The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ty.jpg

New Ty Segall is good. Believe the hype. I went to my record store to get the new Ryan Adams, despite what song reviews are saying about his album, I really like it.. But anyway. yeah. New Ty Segall is good.

I may pick this up tomorrow. My favorite record store, Permanent Records, got booted by their landlord in Greenpoint so they've moved deeper into Brooklyn. Going to take advantage of their back in business coupon for Segall.

^ will be doing the same tonight, but with an American honey and coke, and Flying Lotus' new album You're Dead!

had to take a pic to put on all my social media accounts first, of course. don't ask me what the filter is. I'm a wanker.

BzP2DLwCYAA4cpU.jpg

:drool:

Anyone used vinyldestination.com.au?

Their prices look great for new vinyl (most of the time under $30), and postage within aus is also great ($5 for the first LP, $2 for each subsequent one.) I made a wish list worth about $3k.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes, you do.

Anyone used vinyldestination.com.au?

Their prices look great for new vinyl (most of the time under $30), and postage within aus is also great ($5 for the first LP, $2 for each subsequent one.) I made a wish list worth about $3k.

Had never heard of it, just had a look, most stuff is $30+... FlyLo's new one is $36. All for an Aus site selling cheaper vinyl but that sure as hell ain't it.

We must be searching different things - unforgettable fire remaster was $23 - it was $55 last I saw at JB. Most arctic monkeys albums were $27 or thereabouts. $45 at my local.

IMGP4029.jpg

A year ago I saw a eBay auction for the 4 Achtung Baby singles on 12" vinyl. The seller was selling them as framed records.. Apparently purchased for that sole purpose and they were not even listened to. I won the auction for a reasonable $70 dollars. Which is great considering the single for Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is worth more than the other three and used to sell for over $100 dollars on eBay. I had no desire to frame them. I just wanted to listen to them and file them away in my collection.

Ugh, people who pre-ordered the vinyl reissues of Modest Mouse's Lonesome Crowded West, and This is A Long Drive... received both already. :( I wish I wasn't broke.

Or had hindsight to pre order them months ago.

I am intrigued by listening to music on vinyl (never had the experience) and might be purchasing a record player, but wanted to know people's thoughts in general about whether it's worth the investment. I know all of the arguments that it sounds better, packaging and physical object is cool, etc. but now I've been reading articles that say there is no appreciable difference in sound, it's a hipster hobby, and that records are fragile and don't hold up well with repeated listens. I guess I might need a bit more convincing even though I am leaning toward getting it anyway.

Once you invest in a great system, speakers, all that fun stuff you really do get the benefits of listening to records over digitized music. Records hold up upon repeated listening. I have a 1959 copy of Miles Davis Kind of Blue that sounds stellar and it is my test record whenever I invest in a new piece of equipment for listening to records.

Once you invest in a great system, speakers, all that fun stuff you really do get the benefits of listening to records over digitized music. Records hold up upon repeated listening. I have a 1959 copy of Miles Davis Kind of Blue that sounds stellar and it is my test record whenever I invest in a new piece of equipment for listening to records.

That's cool...I have a Kind of Blue on CD and I always say to myself that it must sound amazing on vinyl.

IMGP4228_1.jpg

I'm 37 so in the '80s my parents had a turntable and my dad had a modest record collection of mostly Beatles and John Lennon solo stuff. I grew up with the format I guess. In the late '80s and '90s I had cassettes and cds. I would say around 1995 I was reintroduced to "vinyl" through an older cousin who had a vintage solid state turntable and equipment and a lot of classic rock and some '80s punk records. We'd listen to it quite a bit. Sadly I didn't buy any '90s vinyl from alternative bands at the time. Most of it which has not been reissued is hard to find and expensive.

It wasn't until 2003 when I purchased a cheap Gemini turntable and went down the rabbit hole of collecting. U2's Unforgettable Fire was a prime example of being able to distinguish details in analog vs. digital. I had UF on CD for years. I listened to it so much in the early '90s that when I got a copy of the original US pressing on vinyl I was blown away by little bits of detail that I didn't notice before. CD mastering wasn't that great in the early days of the CD format. My copy was, I believe, one of the first US CD pressings.

By the mid '00s I accumulated quite a bit of records. It was fun, thrift stores were great to shop at and a record store I frequented was my source for new records, which back then, were a little bit cheaper than their CD counterparts. That's changed now, of course.

4 years ago I purchased the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable. Eventually upgraded the cartridge to the Ortofon 2m Red.. Upgraded the platter to an acrylic platter. I have gone through two phono stages until settling on a vintage NAD phono stage. I have Cerwin Vega speakers and upgraded things like speaker wire to monster speaker wire and use banana clips so I can plug the speaker wire in and out easily. My set up is modest in the sense that being an entry level audiophile/record collector can get pricey. I will eventually upgrade my turntable but for now this setup has served me well for 4 years.

Listening to a well recorded album on vinyl is a great experience when it happens. The music does breathe. Instruments have a better sense of clarity. There's a sense of separation in the instruments and a 3 dimensional sound. Clarity and warmth is another way to describe the appeal of listening to a record.

IMGP4029.jpg

A year ago I saw a eBay auction for the 4 Achtung Baby singles on 12" vinyl. The seller was selling them as framed records.. Apparently purchased for that sole purpose and they were not even listened to. I won the auction for a reasonable $70 dollars. Which is great considering the single for Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is worth more than the other three and used to sell for over $100 dollars on eBay. I had no desire to frame them. I just wanted to listen to them and file them away in my collection.

I've got those too, along with One and Achtung Baby. Looking to frame them once I move and find a decent space. There's only so often I'd feel the urge to spin Salome, y'know?

But your display looks awesome like that.

Can you hear a difference between recent albums which are digitally recorded and the old analog recordings?

It depends. There's a reissue label called Four Men With Beards that reissues a lot of out of print records, but they usually source them from CDS and it's painfully obvious they do it when listening. It sounds like an overly compressed mess. No separation etc. I picked up their copy of Leonard Cohen's Various Positions then found an original copy months later and it was night and day.

IMGP4258.jpg

Thank you Issac Brock for reissuing this. In 1996 I wasn't keen enough to walk into an indie record store and pay $12 for this when it first came out (on vinyl) and sadly I wasn't going to spend upwards of $300 to get a copy though sellers on eBay.

IMGP4404.jpg

It might be the wine, but my repeated spinning of the Flaming Lips Sgt Peppers cover album just keeps getting better and better.

I love so many of the vinyl collections posted here. I just started myself in early 2013, so I have a lot of catching up to do, but I hope to have a collection that looks as awesome as the ones here.

Just pre-ordered the new Darren Hanlon single on 7" - run of only 300 copies. After a number of years, he is finally releasing an album.

My black friday record store day hopes...

1) That Lee Hazlewood box set...it's four cds with a book and other crap, but this is the first time that the music will also be released on vinyl (8 colored LPs)...this is an insanely good collection of music and might be the best vinyl thing I'd own, even if the price ends up being like $200 or more. This thing is listed as a "regional release" probably because a lot of stores aren't going to want to order such an expensive product that they might have trouble selling, unfortunately.

2) Phil Spector Christmas Album on red vinyl. I'm a big Phil Spector nerd and this would fit nicely alongside my original Righteous Brothers LPs (thank you dollar rack!) and Ronettes reissue.

3) Aghan Whigs - Gentleman at 21. It's basically the entire deluxe reissue on three vinyls with a cool alternate cover.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to the rest of my Cassette Store Day release of the new Foxygen album.

Back
Top Bottom