The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi. I'm new to vinyl and just bought an Audio Technica LP120 turntable and a Sherwood RX-4109 stereo receiver. I was hoping that you guys could give me some advice on speakers within the $200 range or so (working high schooler budget). I'm not quite sure if this is the best thread for this, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. Any input at all would be really helpful and much appreciated; I'm way out of the way from any store that sells a variety of speakers, so just popping into a store on any given day to test them out myself is out of the question. Thanks.

Hi. I'm new to vinyl and just bought an Audio Technica LP120 turntable and a Sherwood RX-4109 stereo receiver. I was hoping that you guys could give me some advice on speakers within the $200 range or so (working high schooler budget). I'm not quite sure if this is the best thread for this, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. Any input at all would be really helpful and much appreciated; I'm way out of the way from any store that sells a variety of speakers, so just popping into a store on any given day to test them out myself is out of the question. Thanks.

I think you're in the right spot, I just don't know the answer. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you, though :)

there is also this fancy new thread :sexywink::
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f295/turntables-stereo-audiophile-questions-and-discussion-216758.html

In terms of your question, there are several good blogs and review sites out there, here's an example for bookshelf speakers with a variety of prices:

The Audiophiliac's Top 10 speakers from $40 to $400 - CNET

I recently purchased a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 bookshelf speakers after reading several positive reviews (including that article above) and am really loving them so far. They are a little out of your budget range at $350 though.

If you're in the market for this month's new Sharon Van Etten album, you can cop the limited clear vinyl edition including a poster and bonus 7" here: Vinyl

$17, no tax, free shipping? Sign me up. The same bundle directly from Jagjaguwar comes out to like $32.

Thanks for this. I was discouraged by the Jagjaguwar price (Amazon had the regular version for about $30 too). Great deal, order placed.

there is also this fancy new thread :sexywink::
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f295/turntables-stereo-audiophile-questions-and-discussion-216758.html

In terms of your question, there are several good blogs and review sites out there, here's an example for bookshelf speakers with a variety of prices:

The Audiophiliac's Top 10 speakers from $40 to $400 - CNET

I recently purchased a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 bookshelf speakers after reading several positive reviews (including that article above) and am really loving them so far. They are a little out of your budget range at $350 though.

Cool! Thanks! I'll definitely look them up.

The Police- Regatta de Blanc
INXS-Kick
INXS- Listen Like Thieves
Beastie Boys-Solid Gold Hits
Simon and Garfunkel-Greatest Hits

Finally got Timber Timbre's Hot Dreams on vinyl today. Such a well pressed and well sounding album.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

The ultra vinyl is gimmicky, but not that bad. The idea for tracks placed under labels was pushing it however.

Album of the year

81jIV4og3qL._SL1500_.jpg

So excited that the Beatles mono vinyl box set is going to be all analog sourced and carefully mastered as opposed to the stereo set from 2012 that was digitally sourced and had pressing defects.

A company named "four men with beards" has apparently been reissuing some Miles Davis live albums as of late. I picked up Dark Magus today (highly recommended album, by the way) and it looks and sounds great. Heavyweight gatefold and all that jazz.

Three things:

On a trip to Montreal last week, I found the Ordinary Love 10" for $13. The guy said the store got two in for RSD and only one of them sold.

There was recently a very limited repressing of Dylan's Time out of Mind, and I was lucky enough to find one at what I thought was a reasonable price.

This article from Pitchfork about the state of the vinyl industry is worth a read: Wax and Wane: The Tough Realities Behind Vinyl's Comeback | Pitchfork

Best of 1980-1990 vinyl

Does anyone who has the vinyl of the Best of 1980-1990 know if there's the same minute gap of silence between "One Tree Hill" and "October" as on the Japanese CD version (and "All I Want Is You" and "October" on the regular release)? It's the only place October is actually listed on the back, and based on the prices online I'm not going to find out for myself.

IMGP2509.jpg

Picked up the two Beatles albums I've always wanted in mono, Sgt Peppers and Revolver. $19.99 each, not bad considering the care that went into reproducing these and also considering that original UK Parlophone copies sell for about 80 to 90 dollars each.

So it seems that Songs of Innocence will be the first colored U2 vinyl since the Lemon single? I like that.

Back
Top Bottom