The Teen Dream that won't end up with you on To Catch a Predator AKA Beach House - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #31
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
Merriweather Post Pavilion sydrome, an album I loved at the beginning of the year and hardly feel compelled to listen to toward the end.
This happened to me as well. Actually, outside of My Girls and Summertime Clothes, I probably won't listen to that album ever again.

Silver Soul is my recent favorite song from Teen Dream.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
This happened to me as well. Actually, outside of My Girls and Summertime Clothes, I probably won't listen to that album ever again.
That's quite unfortunate.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #33
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
That's quite unfortunate.
It really is. Brother Sport may very well be my favorite Animal Collective song, and No More Runnin' is a lovely ballad. On the other hand, there certainly is a dip. Lion In A Coma goes full retard, and I can't even remember how Taste goes.

Teen Dream has been an occasional visitor to Rhapsody, and at the moment it is, so I'll give it another listen tonight. Even if I can be painfully uncool at times, gotta take a stab at being the contrary. I wish MadForIt would stop doing the same.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Quote:

Silver Soul is my recent favorite song from Teen Dream.
I don't think I'll ever get tired of Summertime Clothes.

Unfortunately I am already tired of Teen Dream after listening to it in my car for a week. I loved it at first but then something about the affected vocals and how the music kind of drones on started to annoy me. I'll put certain songs like Walk in the Park and Silver Soul on a playlist and probably still enjoy it mixed up like that but I don't think I can keep listening to the record all the way through.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #35
Blue Meth Addict

This sorta goes to the discussion that was happening in the Spoon thread, but I find something faaaaar more embarrassing image wise about music like Animal Collective's and the sort when it comes to supposed "indie" music. I can't help but feel like I'm supporting everything I hate about the sheepish hipster crowd when I listen to it. It really has nothing to do with the music, the album, or the band, it's just my own personal hatred of the "just for hipsters" type image that I associate to it. It's lame and sad, but I can't get past it.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:20 AM
I don't pay any attention to that stuff. I like what I like and I don't care who else likes it or hates it. That's one good thing about getting older, you just don't give a rat's ass about a lot of things that used to matter. It also helps that I generally don't even know what is considered hipster music. Ignorance and getting old, ftw.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
This sorta goes to the discussion that was happening in the Spoon thread, but I find something faaaaar more embarrassing image wise about music like Animal Collective's and the sort when it comes to supposed "indie" music. I can't help but feel like I'm supporting everything I hate about the sheepish hipster crowd when I listen to it. It really has nothing to do with the music, the album, or the band, it's just my own personal hatred of the "just for hipsters" type image that I associate to it. It's lame and sad, but I can't get past it.
i can sympathize. i find myself feeling the same way sometimes. take Grizzly Bear, for example. i listened to the album way after the hype train hit, and for me, it didn't even come close to living up to the hype. combine that with my general hatred for the hipster crowd, and i ended up really disliking the album. that's why i've decided to try to make a better effort of not paying attention to reviews and hype, and just try have more of a blind approach when it comes to discovering new artists.

ps. sorry for using THE GRIZ as an example, i know some of you are sick of seeing me diss them.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'd rather be a hipster than a juggalo.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I don't pay any attention to that stuff. I like what I like and I don't care who else likes it or hates it. That's one good thing about getting older, you just don't give a rat's ass about a lot of things that used to matter. It also helps that I generally don't even know what is considered hipster music. Ignorance and getting old, ftw.
This.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If it's between that and reminiscing about how great 90s music was when Blink and Third Eye Blind were in their heyday, I'll take being the hipster.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #41
Blue Meth Addict

Yeah, it all makes no sense. I'm a snob towards snob music, or something. The weird thing is, I had Animal Collective albums before MPP, and those were all probably more hipster-y and snobbish than MPP, so I may only have become annoyed by how many people suddenly flocked to it because Pitchfork told them to. I don't know what it was, but at some point something really rubbed me the wrong way about the album. Something that isn't the album or music's fault. Anyways, now I'm annoyed with myself for allowing that to happen.

Back to topic, I'm still really enjoying Teen Dream, but I can certainly see why you'd get annoyed with it if you were listening to it in the car or a bit too often. Seems like a good night album or something that's perfect for specific moods. Having soured myself on a few other things before because of that, I'm trying to make sure I only listen to it when I'm in the right moods so it always hits the spot.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #42
The Male

Quote:
I may only have become annoyed by how many people suddenly flocked to it because Pitchfork told them to.
Pitchfork has been pimping Animal Collective for years:

Here Comes The Indian: 8.6
Sung Tongs: 8.9
Feels: 9.0
Strawberry Jam: 9.3
Merriweather Post Pavillion: 9.6

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Absolutely true, ElMel. MPP was without a doubt their most accessible album, which is more of a reason for its immense popularity than P4K dropping a Best New Music tag on it.

As long as you don't listen to music in terms of who else like it, you're going to be fine.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
I'd rather be a hipster than a juggalo.
Thats like saying you'd rather have a hangnail than get your sack caught in the car door.

Funny thing is, I feel the exact same way about Animal Collective that U2PM does. Sometimes its just too hard to separate the band from the social group. Its obvious to all of us that Impy loves the Insane Clown Posse, but wont listen to it because of the Juggalo associations. MPP, to me, is the sound of hipsters hipstering

Thats not a bash on any of you guys that like it. Just my subjective opinion
Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Its obvious to all of us that Impy loves the Insane Clown Posse, but wont listen to it because of the Juggalo associations.
I'm that transparent?