a lot of purchases from the dollar bins or records that were under $3. A surprising amount of great stuff (all but ten or so of the albums were already in my digital library). I also bought some newer titles though such as this year's LPs from DIIV and Cloud Nothings (10 bucks a pop), but buying newer records is kind of a strain since they average about $15 for the lowest price (about 50% of the time in-shop at a record store and 50% of the time on Amazon). There's about thirty albums this year that I dig so paying $450 would be crazy to have them all. Fun, but a little crazy.

Granted $15 for a cool vinyl is better than when I would occasionally get a CD at the mall for $20 during the 90's. :down:

Also, cool record cleaning kits? I have a brush and most of the stuff I got is in surprisingly good condition. But there's a Fleetwood Mac record with a skip on each side and a lot of pops (hey, it was $1) along with a 7" or two that could use a nice soaking. I ordered a popular kit for $20 on Amazon, but it was sent via UPS, so of course it never arrived even though they said it did. At least I got the full refund (in about five minutes on the phone with Amazon!), but me records are still dirty.

I always felt the new vinyls were a decent price,being so niche and all. Plus, they usually come with something, even if it's just a download code.

newrecsaug12.jpg

I stopped at the antique mall yesterday, there's a vendor there that has a space with a lot of great records, used, and fairly priced.

I picked up David Bowie's ChangesOneBowie, German pressing
The Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
The Who - Who's Next (This is a great album)
The Who - The Who By Numbers.

15 bucks is a good deal. Vinyl lps were frequently that much 30 and 40 years ago, and everyone made a lot less money than they do now.

Gwuh? Bwuh? No they weren't.....maybe they were the equivalent with inflation though. Also, the average American family makes less with inflation than they did back in 1980...plus, they spend far more outrageous sums on healthcare among other things. I remember way back in 2000-ish that Pearl Jam was making a big deal on their website about how their vinyls should cost no more than ten bucks and I thought I remember them selling them for like 7.99 even. The recent upswing in vinyl record collecting has definitely increased prices (helped greatly by a lot of affordable, quality turntables). Back in the 90's when nobody really had a turntable, the interest was a lot less and I imagine that collectors were able to get a lot of albums that sell for $15 anywhere in alright shape for pennies.

Also, I have the expedit shelves. My girlfriend loves IKEA. I was blown away when I randomly chucked my first batch of vinyl in them. I was like "dayum, I know what these were intended for!" :lol:

Gwuh? Bwuh? No they weren't.....maybe they were the equivalent with inflation though.
Yes. They were. Not all of them, but I paid $15 for many lps back then, 15 actual dollars, not adjusted for inflation. Wherehouse and Music+ would frequently sell them for below list price, but that was a sale.

You realize I'm not talking about Pearl Jam and the 2000s or the 90s, right?

That's pretty insane to say the least. I mean, damn. But I'll take your word on it.

At least it wasn't a cassette that you were paying that price for. :lol:

BTW, how many pieces do you have, David? I have about 180-190 now and they take up roughly more than three full expedit shelves. Considering you have sixteen shelves....

I bought this reissue new today....it was like the old vinyl that I wanted so bad (although it became slightly less valuable in my opinion after the Spector albums boxed set on CD recently)....usually goes for about $50 on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/Presenting-Fa...the+ronettes+presenting+the+fabulous+ronettes

It was only $16.99 at my local Rasputin (I still rarely go above $10 for any single disc vinyls though. Anything above $12 feels like murder to me), so there's great savings often at your local record stores. But yeah, great album and the reissue is on high quality vinyl and sounds fine.

Nobody was really producing turntables in the 90s and early 00s in the manner that you can now pick up a modern unit for about 100 bucks on Amazon (probably because hardly any mainstream vinyl was being produced). They were mostly pretty expensive and usually shelve units with built in speakers, etc. I think vinyl being the "hip" thing would have occurred sooner had people had access to cheaper turntables, etc.

Back
Top Bottom