The Verve New Single!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, Sit & Wonder and Columbo are excellent. Definitely have to pick this up for my road trip next week. I'm also dying to see them. Please come to a city near me.

Columbo alone makes this album worth the money - a piece that mines territory that The Verve can claim as theirs alone. Something that a band like Interpol would aspire to create, but quite frankly, good as they are, simply dont have the chops for. Dark, atmospheric, sexy, trippy...

Rest of the album is very hit and miss though for me. Sit and Wonder is good but it doesnt quite get as violent as I'd like - suppose the ferocious live versions spoilt it for me. Judas is pretty, Appalachian Springs has some clumsy lyrics and muddy production but has its moments, Love is Noise is the Big Single and works, Rather Be and Numbness are ok, but Noise Epic is silly, underdone, and pointless, I See Houses never takes off, and Valium Skies just downright embarrassing. Seems like they simply didnt give themselves enough quality control time with the work and pushed it out. And McCabe's wizardry has been seriously underused.

Sit and Wonder: A great opener with a cool groove. This song sounds like it could be epic live.
Love is Noise: Of course, it's the single, and it deserves it. Sounds to me like they've changed up the mix a bit from the initial leak that was heard, and brought the guitar up a bit. This song fuckin rocks, and doesn't let up start to finish.
Rather Be: A simpler track, reminds me of something like This Time. Not really a standout on the album, but still eminently listenable and catchy.
Judas: This song sounds like the Verve mashed up a few guitar lines from Pink Floyd's "Marooned" and "Keep Talking", gave it an upbeat tempo and built some cool overdubs around it. The sound of a band playing underwater for an audience of whales.
Numbness: Unreal. Again, vaguely Floydian (reminds me of Breathe), but with the unmistakable Verve vibe. I especially love their spacey tracks, and this sounds like it could have been on A Storm in Heaven. My favourite track so far.

Time for the second half, VERY solid thus far, though. :up::up:

I See Houses: A nice tune, but not terribly memorable.
Noise Epic: Sounds completely unfinished. The only song on the album where I really feel they didn't put in a full effort. It's a shame, cause there's a seed of brilliance in there, but it didn't quite get watered properly.
Valium Skies: Not great, but for some reason there's something I dig about this track that I can't quite put my finger on. I feel like this one might be a grower.
Columbo: Unfuckingreal. This is worth the price of the disc alone. This is what would happen when A Man Called Sun and Weeping Willow had a baby and jacked it up on steroids. An absolute ripper.
Appalachian Springs: Not awful, a good song and a decent closer, but like I See Houses, not altogether memorable.

The first half was a bit better than the second, but otherwise a seriously killer album. I can see this getting a shitload of spins/listens on the iPod. Roll on Tuesday :hyper:

I cannot fucking stop listening to this album. It's everything I hoped it would be. "Comeback/reunion" albums generally sound like shite, but this is the complete opposite. I'm blown away.

All day I've had melodies and hooks from this album floatin' through my mind all day, whenever I think, I've got I See Houses or Valium Skies or Judas as the soundtrack to my day, this album is immense.

Loving it.....

It's a good album, but Noise Epic is just toxic. Destroys any flow and is 8 minutes not very well spent for the listener, a waste of time.

Judas is such a soothing song, gorgeous tune. Love the lyric.

It's a good album, but Noise Epic is just toxic. Destroys any flow and is 8 minutes not very well spent for the listener, a waste of time.

Judas is such a soothing song, gorgeous tune. Love the lyric.

There's actually some people (not me) who think Noise Epic is one of their best songs :wink:

Numbness is the worst song on the album to me

There's actually some people (not me) who think Noise Epic is one of their best songs :wink:

Numbness is the worst song on the album to me

Certainly an album that is divisive:wink:. Numbness is a bit of a drag I have to admit though. And there are some who are bound to detest the more commercial Valium Skies and Love Is Noise, which are just the most delightful ear candy for me.

Certainly an album that is divisive:wink:. Numbness is a bit of a drag I have to admit though. And there are some who are bound to detest the more commercial Valium Skies and Love Is Noise, which are just the most delightful ear candy for me.

I think the album is basically a mix of all the Verve eras

My favourites are Sit and Wonder, Love is Noise, Judas, Columbo, and Appalachian Springs

Back
Top Bottom