The Vinyl Thread - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #496
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:16 PM

I'm 37 so in the '80s my parents had a turntable and my dad had a modest record collection of mostly Beatles and John Lennon solo stuff. I grew up with the format I guess. In the late '80s and '90s I had cassettes and cds. I would say around 1995 I was reintroduced to "vinyl" through an older cousin who had a vintage solid state turntable and equipment and a lot of classic rock and some '80s punk records. We'd listen to it quite a bit. Sadly I didn't buy any '90s vinyl from alternative bands at the time. Most of it which has not been reissued is hard to find and expensive.

It wasn't until 2003 when I purchased a cheap Gemini turntable and went down the rabbit hole of collecting. U2's Unforgettable Fire was a prime example of being able to distinguish details in analog vs. digital. I had UF on CD for years. I listened to it so much in the early '90s that when I got a copy of the original US pressing on vinyl I was blown away by little bits of detail that I didn't notice before. CD mastering wasn't that great in the early days of the CD format. My copy was, I believe, one of the first US CD pressings.

By the mid '00s I accumulated quite a bit of records. It was fun, thrift stores were great to shop at and a record store I frequented was my source for new records, which back then, were a little bit cheaper than their CD counterparts. That's changed now, of course.

4 years ago I purchased the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable. Eventually upgraded the cartridge to the Ortofon 2m Red.. Upgraded the platter to an acrylic platter. I have gone through two phono stages until settling on a vintage NAD phono stage. I have Cerwin Vega speakers and upgraded things like speaker wire to monster speaker wire and use banana clips so I can plug the speaker wire in and out easily. My set up is modest in the sense that being an entry level audiophile/record collector can get pricey. I will eventually upgrade my turntable but for now this setup has served me well for 4 years.

Listening to a well recorded album on vinyl is a great experience when it happens. The music does breathe. Instruments have a better sense of clarity. There's a sense of separation in the instruments and a 3 dimensional sound. Clarity and warmth is another way to describe the appeal of listening to a record.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #497
She's the One

Can you hear a difference between recent albums which are digitally recorded and the old analog recordings?

Old 11-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #498
Refugee

Local Time: 09:16 PM
The Vinyl Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post

A year ago I saw a eBay auction for the 4 Achtung Baby singles on 12" vinyl. The seller was selling them as framed records.. Apparently purchased for that sole purpose and they were not even listened to. I won the auction for a reasonable $70 dollars. Which is great considering the single for Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is worth more than the other three and used to sell for over $100 dollars on eBay. I had no desire to frame them. I just wanted to listen to them and file them away in my collection.
I've got those too, along with One and Achtung Baby. Looking to frame them once I move and find a decent space. There's only so often I'd feel the urge to spin Salome, y'know?

But your display looks awesome like that.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #499
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Can you hear a difference between recent albums which are digitally recorded and the old analog recordings?
It depends. There's a reissue label called Four Men With Beards that reissues a lot of out of print records, but they usually source them from CDS and it's painfully obvious they do it when listening. It sounds like an overly compressed mess. No separation etc. I picked up their copy of Leonard Cohen's Various Positions then found an original copy months later and it was night and day.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #500
ONE
love, blood, life

Thank you Issac Brock for reissuing this. In 1996 I wasn't keen enough to walk into an indie record store and pay $12 for this when it first came out (on vinyl) and sadly I wasn't going to spend upwards of $300 to get a copy though sellers on eBay.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #501
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Oh damn, I want this thing, but it will probably sell out quickly:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/7666
Old 11-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #502
ONE
love, blood, life

This album still slays me, particularly the title track.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #503
ONE
love, blood, life

It might be the wine, but my repeated spinning of the Flaming Lips Sgt Peppers cover album just keeps getting better and better.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #504
Refugee

Local Time: 04:16 PM
I love so many of the vinyl collections posted here. I just started myself in early 2013, so I have a lot of catching up to do, but I hope to have a collection that looks as awesome as the ones here.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #505
45:33

Local Time: 08:16 AM
By this time next year, I will have outgrown my first set of shelves (CD + vinyl). I'm very excited.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #506
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Just pre-ordered the new Darren Hanlon single on 7" - run of only 300 copies. After a number of years, he is finally releasing an album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #507
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My black friday record store day hopes...

1) That Lee Hazlewood box set...it's four cds with a book and other crap, but this is the first time that the music will also be released on vinyl (8 colored LPs)...this is an insanely good collection of music and might be the best vinyl thing I'd own, even if the price ends up being like $200 or more. This thing is listed as a "regional release" probably because a lot of stores aren't going to want to order such an expensive product that they might have trouble selling, unfortunately.

2) Phil Spector Christmas Album on red vinyl. I'm a big Phil Spector nerd and this would fit nicely alongside my original Righteous Brothers LPs (thank you dollar rack!) and Ronettes reissue.

3) Aghan Whigs - Gentleman at 21. It's basically the entire deluxe reissue on three vinyls with a cool alternate cover.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to the rest of my Cassette Store Day release of the new Foxygen album.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #508
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 11-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #509
ONE
love, blood, life

*like*
Old 11-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #510
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not sure which I like less...cats or SOI.