The Verve New Single! - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #76
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 489
Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Christ almighty.

How the fuck did I ever miss this band?

I haven't paid for a physical copy of a CD since I bought The Best of The Allman Brothers Band off Amazon on Boxing Day 2005, but I'm going to get Forth the day it comes out.

Seriously, I haven't loved everything I've heard by a band since I was probably 16. Fuck.
Haha, so you've gotten the Verve sickness. Great to hear. I remember when i got into them. I'd bought Urban Hymns as a lad at 16 and loved it, but then discovered U2 shortly after and my madness for them eclipsed everything else until the summer 2001, when I bought A Northern Soul at Heathrow on a whim. Heard the opening 3 songs, and I was hooked. Spent the next 2 weeks blindly downloading everything I could find by them on Kazaa, discovering new gems all the while - Slide Away, Blue, No Come Down, Gravity Grave, One Way to Go, She's a Superstar....it's just incredible how many brilliant songs they've written, considering they only released one album proper.

Anyway, I digress with the rambling. Point is, it's just fucking GREAT when you're discovering a band. It's almost like falling in love...
__________________

__________________
tomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 09:59 AM
official vid for Love is Noise...


MySpaceTV Videos: The Verve - Love Is Noise by The Verve
__________________

__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,388
Local Time: 08:59 AM
Wow, this mix sounds even better (guitar is higher) than the radio rip I have on my hard drive - every time I hear Love is Noise, I like it more and more. Killer groove.

Roll on August 19
__________________
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:14 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict
 
kafrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upside-down
Posts: 19,644
Local Time: 06:59 AM
etc. Awesome.

Looks like Richard's rocking his Bittersweet Symphony look in this vid
__________________
kafrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:19 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict
 
kafrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upside-down
Posts: 19,644
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Christ almighty.

How the fuck did I ever miss this band?
I don't know, how could you??

I kid Better late than never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Anyway, I digress with the rambling. Point is, it's just fucking GREAT when you're discovering a band. It's almost like falling in love...
So true I feel like I'm falling in love with them all over again with this new album coming out.. *happysigh*
__________________
kafrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:47 AM   #81
Refugee
 
Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: K-Mart Lingerie Section
Posts: 1,794
Local Time: 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Christ almighty.

How the fuck did I ever miss this band?

I haven't paid for a physical copy of a CD since I bought The Best of The Allman Brothers Band off Amazon on Boxing Day 2005, but I'm going to get Forth the day it comes out.

Seriously, I haven't loved everything I've heard by a band since I was probably 16. Fuck.
Welcome to the fanclub! I believe the creativity brought by the Verve ranks among the best of the best.
__________________
Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irishteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 29,624
Local Time: 02:59 PM
Just saw them live, absolutely incredible band
__________________
Irishteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Just saw them live, absolutely incredible band


what and where? details man details stat!!!!!!!!!!!!! spill it!
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irishteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 29,624
Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
what and where? details man details stat!!!!!!!!!!!!! spill it!
Oxegen music festival, the co-headlined the Saturday night with R.E.M., got about an hour and 20 minutes on stage; I'm pretty sure they played the exact same set as they did at Glastonbury, and they played it just as well. I don't have any pictures because I was too caught up in the moment to change the batteries in my camera
__________________
Irishteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Oxegen music festival, the co-headlined the Saturday night with R.E.M., got about an hour and 20 minutes on stage; I'm pretty sure they played the exact same set as they did at Glastonbury, and they played it just as well. I don't have any pictures because I was too caught up in the moment to change the batteries in my camera

oh wow! that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally understand about the pics...

how was REM?
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:59 PM
I don't think I have read every post in this thread so I apologize if this has been asked before but... what's the best place to start with this band? The Singles collection? Urban Hymns? something else?

PS: I only know Bittersweet Symphony. I do have one other song from Hymns I think but it's somewhat unmemorable to me.
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #87
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, England
Posts: 77
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I don't think I have read every post in this thread so I apologize if this has been asked before but... what's the best place to start with this band? The Singles collection? Urban Hymns? something else?

PS: I only know Bittersweet Symphony. I do have one other song from Hymns I think but it's somewhat unmemorable to me.

If you know Bittersweet Symphony and like that then start with Urban Hymns, it also contains most of their other hits like 'The Drug's Don't Work', 'Lucky Man' and 'Sonnet'.

If you then like that get their 'A Northern Soul' and 'A Storm In Heaven' Albums, followed by the 'She's A Superstar', 'Gravity Grave' and 'All In The Mind' singles.

After you've got those you'll be well on your way with your Verve collection.
__________________
StoneRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #88
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, England
Posts: 77
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
it's just incredible how many brilliant songs they've written, considering they only released one album proper.

Actually The Verve have released three studio albums so far, they are:-

A Storm In Heaven - 1993
A Northern Soul - 1995
Urban Hymns - 1997

Also a b-sides album called 'No Come Down' from 1994 i think.
__________________
StoneRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRoses View Post
If you know Bittersweet Symphony and like that then start with Urban Hymns, it also contains most of their other hits like 'The Drug's Don't Work', 'Lucky Man' and 'Sonnet'.

If you then like that get their 'A Northern Soul' and 'A Storm In Heaven' Albums, followed by the 'She's A Superstar', 'Gravity Grave' and 'All In The Mind' singles.

After you've got those you'll be well on your way with your Verve collection.
Thanks. I'll give Urban Hymns a shot!
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irishteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 29,624
Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
oh wow! that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally understand about the pics...

how was REM?
REM were incredible too, their second song was These Days, which was the song I wanted to hear most

Love is noise, love is pain, love is these blues that I'm singing again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I don't think I have read every post in this thread so I apologize if this has been asked before but... what's the best place to start with this band? The Singles collection? Urban Hymns? something else?

PS: I only know Bittersweet Symphony. I do have one other song from Hymns I think but it's somewhat unmemorable to me.
Urban Hymns is their poppiest album, so maybe you should start with that. I'd recommend for people who are getting into the Verve who like more poppier songs to start with Urban Hymns, then A Northern Soul, then A Storm in Heaven.
__________________

__________________
Irishteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
the verve

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com