The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BigMacPhisto said:
That's pretty insane to say the least. I mean, damn. But I'll take your word on it.

At least it wasn't a cassette that you were paying that price for. :lol:

BTW, how many pieces do you have, David? I have about 180-190 now and they take up roughly more than three full expedit shelves. Considering you have sixteen shelves....

I bought this reissue new today....it was like the old vinyl that I wanted so bad (although it became slightly less valuable in my opinion after the Spector albums boxed set on CD recently)....usually goes for about $50 on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/Presenting-Fabulous-Ronettes/dp/B0088XQDMA/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1345193344&sr=1-2&keywords=the+ronettes+presenting+the+fabulous+ronettes

It was only $16.99 at my local Rasputin (I still rarely go above $10 for any single disc vinyls though. Anything above $12 feels like murder to me), so there's great savings often at your local record stores. But yeah, great album and the reissue is on high quality vinyl and sounds fine.

I have 900+ lps. I've been collecting since mid 2003. My turntable is a Pro-ject Debut iii turntable. I've upgraded the cartridge on it to an Ortofon 2M red cartridge and also replaced the stock steel platter with an acrylic platter.

monoformyparents.jpg

I'm going to make a spreadsheet catalog of all my vinyl. Because I'm nerdy and have nothing better to do tonight.

That's a very cool collection by my book. :up: Thanks for letting us have a look, I'm jealous of some of the ones that you have.

For the vinyl and book lovers out there, the great Michael Chabon is releasing his new book - Telegraph Avenue - today. This is the story of two characters who own a record store in Berkeley. Should be very good - Chabon is certainly one of my favorite contemporary novelists.

9780061493348_custom-ca71dfa930785a87c5774835010e62abde8752e0-s15.jpg

Flying Lotus record came out two weeks early :drool:

107BF35E-5FC9-49D5-A359-C66B5D443D7D-1352-000000992493B3AD_zps6186a97e.jpg

Picked up the last collector's edition. Cost me $40 including a 10% discount, so I hope it's good. I have total faith though.

Hardback gatefold 180g (not that I can tell the difference) with a download and two gorgeous disc holders.

180g is thick and heavy. The old records you find at garage sales and shit feel like a sheet of paper if you hold them in one hand and compare it with a 180g in the other. The heavier the record, the less likely it is to warp over time.

Because I am bored as fuck:

LPs:

U2 - Boy (Remaster, 180g)
U2 - War (Remaster, 180g)
U2 - The Joshua Tree (Remaster, 180g)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (Reissue)
U2- Rattle & Hum
Green Day - Kerplunk
(Lookout! Records pressing)
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks (original 1977 pressing, rare version with Sid Vicious credited for "EMI")
Green Day - WARNING: (Adeline Records pressing, green translucent vinyl)
The Clash - London Calling (2004 remaster)
The Beatles - Abbey Road (French pressing by Pathe Marconi)
Green Day - American Idiot (Adeline Records pressing)
U2 - October (Remaster, 180g)
This. I dunno what it is. I bought it at the height of my U2 frenzy cause it had Edge on it.
Wings - Venus And Mars
The Go-Go's - Vacation
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
(Remaster, 180g)
Free Beer - The Only Beer That Matters
Victims Family - Things I Hate To Admit
The Clash - The Clash
(Remaster, 180g)
Tom Waits - Alice
The Beatles - Meet The Beatles!
(Original 1964 pressing. I never noticed this before but the front cover photo/design is pasted on, LOL)
Sid Vicious - Sid Sings (Portuguese import)
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Deadweight - Stroking The Moon
Weston/Doc Hopper - The Stepchildren of Rock
Sid Vicious - Live at CBGB's New York
The Lookouts - One Planet One People
U2 - Achtung Baby
(Uncensored cover, Warning in gold letters on back, bottom right: "Lent for promotional use only. Any sale or unauthorized transfer is prohibited and void. Subject to return upon demand by owner. Acceptance of this record constitutes agreement to the above." I think this was once a radio station's copy. [Crap, now McGuinness is going to be after me.])
The Lookouts - Spy Rock Road
Ramones - Ramones
(Remaster, 180g)
Rancid - Rancid (1993)
The Who et. al - Tommy (Original Movie Soundtrack)
Operation Ivy - Energy (Lookout! Records pressing)
Tiger Army - Music From Regions Beyond
A.F.I. - Answer That And Stay Fashionable
(vinyl-only release)
Ramones - Rocket To Russia (remaster, 180g)
The Misfits - Static Age
The Clash - Combat Rock
Sex Pistols - Psychotic Reaction
(Live album, 9 January 1978)
The Jim Carroll Band - Catholic Boy (autographed by guitarist Brian Linsley)
U2 - Zooropa
U2 - Pop
(Limited Edition with gatefold cover)
Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (Limited Edition, 3-LP Book)

EPs:

Repercussions - 11 Songs EP
Green Day - 1,000 Hours
Various - More Songs About Plants And Trees
The Lookouts - Mendocino Homeland
I Wanna Be Billie Joe - Wat Tyler
The Lookouts - IV
Erosion - Coma
(hot pink translucent vinyl)
Samiam - I Am
Rancid - Radio Radio Radio
Tiger Army - The Early Years EP
Various - Make The Collector Nerd Sweat
(One of 1026, translucent green and white marbled vinyl, still has original packaging)

Singles:

U2 - New Year's Day (Long Version)
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (Maxi Single)
Faze Action - Moving Cities
U2 - Vertigo
(Double A Side)
The Clash - Rock The Casbah
Beck - I Just Started Hating Some People Today
Green Day - Waiting
(pink vinyl, Adeline Records pressing)
Green Day - Minority (Adeline Records pressing)

I've got a blue 10" promotional radio station copy of live's "selling the drama" single with...um...I can't remember as a b side. Live version of tbd or shit towne or something on it. The college station even scribbled in marker on the back their acronym, so it totally looks like I stole it but in reality I paid 2 bucks from a used record store for the thing.

I've got a blue 10" promotional radio station copy of live's "selling the drama" single with...um...I can't remember as a b side. Live version of tbd or shit towne or something on it. The college station even scribbled in marker on the back their acronym, so it totally looks like I stole it but in reality I paid 2 bucks from a used record store for the thing.

I got my achtung baby off eBay...:uhoh:

it was "the dam at otter creek" and "shit towne" on the other side of the "selling the drama" 10", and says "advance for college radio only" printed on the sleeve, nevermind the scrawling from the radio station people.

yay lists. i'm going to play, too. since i don't actually care to ever buy another album on vinyl again, or even own a record player, this is going to remain my vinyl collection until i decide to dump the sell-able 7"s on ebay at some point.

all my vinyl fits in a single milk crate. i'm leaving out the beatles and zeppelin i swiped from my mother, and only including the stuff i acquired myself.

7" splits, singles, and EPs:
dropkick murphys - fields of athenry/shipping up to boston, if i were a carpenter (live)
dropkick murphys - walk away/we got the power, victory
dropkick murphys - alcohol/warlords [#306 of 500]
dropkick murphys/oxymoron split***
kings of nuthin'/the briggs split
street dogs/the dents split
u2 - desire/hallelujah here she comes
johnny cash - i walk the line/get rhythm
elvis costello & the attractions - girls talk/i can't stand up for falling down
descendents - 'merican EP
the randumbs - seven inch EP
ducky boys/the shods split***
minor threat - first demo tape [some 2003 cash-in on repressing something similar to their first EP]
tommy & the terrors/whiskey rebels split
down by law - punky brewster, yellow rat bastard/revolver
swginin' utters/uk subs split
uk subs - war on the pentagon
madball - NYHC EP
the working stiffs - a man and his sledgehammer
agnostic front "gotta go," "believe," "voices" in spanish [why the hell do i own this]
big bad bollocks/all systems stop split
the wretched ones - tributes suck
joe strummer & the mescaleros - coma girl picture disc
ramallah - but a whimper
the bruisers - still standing up, lunatic/mainliner, police oppression
the 101ers - letsagetabitarockin/motor boys motor

12" albums, EPs, and singles
the clash - self-titled (US)
the clash - give 'em enough rope
the clash - sandinista!
the clash - combat rock
sex pistols - never mind the bollocks...
stray cats - built for speed
soundgarden - down on the upside
u2 - 12" re-press of u23
u2 - under a blood red sky
new years day, and pride singles
the bruisers - cruisin for a bruisin
bad religion - the dissent of man
live - 4 songs EP
springsteen - greetings from asbury park
springsteen - the wild, the innocent, and the E street shuffle
springsteen - born to run
springsteen - darkness on the edge of town
springsteen - the river
springsteen - born in the usa
springsteen - tunnel of love

***those two are the only things i've ever bought on ebay.

man, like 75% of that list came from the same record store. i really miss that place.

:lol:

i have that, too. i even tried listening to it once, but could hardly hear anything at all.

there was a big-ass box of u2 stuff that either someone ditched all together to the used music store, or they just threw all the u2 stuff together in a big-ass box because they figured if someone was going to buy any old u2 stuff they'd probably buy other old u2 stuff. a couple books, some old propaganda pop/passengers era magazines, all the vinyl i mentioned...ok, i bought pretty much the entire box of stuff. except the concert bootleg from the JT tour, because the sound quality was about on par with that interview picture disc thing.

:lol:

i have that, too. i even tried listening to it once, but could hardly hear anything at all.

there was a big-ass box of u2 stuff that either someone ditched all together to the used music store, or they just threw all the u2 stuff together in a big-ass box because they figured if someone was going to buy any old u2 stuff they'd probably buy other old u2 stuff. a couple books, some old propaganda pop/passengers era magazines, all the vinyl i mentioned...ok, i bought pretty much the entire box of stuff. except the concert bootleg from the JT tour, because the sound quality was about on par with that interview picture disc thing.
haha, cool. Yeah, I think the picture disc is just meant to look pretty. Meant to. It is, after all, U2 at their height of hobo fashion.

That looks awesome. Apparently, the uploader suggests this method for DJs only; it's needlessly intense for people who just listen to records on their home stereo.

Picked up this bad boy today.

A052B5E5-AB4A-47F4-B363-321594E32BC6-2536-00000172F74D7E13_zpsf35a75df.jpg

It's got a remix of the intro, Curls and All Caps vocal and instrumentals, plus a track called Scene Three I've not heard.

That looks awesome. Apparently, the uploader suggests this method for DJs only; it's needlessly intense for people who just listen to records on their home stereo.

Wouldn't the reverse be true? Someone at a club isn't gonna hear a click or pop. But I'll sure as hell hear one sitting on my couch.

I'm gonna try this.

I picked up Actung Baby, for the rather lucky price of £6.99 on ebay the other day. Not sure what condition it will be in. Im not expecting much...but you never know

Back
Top Bottom