The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMG_20131205_185433.jpg

I'm bad at putting albums away.

It is a good brew. Had it two years ago. My local supermarket which carries awesome beers had it in store tonight. Picked up a bottle and revisited the album this evening.

I had a good find recently:

cocteau.jpg

It came with the Sunburst & Snowblind EP on bright purple vinyl. 4AD did a great job with this one.

Can you guys recommend a good preamp to go with my turntable? I've been using a cheap, battery-run preamp for years, and think it's time to upgrade. I don't want to spend too much money, though ($50-100).

I've been looking for a copy of Depeche Mode's Violator for a long time now, but had not found anything in stores at all or online for less than $100. Tonight, in Istanbul of all places, I found one for only $40, and the limited 2007 issue at that. Needless to say I am quite pleased.

I like that it is being replaced with a similar shelving unit hah.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Recent purchases (since I finally got something to play them on!)
Rolling Stones-Beggar's Banquet
Vampire Weekend-Modern Vampires of the City
Ray LaMontagne-Til The Sun Turns Black
Sting-Dream of The Blue Turtles
Police-Zenyatta Mondatta
Michael Jackson-Thriller
Queen-Innuendo

Just picked up Steven Wilson's Insurgentes at Rough Trade NYC. First time I ever found a vinyl for any of his projects. They had some Porcupine Tree too.

Given that he's an audiophile, I knew the vinyl would sound excellent and am happy to report that it's fantastically mixed.

Very nice. I need to give that Eagulls a shot.

It rocks (Eagulls).

The Guided By Voices Bee Thousand was more or less a really good score. There's some surface noise, but it is a first pressing and it was only $24 dollars. Copies tend to sell for upwards to $200 on the used market.

It's Record Store Day! What did everyone pick up? I grabbed "1984" picture disc by Bowie, the Springsteen and Joy Division releases, the Garbage with Brody Dalle single and "Holding On For Life" by Broken Bells.

RSD_zpsad0373f3.jpg

Have no idea what that Garbage thing is all about but a ton of people were buying it along with the Joy Division EP. I passed on the JD as it's $15 for four songs...could just snag a reissue of one of the albums instead, but I get the point since these are non-album tracks. I wonder if it would have been even more sought after with the Nazi drummer boy cover...

My store, Amoeba Berkeley, had everything on my want list (or I'm assuming they did as I didn't see one of them). I ran into a guy that grabbed the last copy of the Otis Redding - Pain In My Heart reissue and I shed a tear as I noticed someone in line holding the REM boxed set. That was easily the biggest disappointment of the day. With only 2500 copies and some 2000 stores participating in RSD, well, you do the math. I ran right over there the second I got in the door and someone else was sadly thumbing through the REM stuff with a sigh. Multiple people in line mentioned that release before we went in and many expected it to sell out quickly. It's now on eBay for around $150 at the low bid. Ugh.

I did not see the reissue of Big Mama Thornton's Sassy Mama, but I'm certain it was there. The biggest sellers seem to be very limited classic rock act releases, and especially, soul reissues. Many were complaining about the Sam Cooke one being gone.

All in all, it was a fucking madhouse, but I got a ton of vinyl for next to nothing thanks to leftover gift certificates I received from birthdays or $10 for $20 deals.

- The Field - From Here We Go Sublime (My #2 most sought after the REM boxed set. This is the first time this classic has been released on vinyl and with a limited run of only 500 copies. Surprising I snagged one, but then I also found one in the bin at the Rasputin down the street which had a rather paltry selection that included, no joke, at least 20 copies of that awful new Pixies album. Very glad I got this)

Saturday Looks Good To Me - Both of these reissues...not sure either was on vinyl before.

The Zombies - Both of these reissues. A mono compilation of early material and a limited mono run of their masterpiece LP.

Of Montreal - Satanic Panic (10th Anniversary Edition)

Life Without Buildings - I think this is also an anniversary or something and comes with a 7"

Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey (expected this to sell out quickly given the speed that the REM one probably flew off the shelves, but you can probably pick this one up fairly easily weeks after the fact.)

Ultimately, I showed up about a half hour before opening and there was line of probably 150 people. I don't really regret not showing up sooner as the people that snagged the REM box may have arrived at some ungodly hour.

Cut and pasted from my post on the Steve Hoffman forums:

1. The Flaming Lips - 7 SKIES H3 (listening now, condensing a 24 hour song to 50 minutes seems to work out nicely)
2. The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle*
*(not sure I needed another stereo copy of Odessey & Oracle since I own the Big Beat reissue, but got it anyway, but realized it was stereo after I had paid for it... was hoping it was mono) I wanted The Zombies "I Love You" but my store didn't have it. I wonder what was used as a source for the Zombies reissues???

3. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis West of Memphis Soundtrack (my store was giving away free tickets to see Nick Cave in LA with the purchase of this album, but they ran out before I paid for my copy :\ )

4. Joy Division - An Ideal for Living
5. The Black Angels - Clear Lake Forest.

Overall I had a really good experience, I typically do anyway. I lined up at 6:30 am and there was the usual quietness with everyone in line because I guess we are all socially awkward record nerds, and it was also 6:30 am. Once people started passing around boxes of donuts and coffee got into everyone's systems we all started chatting and it was nice. By the time my store let people in at 9:45 the line was ridiculously long. Thankfully I got there early. The only thing worse than the line to get in was the line to pay and get out though. I made it.

IMGP9884.JPG

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything I had wanted. The LCD Soundsystem box I expected to be gone, but I thought I might grab Disclosure's Apollo, Oasis' Supersonic, or the Tame Impala live set.

Sadly, there was no way I could afford the LCD box unless I sacrificed everything else. $150 is pretty damn steep.

As for REM, I was equally disappointed that I couldn't grab that, or Ghostbusters. As soon as I saw the line though, I knew there was no chance for REM.

I went to Permanent Records in Greenpoint and got on line about an hour beforehand. I nearly missed the Garbage record but I mentioned it off-hand to my brother who remembered seeing it and went back to grab me one.

All in all, I had to sacrifice getting Foals at Royal Albert Hall and The Dresden Dolls, neither of which were a huge loss. My brothers had a pretty good trek as well, though since they focus mostly on metal, the competition wasn't nearly as tough. They grabbed Opeth's Watershed, Slipknot Vol. 3, Notorious B.I.G. and a pretty weird-looking Paramore single, where it looks like the record is broken in half.

Back
Top Bottom