The Strokes Return To The Studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
It's true....

Pitchfork: The Strokes Return to the Studio

The Strokes are back! Kind of! Or on their way to being back, anyway!

The early-decade New York rock kings are already set to headline two festivals this summer-- England's Isle of Wight and Scotland's RockNess. And now Spin points out an update on the band's website. According to the Strokes themselves, they've returned to the studio, where they're working on the long-awaited follow-up to 2006's First Impressions of Earth.

The band is working with producer Joe Chiccarelli (White Stripes, Shins, My Morning Jacket) and mixer Gus Oberg. They also promise to post "video vignettes" from the sessions on their website.​

Eh. Hardly new information. These muhfuckers were in and out of the studio all of last year. Julian, as far back as this time last year, said they had a handful of songs completed. And they spent time last summer in the studio, as well.

It'll be news when a release date/title is announced.

I need to finally listen to First Impressions of Earth. Every time I try, I stop listening to it after I get past the two songs I like.

teehee

May 22nd.

March 22nd.

And I must give my requisite FUCK YES!

Maybe once the title is announced, we can get a mod to change this thread title? Or we could just start a new one?

Nothing against Elvis, but "Strokes return to studio" isn't as exciting as "Strokes new album is here and it is called ______!"

It seems to me to be a very short time span in between the announcement of the release date and the actual release date. Traditionally (unless it's one of those Radiohead/Raconteurs "It'll be here in a week!" kinda things) there is more time between the album announcement and its actual release. In other words: awesome. We don't have to wait all that long.

And, also, this probably means we'll be hearing a lead track/lead single kinda thing within a couple weeks, at most. Because lead singles tend to be put out there well in advance of the album release, as well. March 22 ain't that far away. At all. Not to mention the sort of atypical factor of knowing the release date but not knowing the album title or artwork. More often than not, those are all announced simultaneously.

I don't really know what I'm getting at. Just that this seems to be an unusual bit of marketing.

I will be watching this very closely, because this is just the beginning of what will probably be a very Strokes-heavy few months of news. Exciting shit.

Also, the countless people that just knew this band would break up and never release another record after FIOE can suck it.

I haven't liked any of their music since Is This It, but I'm still pumped for this. Always nice to have these trashy bastards around, and I thought that Julian Casablancas solo joint was interesting. Not sure how much of that will be incorporated in, but it seems to be a natural progression for their sound.

LeMeL is not the first I've heard say that, but it still always surprises me to hear it.

I always get the songs from the first two albums mixed up. Like which was on which. Because I used to listen to both back to back so often.

I love the smugness of their first two albums. Can't say I care much about First Impressions apart from a few songs (I think at one point Razorblade was one of my top iTunes songs, but it quickly vanished from my memory).

The mere fact that this will apparently only have 10 tracks leads me to speculate that it will be a shift away from the sort of bombastic and scatterbrained First Impressions, and back to the tighter, more punchy sound of the first two. Pure speculation, of course.

I love, love, love First Impressions, though. Don't get me wrong. Fantastic shit, and it dominated my life and my speakers for months when it first came out. But it doesn't exactly hold up to the first two.

I will say, I've never thought of labeling music as "smug." I think I like it, and I think it's apt in this case. Well done.

Yeah, that's also what I'm hope for. I would like to see them take some type of new direction while keeping with the ultra-confident and punchy style of the first album.

By the way, what do you guys think of their duet with Regina Spektor (Modern Girls and Old-Fashioned Men)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_B7HRznBA

Oh God, yes. Brilliant duet. Their voices sound great together. Have loved it for years.

Spektor's part is a hell of a lot of fun to sing along to, if the feeling ever strikes you. Alcohol might have to be involved, though.

Alcohol might have to be involved, though.

I never managed to memorize the lyrics for this song but this should help.

Have you seen Somewhere, GAF? There a nice little scene with I'll Try Anything Once in the soundtrack that is just perfect. You'll love it.

I have not seen it. I really want to, though. I'll get around to it sometime soon. Lost In Translation is one of my favorite movies ever, so as long as she continues making films, I will always be excited for them. She earned herself a lifelong fan with that one.

She must be a big fan because there is a Strokes song on the Marie Antoinette soundtrack. Or at least a Strokes song was used in the promotion for it? I don't remember.

EDIT: Yeah, it was "What Ever Happened?" I knew that, and am ashamed that I forgot for a moment.

Pitchfork: The Strokes Reveal More Album Details

The album is tentatively titled Angles, and the first single from the ten-song LP will most likely be "Undercover of Darkness".

Strokes guitarist Albert Hammond Jr. tells Rolling Stone that the album title represents "what the record sounds like. It comes from five different people," meaning that all of the members of the band contributed to the songwriting process. Other song titles mentioned include "Life Is Simple", "Taken for a Fool", "Call Me Back", "Radio Minor Madness", and "Machu Picchu", which Rolling Stone describes as "a rough wall of jangle over a hip-hop grind, as if the Strokes are cutting a Jay-Z track via the Rolling Stones' Aftermath."

The majority of the album was recorded at Hammond's studio in upstate New York, following scrapped sessions with producer Joe Chiccarelli (White Stripes, the Shins). "Life Is Simple" is the sole surviving song from the Chiccarelli sessions.

The band has plans to tour later this year, but Hammond emphasizes to Rolling Stone that "we want to come back strong but slowly, so we can grow live and also make new music. We want to release albums quicker."

I've only ever heard Is This It but I think I'm gonna check out this new album.

a facebook occurence yesterday:

Braedon: "Trying Your Luck" (youtube link) - still my favourite Strokes song. ♥
Me: New album out in March.
Braedon: WHAT?!@?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?
Me: March 22 how have you not heard haha
Braedon: HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!
Me: I'll be expecting a thank you card in the mail pronto
Braedon: oh trust me, your gonna get more than a card big fella ^_^
Me: haha ♥

i made his day :)

Just got an email today from New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival listing the music lineup, including...

the Strokes. Let the tour schedule begin taking shape, preferably adding Beale St. Music Fest the same weekend. :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom