The Vinyl Thread - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #256
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Pretty cool Reggo.

One of these days I should take a pic of my Beatles vinyls. Most of them were original purchases from the 60's when they were released. I was lucky that my parents who were big Beatles fans gave them to me.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #257
ONE
love, blood, life

4 of the Blur reissues: Leisure, The Great Escape, self titled, and 13. I forgot how great the self titled Blur album was.

My wife picked up the Antlers 45rpm ep, clear, green vinyl. Pretty good EP, the 4 songs are really good. I await their next full album.

I found some Duke Ellington lps and TACO's Puttin on the Ritz single at Goodwill this yesterday morning. Yes, Taco was a guilty pleasure purchase.

To anyone who buys the Blur reissue LPs they do come with a download code to download the standard album as well as the bonus material CD found on the CD deluxe versions AND scans of the old Blurbs fan newsletter. Pretty good deal when you think about it.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #258
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet
Pretty cool Reggo.

One of these days I should take a pic of my Beatles vinyls. Most of them were original purchases from the 60's when they were released. I was lucky that my parents who were big Beatles fans gave them to me.
I've got a few of those, my mom beat the hell out of them (the actual cover to a hard day's night disappeared before I was even born, and it's been living with rubber soul for thirty or so years. don't worry. It's at least in a paper sleeve).
Old 08-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #259
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
I've got a few of those, my mom beat the hell out of them (the actual cover to a hard day's night disappeared before I was even born, and it's been living with rubber soul for thirty or so years. don't worry. It's at least in a paper sleeve).
Yeah many of mine are battle weary too, but they are still cool to have.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #260
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:02 PM
I started about a week into July. After three weeks, I had 150 pieces of vinyl (about a dozen 7" and the rest 12"). Basically, was going through the two local record shops and making a lot of purchases from the dollar bins or records that were under $3. A surprising amount of great stuff (all but ten or so of the albums were already in my digital library). I also bought some newer titles though such as this year's LPs from DIIV and Cloud Nothings (10 bucks a pop), but buying newer records is kind of a strain since they average about $15 for the lowest price (about 50% of the time in-shop at a record store and 50% of the time on Amazon). There's about thirty albums this year that I dig so paying $450 would be crazy to have them all. Fun, but a little crazy.

Granted $15 for a cool vinyl is better than when I would occasionally get a CD at the mall for $20 during the 90's.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Also, cool record cleaning kits? I have a brush and most of the stuff I got is in surprisingly good condition. But there's a Fleetwood Mac record with a skip on each side and a lot of pops (hey, it was $1) along with a 7" or two that could use a nice soaking. I ordered a popular kit for $20 on Amazon, but it was sent via UPS, so of course it never arrived even though they said it did. At least I got the full refund (in about five minutes on the phone with Amazon!), but me records are still dirty.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #262
She's the One

15 bucks is a good deal. Vinyl lps were frequently that much 30 and 40 years ago, and everyone made a lot less money than they do now.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #263
Blue Crack Distributor

I always felt the new vinyls were a decent price,being so niche and all. Plus, they usually come with something, even if it's just a download code.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #264
ONE
love, blood, life

I stopped at the antique mall yesterday, there's a vendor there that has a space with a lot of great records, used, and fairly priced.

I picked up David Bowie's ChangesOneBowie, German pressing
The Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
The Who - Who's Next (This is a great album)
The Who - The Who By Numbers.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #265
Blue Crack Distributor

STOP IT DAVID. Stop showing me that bookcase.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #266
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
15 bucks is a good deal. Vinyl lps were frequently that much 30 and 40 years ago, and everyone made a lot less money than they do now.
Gwuh? Bwuh? No they weren't.....maybe they were the equivalent with inflation though. Also, the average American family makes less with inflation than they did back in 1980...plus, they spend far more outrageous sums on healthcare among other things. I remember way back in 2000-ish that Pearl Jam was making a big deal on their website about how their vinyls should cost no more than ten bucks and I thought I remember them selling them for like 7.99 even. The recent upswing in vinyl record collecting has definitely increased prices (helped greatly by a lot of affordable, quality turntables). Back in the 90's when nobody really had a turntable, the interest was a lot less and I imagine that collectors were able to get a lot of albums that sell for $15 anywhere in alright shape for pennies.

Also, I have the expedit shelves. My girlfriend loves IKEA. I was blown away when I randomly chucked my first batch of vinyl in them. I was like "dayum, I know what these were intended for!"
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #267
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
Gwuh? Bwuh? No they weren't.....maybe they were the equivalent with inflation though.
Yes. They were. Not all of them, but I paid $15 for many lps back then, 15 actual dollars, not adjusted for inflation. Wherehouse and Music+ would frequently sell them for below list price, but that was a sale.

You realize I'm not talking about Pearl Jam and the 2000s or the 90s, right?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #268
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

That's pretty insane to say the least. I mean, damn. But I'll take your word on it.

At least it wasn't a cassette that you were paying that price for.

BTW, how many pieces do you have, David? I have about 180-190 now and they take up roughly more than three full expedit shelves. Considering you have sixteen shelves....

I bought this reissue new today....it was like the old vinyl that I wanted so bad (although it became slightly less valuable in my opinion after the Spector albums boxed set on CD recently)....usually goes for about $50 on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/Presenting-Fab...ulous+ronettes

It was only $16.99 at my local Rasputin (I still rarely go above $10 for any single disc vinyls though. Anything above $12 feels like murder to me), so there's great savings often at your local record stores. But yeah, great album and the reissue is on high quality vinyl and sounds fine.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #269
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto

). Back in the 90's when nobody really had a turntable,
Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #270
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Nobody was really producing turntables in the 90s and early 00s in the manner that you can now pick up a modern unit for about 100 bucks on Amazon (probably because hardly any mainstream vinyl was being produced). They were mostly pretty expensive and usually shelve units with built in speakers, etc. I think vinyl being the "hip" thing would have occurred sooner had people had access to cheaper turntables, etc.