The Verve Fans - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 10:05 AM
The Verve Fans

Hi guys, just wondering, are there any other Verve/U2 fans out there? Have any of you seen them?
Another question, has U2/The Verve ever had interactions with each other? Like know each other's music and stuff.
Thanks!

TheGeekyU2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Mad Richard-era Verve is life.

Quite specifically, this video is life.

Even more specifically, Gravity Grave (from 44:00) is one of the absolute pinnacles of shoegaze as a genre, and of live music in general.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #3
Vocal parasite

Also, paging the fuck out of DaveC.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-15-2018, 03:28 AM   #4
War Child

Cool. My fav album.is A Storm In Heaven. I love how atmospheric it is. Got into the verve around 2016 which is pretty late. Several months after RA's These People.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

To this day, History is my favourite The Verve song. Nothing else comes close. Which probably makes me a pretty bad fan, that's ok, I never said I was a fan. That said, I do like their earlier stuff a bit more than their later stuff (eg. Urban Hymns).
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
Vocal parasite

A Storm in Heaven, Voyager 1, and the other early stuff is where it's at for me. Not many bands were doing psychedelic shoegaze, and few - then or since - have done it even vaguely like Verve. I hate that Richard Ashcroft took all the limelight because Nick McCabe is the band, one of the most inventive and distinctive guitarists ever.

I love Urban Hymns as well, though it's rare that I don't just start the album from The Rolling People. A Northern Soul is too patchy. A New Decade/This Is Music completely fucking owns, but then the album never quite lives up to that.

I only acknowledge Mover and Sit and Wonder from what happened in 2007-09.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Probably the Verve were another of those bands that turned into The Richard Ashcroft Show after too much fame and assorted bullshit went to the frontman's head.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

Yeah, Jones and McCabe basically accused Ashcroft of that the last the band fell apart, and of using the band to try to promote his solo career.

His solo stuff, incidentally, is completely awful.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I've heard very little of Richard Ashcroft's solo stuff, only enough to suggest that Ian Smith's Brown's solo stuff is a little better. Call that faint praise, or whatever.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
A Storm in Heaven, Voyager 1, and the other early stuff is where it's at for me. Not many bands were doing psychedelic shoegaze, and few - then or since - have done it even vaguely like Verve. I hate that Richard Ashcroft took all the limelight because Nick McCabe is the band, one of the most inventive and distinctive guitarists ever.

I love Urban Hymns as well, though it's rare that I don't just start the album from The Rolling People. A Northern Soul is too patchy. A New Decade/This Is Music completely fucking owns, but then the album never quite lives up to that.

I only acknowledge Mover and Sit and Wonder from what happened in 2007-09.
i agree with 95% of this but fuck your opinion of a northern soul. the ending trio of life's an ocean/stormy clouds/reprise is life-altering.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #11
War Child

It seems that nowadays RA is acting like he is a big star. like all the Verve songs were only written and performed by him. He's forgetting where those songs came from. but nowadays Nick McCabe is now living a regular life, but still plays that heavenly guitar on his youtube channel. I don't know what the other guys are up to now.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #12
Vocal parasite

He'd never admit it, but Ashcroft does seem to at least realise on some internal level that without McCabe it's not The Verve, or you can guarantee he'd be touring as "Richard Ashcroft's Verve" right now with a bunch of session fuckos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
i agree with 95% of this but fuck your opinion of a northern soul. the ending trio of life's an ocean/stormy clouds/reprise is life-altering.
Got to be honest, I almost never get that far. I encounter A New Decade/This Is Music and the title track regularly in my Best of the Verve playlist, but I honestly couldn't tell you when I last listened to the rest of the album.

I'll sort that out today, huh.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekyU2Fan View Post
It seems that nowadays RA is acting like he is a big star. like all the Verve songs were only written and performed by him. He's forgetting where those songs came from. but nowadays Nick McCabe is now living a regular life, but still plays that heavenly guitar on his youtube channel. I don't know what the other guys are up to now.
simon tong still does some session work, he was in the good the bad and the queen and toured with blur and gorillaz recently. the drummer is playing with the charlatans. no idea what the bass player is doing though, i think last i heard he did some charity gig with simon tong and not much else since then but i could be wrong about that.

is it bad that i don't know the names of the drummer and bass player in my favourite band of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Got to be honest, I almost never get that far. I encounter A New Decade/This Is Music and the title track regularly in my Best of the Verve playlist, but I honestly couldn't tell you when I last listened to the rest of the album.

I'll sort that out today, huh.
i'm not the biggest fan of history or drive you home - the former i usually skip and latter could probably have been left off as a b-side IMO, and brainstorm interlude could be a couple minutes shorter. but those last three tracks are about as good as the verve ever was. especially live, the stormy clouds/reprise combo is as good as anything from the ASIH era.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
War Child

The drummer and bassist's names are Peter Salisbury and Simon Jones.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I still haven't listened to Storm in Heaven, as much as I love Urban Hymns and Northern Soul. I enjoyed Forth for a few months but rarely revisit it. Judas is probably my highlight.

intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote