The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$35 and then with shipping and tax it's nearly $50 from the U2 site. I'm hoping what I was told in another thread is true and there's going to be a Target release for these , because I really want that blue Zooropa.

Ooooooooh hell yeah. I was skeptical at first reading it because I don't want something FlyLo wasn't involved with, but it looks like they worked with them. I've liked the idea of Vinyl Me Please, maybe now it's time to sign up./

Ooooooooh hell yeah. I was skeptical at first reading it because I don't want something FlyLo wasn't involved with, but it looks like they worked with them. I've liked the idea of Vinyl Me Please, maybe now it's time to sign up./

I've had it for 3 months, and I'm enjoying it. The editions are generally really pretty, and it can introduce you to nice things. The Mavis Staples record I got this month was one of my favorite discoveries of the year.

The major downside is that their back catalog is mostly sold out, so some of the cool editions they put together before cannot be acquired anymore if you try to swap the record of the month for an earlier one.

This thread has been dead for 2 years? Or maybe I’m resurrecting the wrong one?

Anyways, bumping this to say that the 45th anniversary reissue of Station to Station sounds damn good. I had not enjoyed this album as much before, all the production and crazy layers are much more present than in the digital versions I’ve listened to (I never owned it on CD). Strongly recommended - it’s still available online in some places. It comes in either red or white (randomly). Mine came in red and it’s gorgeous.

I have finally started buying records again, so I will have something to contribute soon.

As somebody who is now getting into vinyl, how does the Pop reissue sound? That would be the first U2 record I'd want to get.

I’ve heard good things. The original sounds really good, perhaps my favorite pressing they put out.

Honestly, I think the whole sound thing is overrated and potentially a complete crock of shit. All my modern records sound great, but they don’t sound any better or worse than stuff I stream or play from my library (and I’ve got an Audio Techinca player hooked up to a Sonos). I think unless you’re a studio nerd who listens to music exceptionally closely it doesn’t make a difference. Pretty sure Axver has said this before, but with the natural uncertainties you get with vinyl (your needle might not be set up perfectly, cracks and pops, individual vinyl issues, atmospheric stuff like dust etc) if great sound is the main reason you’re getting vinyl I think you’re better off getting digital versions.

Honestly, I think the whole sound thing is overrated and potentially a complete crock of shit. All my modern records sound great, but they don’t sound any better or worse than stuff I stream or play from my library (and I’ve got an Audio Techinca player hooked up to a Sonos). I think unless you’re a studio nerd who listens to music exceptionally closely it doesn’t make a difference. Pretty sure Axver has said this before, but with the natural uncertainties you get with vinyl (your needle might not be set up perfectly, cracks and pops, individual vinyl issues, atmospheric stuff like dust etc) if great sound is the main reason you’re getting vinyl I think you’re better off getting digital versions.

I hear this and mostly follow this rule, but when you are buying expensive records I think it's useful to check a few things. There are known scams (I have a few records like this) of reissues that are pressed with the master extracted from a CD, which completely defeats the purpose of buying vinyl. Mostly an issue for reissues, not new records. And I think there are high quality presses that you can notice even on regular equipment (the VMP records usually sound fantastic, for example).

I used to love vinyl collecting, but it really is becoming a pain in the ass. The electronic artist Skee Mask recently surprised released an album with an extremely limited vinyl run on Bandcamp, which sold out in like 15 minutes. And it wasn't anything fancy either - just standard black vinyl. I really don't understand why so many artists are refusing to meet demand on vinyl editions. All it does is promote flipping.

To be fair to smaller artists, vinyl is really expensive to make. They do not want to make too much and sit on inventory. Also during the pandemic, the demand for artists to get things pressed far outstrips pressing plants’ capacity. So it might have been the plant saying, “hey we can do 100 in 2021. If you want 1000, it’s gonna be 2022 at the earliest.”

My Loveless vinyl has finally arrived, and it’s so damn good. I am falling in love with this album all over again.

Oh, I also got Cavalcade and there’s a really nice intro before John L that is not on the streaming version. Very cool touch.

I'm curious to know if the HTDAAB vinyl improves on the mastering at all. Everyone made fun of Metallica for how unbelievably shitty the Death Magnetic CD sounded, but they fixed some of the issues for the vinyl because, had they left the levels where they were, the record would have exploded.

It sounds pretty good. I got an earlier version at a vinyl convention, so it isn’t the latest reissue but it sounds great. ?

My 10 year Pro-Ject Debut 3 turntable stopped working a few months ago and I miss it. I plan on upgrading my turntable eventually, but for now I had to take a long break from buying any vinyl. So it was the perfect time to just take a break I guess.

Back
Top Bottom