The Verve New Single!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sent!

off to bed now :yawn:

Thanks! :up:

Just wish I liked it more. The backing vocals are incredibly irritating. I feel like this is just another watered-down Ashcroft solo track. Where the hell is Nick McCabe?

THE VERVE'S NEW ALBUM 'FORTH' DUE FOR CANADIAN RELEASE ON AUGUST 19, 2008
NEW SINGLE "LOVE IS NOISE" AT RADIO NOW!

The Verve, Richard Ashcroft (vocals), Simon Jones (bass), Nick McCabe (guitar) and Peter Salisbury (drums) released their first single for over ten years to radio this week. Entitled "Love Is Noise," this is their first single since 1998's "Sonnet."

Produced by the band and recorded at State Of The Ark and Metropolis studio in London, "Love Is Noise" will surprise and thrill even the most ardent Verve fan and looks set to become an anthem for the summer. The single is taken from their new album Forth which is due for release in Canada on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 on Parlophone/EMI Music Canada.

After finishing the record earlier this year the band went straight into an international tour, including a Toronto show and a triumphant appearance at the Coachella festival where "Love Is Noise" went down a storm as the set closer.

The band will be playing the following festivals over the summer:

27/06/08 THE EDEN PROJECT, CORNWALL
29/06/08 GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL, GLASTONBURY
04/07/08 WERCHER FESTIVAL, BELGIUM
05/07/08 BOBITAL FESTIVAL, BOBITAL
11/07/08 T IN THE PARK, KINROSS
12/07/08 OXYGEN FESTIVAL, DUBLIN
16/07/08 ITALIA WAVE FESTIVAL, LIVORNO
18/07/08 SUMMERCASE FESTIVAL, MADRID
19/07/08 SUMMERCASE FESTIVAL, BARCELONA
09/08/08 SUMMERSONIC FESTIVAL, TOKYO
10/08/08 SUMMERSONIC FESTIVAL, OSAKA
16/08/08 V FESTIVAL, STAFFORD
17/08/08 V FESTIVAL, CHELMSFORD

The song really seems to be splitting the fanbase right down the middle, can't wait for the repeat of this when U2 release their next single :wink:

Did you see the original review thread for Vertigo? Pretty much EVERYONE loved it for about a week.

Same with the album apparently but a couple of weeks late; it was cool to hate U2 again...

Sometimes I wonder if that has less to do with the staying power of a song than it does people's own obnoxiousness. Whatever.

Still excited about the Verve's new album, just don't think the single is anything special at the moment.

Apparently the band are gonna to release a track called Mover as a free download on their website, and the song won't be appearing on the album.

Also from what I've heard of the album it will feature a mix of songs from their early style, ANS style, UH style and also some similar to Love is Noise and it will be a dark record; definitely looking to hearing it now.

Apparently the band are gonna to release a track called Mover as a free download on their website, and the song won't be appearing on the album.

Also from what I've heard of the album it will feature a mix of songs from their early style, ANS style, UH style and also some similar to Love is Noise and it will be a dark record; definitely looking to hearing it now.

"Mover" is gonna be a helluva tune if it is in any way related to the song of the same title that they played on tour in '93-'94. It was one of the batch of songs between "A Storm in Heaven" and "A Northern Soul". Totally rocking.

as a freebie - well that's FANTASTIC news!

So I decided that since I'd only ever really heard Urban Hymns (one of my top 3 albums of all time) but nearly none of their earlier stuff (except Gravity Grave), that I ought to download a few tracks. So I got History, A Man Called Sun, A New Decade, and Slide Away.

I can't believe I waited so long to do this. These guys are awesome. Holy fuck. Anything else I really, really need to get? :drool:

So I decided that since I'd only ever really heard Urban Hymns (one of my top 3 albums of all time) but nearly none of their earlier stuff (except Gravity Grave), that I ought to download a few tracks. So I got History, A Man Called Sun, A New Decade, and Slide Away.

I can't believe I waited so long to do this. These guys are awesome. Holy fuck. Anything else I really, really need to get? :drool:

Id recommend you get, Life's An Ocean, Stormy Clouds, She's A Superstar, Beautiful Mind, Already There.

See what you think of them!

I'd recommend you get everything. really. seriously. both albums preceding Urban Hymns are 5/5 or better. "A Northern Soul" is a little bit more conventional, production wise. Vocals sit more traditionally in the mix, and the band plays more like a rock band - highlights include the 2 tracks you mentioned, "This is Music", "On Your Own", and "No Knock On my Door" (seriously asskicking guitars on that), oh yeah - "life's an ocean" is beyond ace. just get the album.

"A Storm in Heaven" is not of this world. "Slide Away" is easily the most conventional song on the record, but it gives a good flavor of what the production and atmospherics are like. The whole thing sounds like it's in some gargantuan, navy blue cave. an underwater cave. it's fucking amazing. it's not shoegazing in the conventional sense - there is a LOT of jazz elements in the rhythms, and Nick McCabe is absolutely off his rocker. Richard's vocals are more a PART of the mix - part of the music. less like a band backing a vocalist - more like another swirly, amorphous musical element. it is THE BEST night-time record. "Star Sail", "ALREADY THERE" (insane - slow building, atmospheric, then the sky rips open - uncanny), "See You In the Next One (Have a good time)" provides a nice comedown for the album. "Make it Til Monday" is crazy modern psychedelia. Jimi Hendrix would have loved this. Try to track down a live version, it's skull crushing.... there's not a bad track on it. It works as well as any album ever has from beginning to end.

as lovely as Urban Hymns is, it's almost funny compared to these 2 other albums. i'd say start with the full-lengths and then go for the rarities - some of those are amazing, too. leave me scratching my head as to why they were left off albums. "She's a Superstar" is a good bet, too. Christ, they put out some amazing shit....

I still need to check out A Northern Soul. I second the "A Storm In Heaven is not of this world" comment; it's truly awesome.

I don't think A Storm in Heaven or Northern Soul are good as Urban Hymns, although both are really great albums and definitely worth checking out

History is still their best song

I think there is a webcast but it's showing one of the other bands :(

They're mostly playing stuff from Urban Hymns with 2 tracks from a Northern Soul and one new one which was cut

maybe it will show up online later or tomorrow.. I am watching the clip of The Raconteurs from Sat nite.. right now.. I didn't see The Verve on the page but imagine it will be there.

Did you hear about Jay Z's performance at it? he opened with Wonderwall

and the Verve are playing Love is Noise :dance:

This is Music
Sonnet
Space and Time
Sit and Wonder (cut)
History.
Life's an Ocean
Velvet Morning
The Rolling People
The Drugs Don't Work
Lucky Man
Bittersweet Symphony
Love Is Noise

That's the setlist for Glastonbury, the band played brilliantly and seemed to be enjoying themselves a lot but the setlist was a little too short and Urban Hymns heavy.

Space And Time and Life's An Ocean were definitely the standout tracks for me at Glastonbury. Those of you who haven't seen it yet you've got to check them two songs out when they are posted on youtube. That ending to Life's An Ocean was amazing!!

Back
Top Bottom