the tarnishing of INXS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medmo

The Fly
This may be old news here, but I saw this on the CBS site.

THE NEXT GREAT ROCK STAR (working title)
Are you a singer/songwriter with a passion for rock and roll? Find out how you could become the next lead singer of the rock group INXS. Click here for casting call info.

.........it goes on to say:

HERE'S YOUR CHANCE TO BECOME THE NEXT GREAT ROCK STAR

The following are current dates and locations for UNTITLED ROCK STAR PROJECT (working title) open casting calls. Both women and men are encouraged to audition. You must be at least 21 years of age. Open Calls are on a first-come first-serve basis. Please arrive early! Due to scheduling restrictions, producers cannot guarantee everyone an audition. Producers will do their best to see everyone.

Charlotte, NC
Tuesday, January 25 (8AM - 4PM)
Milestone Club

Nashville, TN
Thursday, January 27 (8AM - 4PM)
Exit/In

New York, NY
Sunday, January 30 (8AM - 4PM)
CBGB

Minneapolis, MN
Tuesday, February 1 (8AM - 4PM)
First Avenue

Toronto, Canada
Friday, February 4 (8AM - 4PM)
The Mod Club

Chicago, IL
Sunday, February 6 (8AM - 4PM)
Schubas Tavern

Boston, MA
Wednesday, February 9 (8AM - 4PM)
Middle East

Omaha, NE
Friday, February 11 (8AM - 4PM)
Mick's Music & Bar

New Orleans, LA
Monday, February 14 (8AM - 4PM)
Tipitina's

Austin, TX
Wednesday, February 16 (8AM - 4PM)

I don't think this will do much to improve their legacy.

I'm really pissed off about this they where a great band but this quite possibly the stupidest thing ever

Last edited:
^yeah.

i think someone posted about this a while ago, but it was long enough ago that i was hoping since i hadn't heard anything new, they decided to scrap the idea. it's a terrible idea :down:

INXS is not INXS without Michael Hutchence.

That's like saying U2 could go on without Bono. It's just not possible.

okay, so they're going to be a couple hours away from my tomorrow. i wish i could go only so i could yell at them for doing this. i love inxs, and i can understand that they want to go on. that's fine, they can look for a new singer. but NOT with the inxs name. that's like looking for a replacement child if one dies. you can have another child, sure, but no child will replace the one you lost.

It is rather sad. The thing is Andrew wrote most of the music for the band. Michael wrote most of the lyrics obviously and some songs. I have met Andrew and he is a really nice down to earth guy. My impression is that he has that creativity in him and he just cant let it go and the rest of them just enjoy playing. I think they should have just started over with a new name. But they worked just as hard to get that name up there and I dont think they want to let it go. I wish they would, but I think thats their reasoning. :shrug:

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
Works for me! :up: But unfortunately not for them :down:
also i wonder are they going to do new material with this person? will they record new albums? but i still can't picture anyone but michael singing songs like mystify, never tear us apart, don't change...all of them really.

btw that's cool that you met andrew, he does seem like a really nice guy. i think out of everyone in the band i'd want to meet him...or jon :drool: :laugh:

I think that it is disgusting that they would do a reality show looking for someone to replace Michael Hutchence. Michael Hutchence is irreplaceable. It is an insult to Michael that they think that just some random person off the street can take his place. INXS has not done anything for years, but come on why would they even consider doing this. It seems people will do anything for money. This is just sad. :tsk:

KhanadaRhodes said:

also i wonder are they going to do new material with this person? will they record new albums?

Tim and Kirk were interviewed on Sydney radio this morning and one of the shows tests is going to be writing skills.
They have said in pervious interviews they will record new material with the winner, release a CD and then tour.

Visit http://www.michaelhutchence.com/work/deliver_me/deliver_middle.shtml
To hear 1. Raw and Uncut
2. The Middle Version
3. Final Version
of Deliver me.

I was shocked when I first heard this last year. I think its sad...especially after what happened to Michael. Its not like he left the band at his own accord and they *need* to find a new singer,but I mean considering the circumstances, why?

They are doing this across the globe! There will be tryouts in Aus over the next few weeks.

It was on the radio here in Perth as well.

This would have to be one of the most stupidest things I have ever heard.:madspit:

DaveC said:
INXS is not INXS without Michael Hutchence.

That's like saying U2 could go on without Bono. It's just not possible.

U2 could play just fine without Bono. That boy Edge can sing better than Bono at times...

Larry'd have to sing backup though... that would be interesting.

If they were calling it U2, it would be wrong. Otherwise, if it was a side project with a different name it actually would be kind of interesting I think. Thats kind of how I view the INXS situation. Its the fact that they are keeping the name. What was even more disturbing was the last lead singer they had. Looked, sounded and moved just like Michael. That was even more disturbing to me personally.

Last edited:
:yes: there's a difference between journey going out and getting a steve perry clone (the guy's name is steve!) because steve perry isn't dead. he had health problems which prevented him from touring (i'm a behind the music junkie). michael hutchence is dead, and i think they'd still be making music if he was still alive. if i were to see the new inxs after all this is done, i wouldn't want to see michael part two up there singing. it would be creepy, disturbing, and sad.

The Grateful Dead still tour under a slightly different name, since the passing of Jerry. For awhile they were "The Other Ones", now they're "The Dead", but even they know after all these years, and after other band members have died -- Pigpen, Brent Mydland --, that it's just not the Grateful Dead without him, even after so many years together.

I wish INXS took that same lesson to heart.

On the other hand... I wonder why I don't react like this to Brian May and Roger Taylor still going out and calling themselves Queen? For christsake, Freddie was the DEFINITION of frontman....

Maybe it's because they're not recording anything, or really pretending to be anything more than a "tribute band to themselves" as they were when Freddie was at his finest. INXS intends to keep going.....

I was lucky enough to be able to see both the Grateful Dead and INXS in their heydays... not so with Queen... I know how I'd feel about it now tho.

yeah it's weird isn't it? i mean, there's a good and a bad way to go about it i guess. i mean, look at ac/dc. it's another australian band that had a lead singer who died. but they managed to make it work. i'm sure there's some fans who don't even know there was a previous singer! but they didn't go scouting around the globe looking for the next bon scott.

The Doors are still around too. Except they're called Doors of the 21st Century.

They have Ian Astbury as the singer which would be interesting. I actually wouldn't mind seeing that show.

Ian needs to stick to The Cult IMO, they are an underrated band.

Alot of the Doors fans are not happy with the 21st Century Doors. I think Morrison's family tried to sue them actually.

Back
Top Bottom