The Teen Dream that won't end up with you on To Catch a Predator AKA Beach House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Merriweather Post Pavilion sydrome, an album I loved at the beginning of the year and hardly feel compelled to listen to toward the end.

This happened to me as well. Actually, outside of My Girls and Summertime Clothes, I probably won't listen to that album ever again.

Silver Soul is my recent favorite song from Teen Dream.

That's quite unfortunate.

It really is. Brother Sport may very well be my favorite Animal Collective song, and No More Runnin' is a lovely ballad. On the other hand, there certainly is a dip. Lion In A Coma goes full retard, and I can't even remember how Taste goes.

Teen Dream has been an occasional visitor to Rhapsody, and at the moment it is, so I'll give it another listen tonight. Even if I can be painfully uncool at times, gotta take a stab at being the contrary. I wish MadForIt would stop doing the same.

This happened to me as well. Actually, outside of My Girls and Summertime Clothes, I probably won't listen to that album ever again.

Silver Soul is my recent favorite song from Teen Dream.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Summertime Clothes.

Unfortunately I am already tired of Teen Dream after listening to it in my car for a week. I loved it at first but then something about the affected vocals and how the music kind of drones on started to annoy me. I'll put certain songs like Walk in the Park and Silver Soul on a playlist and probably still enjoy it mixed up like that but I don't think I can keep listening to the record all the way through.

This sorta goes to the discussion that was happening in the Spoon thread, but I find something faaaaar more embarrassing image wise about music like Animal Collective's and the sort when it comes to supposed "indie" music. I can't help but feel like I'm supporting everything I hate about the sheepish hipster crowd when I listen to it. It really has nothing to do with the music, the album, or the band, it's just my own personal hatred of the "just for hipsters" type image that I associate to it. It's lame and sad, but I can't get past it.

I don't pay any attention to that stuff. I like what I like and I don't care who else likes it or hates it. That's one good thing about getting older, you just don't give a rat's ass about a lot of things that used to matter. It also helps that I generally don't even know what is considered hipster music. Ignorance and getting old, ftw.

This sorta goes to the discussion that was happening in the Spoon thread, but I find something faaaaar more embarrassing image wise about music like Animal Collective's and the sort when it comes to supposed "indie" music. I can't help but feel like I'm supporting everything I hate about the sheepish hipster crowd when I listen to it. It really has nothing to do with the music, the album, or the band, it's just my own personal hatred of the "just for hipsters" type image that I associate to it. It's lame and sad, but I can't get past it.

i can sympathize. i find myself feeling the same way sometimes. take Grizzly Bear, for example. i listened to the album way after the hype train hit, and for me, it didn't even come close to living up to the hype. combine that with my general hatred for the hipster crowd, and i ended up really disliking the album. that's why i've decided to try to make a better effort of not paying attention to reviews and hype, and just try have more of a blind approach when it comes to discovering new artists.

ps. sorry for using THE GRIZ as an example, i know some of you are sick of seeing me diss them. :)

I don't pay any attention to that stuff. I like what I like and I don't care who else likes it or hates it. That's one good thing about getting older, you just don't give a rat's ass about a lot of things that used to matter. It also helps that I generally don't even know what is considered hipster music. Ignorance and getting old, ftw.

This.

If it's between that and reminiscing about how great 90s music was when Blink and Third Eye Blind were in their heyday, I'll take being the hipster.

Yeah, it all makes no sense. I'm a snob towards snob music, or something. The weird thing is, I had Animal Collective albums before MPP, and those were all probably more hipster-y and snobbish than MPP, so I may only have become annoyed by how many people suddenly flocked to it because Pitchfork told them to. I don't know what it was, but at some point something really rubbed me the wrong way about the album. Something that isn't the album or music's fault. Anyways, now I'm annoyed with myself for allowing that to happen.

Back to topic, I'm still really enjoying Teen Dream, but I can certainly see why you'd get annoyed with it if you were listening to it in the car or a bit too often. Seems like a good night album or something that's perfect for specific moods. Having soured myself on a few other things before because of that, I'm trying to make sure I only listen to it when I'm in the right moods so it always hits the spot.

I may only have become annoyed by how many people suddenly flocked to it because Pitchfork told them to.

:shrug: Pitchfork has been pimping Animal Collective for years:

Here Comes The Indian: 8.6
Sung Tongs: 8.9
Feels: 9.0
Strawberry Jam: 9.3
Merriweather Post Pavillion: 9.6

Absolutely true, ElMel. MPP was without a doubt their most accessible album, which is more of a reason for its immense popularity than P4K dropping a Best New Music tag on it.

As long as you don't listen to music in terms of who else like it, you're going to be fine.

I'd rather be a hipster than a juggalo.

Thats like saying you'd rather have a hangnail than get your sack caught in the car door.

Funny thing is, I feel the exact same way about Animal Collective that U2PM does. Sometimes its just too hard to separate the band from the social group. Its obvious to all of us that Impy loves the Insane Clown Posse, but wont listen to it because of the Juggalo associations. MPP, to me, is the sound of hipsters hipstering

Thats not a bash on any of you guys that like it. Just my subjective opinion

MPP Vampire Weekend, to me, is the sound of hipsters hipstering

There you go.

And I don't even care how embarrassing a band's audience is (well, OK, there's always Tool). I'll just take any opportunity I can to bash those preppy fucks.

Vampire Weekend is the sound tweeny MTV kids think "hipsters" dig. They think liking VW will give them some sort of "indie" cred, which in and of itself is a label true music fans scoff at.

It's undeniable that most of my favorite music adheres to the "indie" aesthetic (keep in mind its an aesthetic, not a genre), but that hardly makes me a hipster. You guys are the same way. I don't think P4K disciples listening to something should affect your perception of a band negatively.

To figure that out, we need to establish what exactly a "hipster" is in the grand scheme of things. Am I one just because I own several American Apparel v-necks, collect vinyl, read Pitchfork daily, and drink PBR? I don't believe so. But plenty of people would call me that. The difference is that I don't do those things in hopes of cultivating an image. True hipsters, the kind people seem to be complaining about, are those who only are into certain things so people will recognize them as such.

It's hip to be square guys.

RS430~Huey-Lewis-Rolling-Stone-no-430-September-1984-Posters.jpg

To figure that out, we need to establish what exactly a "hipster" is in the grand scheme of things. Am I one just because I own several American Apparel v-necks, collect vinyl, read Pitchfork daily, and drink PBR? I don't believe so. But plenty of people would call me that. The difference is that I don't do those things in hopes of cultivating an image. True hipsters, the kind people seem to be complaining about, are those who only are into certain things so people will recognize them as such.

My thoughts on the matter, from neu! Shuttlecock:

That's interesting. It's certainly an open door to discussion between diehards, and when I say diehards, I don't mean fans of a specific genre, but followers of music as a whole. The kind of people who dedicate hours to researching genres they may have never heard before, as well as deepening their knowledge with familiar genres; discovering more than just the usual representatives. It makes two individuals from potentially very different backgrounds colleagues, in a way. And that's why it bothers me that students of the medium are so easily labeled as hipsters, because they seek to discover music that outlasts trends; an inherently unhip way to listen to music.

That sounded pretentious as fuck, I realize, but I do feel a kinship with those who really put effort into discovering new sounds, even if their tastes couldn't be further from mine. Hey, even if they are, odds are strong that we will have at least a handful of albums in common, and that's enough to sustain one of those hours-long discussions Scumbo is talking about.

In short, I'm joking around right now. Vampire Weekend, to me, is exactly the kind of music that has caused such a backlash against indie rock and hipster culture as a whole, and that it was made in the same laboratory wherein Nick And Nora's Infinite Playlist was forged. But as far as the definition of "hipster" goes, you're on the money.

The only people I usually see from my perspective who bitch about Vampire Weekend are actual hipsters, so I'm not so sure about that, but whateva. Just seems like yet another of the countless pop bands out there who actually end up "making it', and then get rejected by the majority of their original fan base for acquiring fans who don't even know what "indie" is.

Well, I suppose I can truly only speak for myself anyway. I've hated them from the very first half-assed vocal harmony. They didn't have to become popular for me to shun them. However, I realize this is quickly turning into a Mikal/THE GRIZ! scenario, so I'll back off before I become insufferable.

To bring this full circle, image couldn't matter less to me. Perhaps it's because I dress myself in the dark, but whatevs. Look at Los Camp; their band name, band members' names, attitude and sound all reek of douchebaggery, yet their new album is a favorite of mine. Because of this, I've backed off from a lot of the bashing I had engaged in previously. If a group of albino Mormons (or, more far-fetched, Vampire Weekend) could make a great album, I wouldn't mock them too harshly. This is an impossible scenario, of course, but play along.

To be fair, I was never particularly high on Vampire Weekend. There were a few songs on the debut I liked and had fun listening to for a time, but the novelty wore off quickly and Contra sucked even worse than the second half of the self titled. In any case, I'd be lying if I said I didn't still get some enjoyment out of a couple of their tunes.

My problem with them now lies in the fact that they're getting popularity and acclaim that I feel is undeserved. Take Beach House, for example. The acclaim is there, but you'll never seen them sell out Stubb's in a couple hours. There are countless other bands I'd like to see "make it."

And it's worth mentioning the fact that "California English" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, and one of the songs on that album even managed to make poor MIA sound like shit.

Now let's get back on track.

LeMeL, you seem to have more issues with Mormons than even I do.

Imps, I wouldn't sweat the popularity. It's what dumb pop is supposed to do, get dumb fans.

I too likie that song.

I still don't understand all the hate for Used To Be, it doesn't seem out of place or bother me at all. I like it.

I'm even less hipster-looking. If you saw me walking around, you'd never guess I had any taste in music. I wear plain clothing and these days I sport a buzzcut.

I know a true hipster up here. He wears a lot of flannel, strange pants, and Ben Gibbard glasses.

He's a good guy.

I have never really understood the popularity of Vampire Weekend myself but let me just throw this out there for fun...I know a 66 year old man who absolutely loves them. He's a cool 66, always been into music and tries to keep up, but I found it kind of bizarre that out of all the newer bands, he latched on to them. And The Killers. I gave him a copy of In Rainbows when it came out and that got absolutely no response whatsoever. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom