the tarnishing of INXS - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2005, 09:51 AM   #31
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden
The Grateful Dead still tour under a slightly different name, since the passing of Jerry. For awhile they were "The Other Ones", now they're "The Dead", but even they know after all these years, and after other band members have died -- Pigpen, Brent Mydland --, that it's just not the Grateful Dead without him, even after so many years together.

I wish INXS took that same lesson to heart.

Maybe they should be XS now....

Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tania

Maybe they should be XS now....
How about X2 That would probebly be worse than using the original name!

Old 01-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #33
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
2XS?

eesh.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:54 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden
2XS?

eesh.
I like it!! How about XSIV?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Remember this? Well..

INXS Star Fired, Back to Living in His Car
Old 02-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

the circle is complete
Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:21 PM
INXS tarnished itself when Hutchence decided he couldn't get off by the usual means.

I mean who does he think he is? Dalton?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:21 PM
I read that the other day, but then read yesterday that he hadn't been booted from the band. Or something. It's confusing, but then again, I don't really care that much.

When I read the original article, it's amazing how quickly I went from "wow, poor guy, that's shitty of INXS" to "... oh, so you blew it by being a big ol' cokehead. Shocking, dude."
Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
INXS tarnished itself when Hutchence decided he couldn't get off by the usual means.

I always speculated that he died because he completely misunderstood the instructions in one of those "How to Last Longer During Sex" manuals.

"Apply(ing) firm steady pressure at the base of the head" is a dangerous instruction when misunderstood.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I always speculated that he died because he completely misunderstood the instructions in one of those "How to Last Longer During Sex" manuals.

"Apply(ing) firm steady pressure at the base of the head" is a dangerous instruction when misunderstood.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post

I was talking about the penis, Fitz.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #44
Acrobat

I think INXS should do whatever they want with their band. They are still talented, healthy, and young enough to carry on for years to come. It bothers me (actually very little in the grand scheme things) to think that one person's silly/selfish act (be it auto-erotic asphyxiation or suicide) should determine the remaining decades of viable careers and life for others close to them. This stuff about their "legacy" doesn't mean much to me. Enough with the somber and endless funeral processions around the likes of Michael Hutchence, Kurt Cobain, etc. Life has to go on. People have families to support, etc. They can be great (according to whatever your definition of great may be) or they can sell out (whatever that is), but that is up to them. Michael Hutchence (or his legacy) don't get a vote any more. INXS is playing the best hand they can with the crappy cards that Michael Hutchence dealt them.

I am not saying this just to take a contrary position. It genuinely offends me that one person's selfishness (or whatever you want to call it) should be allowed to control so many other innocent lives. Should STP retire forever in order to protect their "legacy" just because Scott Weiland is such a troubled artiste that he will not stop injecting himself with garbage?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
I think INXS should do whatever they want with their band. They are still talented, healthy, and young enough to carry on for years to come. It bothers me (actually very little in the grand scheme things) to think that one person's silly/selfish act (be it auto-erotic asphyxiation or suicide) should determine the remaining decades of viable careers and life for others close to them. This stuff about their "legacy" doesn't mean much to me. Enough with the somber and endless funeral processions around the likes of Michael Hutchence, Kurt Cobain, etc. Life has to go on. People have families to support, etc. They can be great (according to whatever your definition of great may be) or they can sell out (whatever that is), but that is up to them. Michael Hutchence (or his legacy) don't get a vote any more. INXS is playing the best hand they can with the crappy cards that Michael Hutchence dealt them.

I am not saying this just to take a contrary position. It genuinely offends me that one person's selfishness (or whatever you want to call it) should be allowed to control so many other innocent lives. Should STP retire forever in order to protect their "legacy" just because Scott Weiland is such a troubled artiste that he will not stop injecting himself with garbage?

I understand and can see your point. I had no qualms with them carrying on in some fashion or another, under the moniker INXS is a different question.

My big falling out was how they went about carrying on. It lacked integrity, and that is something that they previously had, even after Hutch's suicide. Going on a contest/reality show and picking the most hackey, Vegas lounge-act, Michael Hutchence wannabe was completely disrespectful to what INXS had been, with or without Michael, up to that point.

And I have to say, no matter how selfish and cowardly Michael's actions were, some things are just indelible: R.E.M. without Bill Berry can still be R.E.M.; R.E.M. without Michael Stipe just wouldn't be R.E.M. Sometimes lead singers completely identify the band and sometimes not. O.M.D. without Andy McClusky probably would've been fine. INXS without Michael Hutchence just isn't INXS.

They could've gone on under a different name, e.g. New Order. Or they could've chosen an appropriate lead singer their own age, with a similar history and experience behind him or her. Instead they chose to pander to the lowest common denominator and do what they did and choose who they did.

That is why they lost all my respect. Not because they chose to carry on.

Tags
inxs