The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Herbie Hancock - Thrust "This is Herbie's classic jazz-funk album from 1974 that contains excellent music that almost every hip-hop kid wishes he would have made but lacks the skills to do so."

100_9734.jpg

The ocd vinyl nerd in me is looking at that stock image and wondering why they placed the jacket on top of the vinyl like that.

Any of my kiwi brothers used intamusic.co.nz to order vinyl? I just bought NLOTH through them (Discogs cheapest was about 30 bucks more than the list price on the site). Site looks a little dodgy, though I used PayPal.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

White Stripes are properly releasing Get Behind Me Satan on vinyl for RSD. The rare promo copy released in 2005 was on one lp and sourced directly from CD and sent to journalists. The proper release is split onto two LPs and sourced from original tape.

At least there is a regular release on black vinyl coming later in the year, this will be a tricky one to come by on RSD, as will the U2 one. I love the concept of RSD and the nature of limited releases but such a shame so many of these will be bought to dump straight on ebay.

Just purchased the stellar Hank Mobley - Soul Station record. What a team of players! Art Blakey (Drums) ,Wynton Kelly (Piano) and Paul Chambers (Bass). Hank is a very talented sax player who could be listed between John Coltrane and Stan Getz. Not as experimental as Coltrane but more adventurous than Getz, Mobley plays with a confidence that hooks the listener right in. Released in 1960, Soul Station is one Blue Note's finest programs of music from an underrated master of the bop era.

MMBST33-84031-2.jpg

My pride and joy of my records plus one special sometimes hard to find CD thrown in there for fun.

I Am the Cosmos :up:

I bought the WOWY single too. I don't know why. It was just cheap and the songs are hard to argue with.

My copy of NLOTH showed up. Working back through the remasters now to complete the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hey guys,

So I'm looking at getting a decent turntable/hifi set up.and replace the crappy $80 target turntable my parents gave me...something that I've long wanted to do but have little to no knowledge in this field. I have been doing some online research and it seems to be the best way to go is to buy something second hand rather than brand new (although arguments for both sides)

I've been looking a bit on ebay for the last couple of weeks and I'm pretty keen on making a bid on this Vintage Retro Technics Hifi System in Glenroy, VIC | eBay Would something like this be a good "entry level" system? or am I wasting my time. Any thoughts appreciated.

Hey guys,

So I'm looking at getting a decent turntable/hifi set up.and replace the crappy $80 target turntable my parents gave me...something that I've long wanted to do but have little to no knowledge in this field. I have been doing some online research and it seems to be the best way to go is to buy something second hand rather than brand new (although arguments for both sides)

I've been looking a bit on ebay for the last couple of weeks and I'm pretty keen on making a bid on this Vintage Retro Technics Hifi System in Glenroy, VIC | eBay Would something like this be a good "entry level" system? or am I wasting my time. Any thoughts appreciated.

I bought and quickly returned a few cheap turntables before I realized you have to pay at least $400 to make it worthwhile. I ended up getting the Pro Ject Debut Carbon a few months ago and it's excellent. I paid $600 because it has some upgrades such as an acrylic platter and speed box. I did a lot of research before buying and the Pro Ject is almost universally acclaimed for an entry level TT.

I also quickly found out that vinyl doesn't necessarily mean a better sound. A lot of factors play into it such as the quality of the pressing, original mastering, etc. But when you get a great sounding record, there's nothing like it. For example, I have In Rainbows by Radiohead on double LP 45 rpm and the audio quality is simply astounding. I also have some Duke Ellington records that sound beautiful.

Only negative thing is I have to resist the urge to buy more records.

Hey guys,

I gotta say, the purchase of retro hifi equipment is generally just for the aesthetic. Oftentimes it is just as expensive, and comes with no warranty or any sort of assurance it will work more than a week. With analogue audio, there is no shame in getting some new, decent kit. It all depends on your budget. Sure there are certain things to steer clear of, I would recommend jumping on whathifi and looking at reviews of things you are after.

For a turntable, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is really the best entry level audiophile deck around. For 100 extra clams, you can get the USB version (USB really only useful because it has a built-in pre-amp, so you would potentially only need powered speakers, or an A/V receiver with phono input and speakers to run it).

You will also read a lot of varying opinions on what is best to spend more money on - Turntable, receiver, speakers, cables (ha!). For my money, once you hit the audiophile level turntable, to make an appreciable difference in sound you have to spend thousands more, same with a receiver. Speakers are where the money is best spent. Also, best to go a 2.1 speaker set-up for music, and spend more on getting good speakers and subs, than wasting money on lots of cheaper speakers. Depending on budget, something like this could go for around aus $2,653 if you do your research:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon TT - Audio Junction Newcastle - $549
Yamaha R-S500 receiver - Eastwood Hifi Sydney - $599
Bowers & Wilkins 685s2 Bookshelf speakers - Miranda Hifi Canberra - $839
Bowers & Wilkins ASW608 Subwoofer - Miranda Hifi Canberra - $667

Again, budget may be the telling factor, and if it was the US or UK, the same kit would be about 25% cheaper (go Australia!).

I gotta say, the purchase of retro hifi equipment is generally just for the aesthetic. Oftentimes it is just as expensive, and comes with no warranty or any sort of assurance it will work more than a week. With analogue audio, there is no shame in getting some new, decent kit. It all depends on your budget. Sure there are certain things to steer clear of, I would recommend jumping on whathifi and looking at reviews of things you are after.

For a turntable, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is really the best entry level audiophile deck around. For 100 extra clams, you can get the USB version (USB really only useful because it has a built-in pre-amp, so you would potentially only need powered speakers, or an A/V receiver with phono input and speakers to run it).

You will also read a lot of varying opinions on what is best to spend more money on - Turntable, receiver, speakers, cables (ha!). For my money, once you hit the audiophile level turntable, to make an appreciable difference in sound you have to spend thousands more, same with a receiver. Speakers are where the money is best spent. Also, best to go a 2.1 speaker set-up for music, and spend more on getting good speakers and subs, than wasting money on lots of cheaper speakers. Depending on budget, something like this could go for around aus $2,653 if you do your research:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon TT - Audio Junction Newcastle - $549
Yamaha R-S500 receiver - Eastwood Hifi Sydney - $599
Bowers & Wilkins 685s2 Bookshelf speakers - Miranda Hifi Canberra - $839
Bowers & Wilkins ASW608 Subwoofer - Miranda Hifi Canberra - $667

Again, budget may be the telling factor, and if it was the US or UK, the same kit would be about 25% cheaper (go Australia!).

:up: :up: :up: Thanks mate for the detailed response! A lot of that sounds way out of my budget right now, but definitely something I could work towards.

I'm gonna look at a few US stores. My Dad often gets a lot of stuff shipped in for the US on Shipping containers, so I could potentially look at buying some of the equipment from the states, although the dollar isn't as flash as it was 18 months ago, there still might be some saving.

:up: :up: :up: Thanks mate for the detailed response! A lot of that sounds way out of my budget right now, but definitely something I could work towards.

I'm gonna look at a few US stores. My Dad often gets a lot of stuff shipped in for the US on Shipping containers, so I could potentially look at buying some of the equipment from the states, although the dollar isn't as flash as it was 18 months ago, there still might be some saving.

No worries mate.

You could take a few steps out by getting some powered speakers, and the USB version of the TT - no need for a receiver or pre-amp then. Might get it down under $1k

Didn't know JB branched out into proper decks either - they were mostly going for the ultra entry level - 200 bucks and below.

Back
Top Bottom