The Vinyl Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
And I can't decide whether to thank you or curse you for bringing that to my attention. They deliver to Australia, so there goes well in excess of $100!
You'll at least save some coin by not buying shit ass Idlewild.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #17
45:33

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor

You'll at least save some coin by not buying shit ass Idlewild.
Very true. I'd be happy to be part with the CD copy I have of it to be honest. Not very good.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
She's the One

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Unfortunately, my parents, thinking they were getting me a really good Christmas gift, got me a record player/cd/tape/radio/aux type thing, but it's a cheaper brand and records sound shithouse, so I've hardly listened to any of these.

It's all about the needle, my boy. A shitty needle will permanently ruin records.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #19
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words

Whew, so glad you survived.
Seconded. The remaining members of Grateful Dead have nothing left to do but come down and murder.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I'm going to pillage my parents' 45 collection sometime very soon. They've got a couple hundred of them... stuff I grew up on. They never, ever listen to that stuff and would probably gladly just sign it on over to me as long as I make them cds of all of it.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I don't have a lot of vinyl, but what I have I think is pretty cool. The entire Lookouts' discography, including the first album ever pressed by Lookout Records back in 1984. Its serial number says it's number 7. I'm the kind of nerd that thinks that sort of thing is cool.

My most prized vinyl, though, is an original pressing of the Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks... in amazing condition. Found it in a used vinyl shop downtown. Love that thing.

How does one clean the dust off of vinyl? A soft cloth like a Shamwow or something?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, my parents have a shit ton of awesome old vinyl albums from the '60s and '70s that they haven't touched in forever, and that are going to be passed down to me.

Impy, on that discogs.com site, where do you look to find out how much a specific vinyl album is worth?

Not that I'd sell them, but I'd be very curious to see if my parents are sitting on some valuable shit.

I know that my mom has original (or at least very close to original) vinyl pressings of Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, and Abbey Road.

And my dad has so much stuff. I really should write it all down someday and post the list here. Basically all the big "sacred cow" famous ass '70s rock albums, and an assortment of other shit. I wouldn't sell any of the stuff I really liked, but if I find out that my dad is sitting on a copy of fucking Aqualung that's worth $200 bucks, it might be tempting.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #23
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

here's all my stuff: dizrythmia dot com

i haven't had a chance to buy much lately because of money issues and being separated from my record player. last thing i bought was duran duran's boys keep swinging (pink vinyl, woo).

my parents have even more records than i do, but i don't consider them mine, but of course i can play them whenever i want (when i'm in town, obvs).
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #24
45:33

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Man, I wish I had been standing up on the second floor video department balcony so I could have yelled "FRIGGIN' COBBLER!!" to everyone in that cavernous place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
I love Amoeba in Hollywood and sometimes drive up there and spend hours just browsing.
I could literally spend an entire day there no worries at all.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
How does one clean the dust off of vinyl? A soft cloth like a Shamwow or something?
A VERY clean, 100% cotton t-shirt can be ok to use. Wipe in the direction of the grooves, lightly.

And always wash your hands before handling the records, even when you're just turning them over. Always handle them by the edges and the centers; try to never touch the vinyl itself.

/tutorial
Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan
Impy, on that discogs.com site, where do you look to find out how much a specific vinyl album is worth?
Once you find the exact pressing you have or you're looking for, you can check out who's selling it and for how much on the right side of the screen. It's not an exact appraisal of what a particular record is worth, but it's interesting to see what price people list them. It's almost kind of like an old baseball card collection with a copy of Beckett, something I loved doing as a kid.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:35 AM
I'll have to do an inventory soon, but I think last time I counted, I was topping 150 records, including some Beatles first pressings, Sgt. Pepper's in mono, and a signed Shearwater 7".
Old 05-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor

Once you find the exact pressing you have or you're looking for, you can check out who's selling it and for how much on the right side of the screen. It's not an exact appraisal of what a particular record is worth, but it's interesting to see what price people list them. It's almost kind of like an old baseball card collection with a copy of Beckett, something I loved doing as a kid.
When the new issue of Beckett came out, my world stopped for about five hours while I appraised my baseball card collection.

It wasn't quite so much fun when I found out the cards I had that were worth the most were fakes . Ah to be ten again.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
If you're checking market values, Discogs is mostly worthless. The market is poorly maintained and inconsistently updated by sellers, because it's free to list shit (unlike eBay). It's not that everything is wrong, but that there's no way to find out what is right. Go here, like everyone else, if you need to appraise something:

popsike.com - vinyl records lp price guide - record collector

Again, not perfect. But a hell of a lot better.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:35 AM
i stopped buying stuff on vinyl when i ceased to own a record player (although i did drop a couple extra bucks on interpunk.com when i realized that it would get me the most recent bad religion album on vinyl and cd packaged together). it would just be collecting something, and not actually using it now, which makes no sense to me. but i used to spend a decent amount of money on singles (especially splits) and EPs because they contained non-album tracks from the albums i decided were better bought on cd for the whole practicality/portability thing (in college=limited turntable access, while sonically awesome meant bringing milk crate o' vinyl to radio station with me). before that, i used to raid the used record store in town on a regular basis--which is why i own multiple copies of each clash album and quite a few springsteen albums (except combat rock and tunnel of love. i only have them on vinyl for some reason).

i never got to the point where i'd buy the same single multiple times because it came in blue, green, and red and needed them all, but i was kind of enamored with colored vinyl for about a year. felt the same way about picture discs, which is why i have some weird bootlegged interview with u2--well, that and i think it was 2 bucks. it looked like a good idea, but the sound quality was so crappy you can't even hear the interview. singles-wise, i've mainly got a bunch of punk rock 7"s, none of it super crazy obscure or anything.

vinyl...the only thing i've ever bought on ebay. every so often i consider trying to unload some of it on ebay, but that sounds like too much of a hassle masking a shred of sentimentality or something.

that u2-3 12", someone's gotta want that, right? no album art, found it in a box of u2 stuff (and yes, i did buy pretty much all the crap in that box of stuff. mostly records, but there was some book and a handful of passengers/pop-era propaganda magazines) for 5 bucks at a used record store, i seemed to think it was cooler than sliced bread when i was 17, but now not so much.