The Strokes Return To The Studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if peterrrr ever looks in this thread
Julian Hits a High C in this album in open voice in games ... so mindblowing
his voice has improved technically so much!
although its changed a lot in terms of style compared to room on fire, is this it
this album is getting better each lesson

So much for that "masterpiece" that people seem to be talking about.

They came off like such idiots in that long Pitchfork article/interview, I'm not surprised it got a lukewarm review.

But Popmatters can't?

Allmusic gave it a half star better than First Impressions of Earth, which is the best score I've seen for the album so far. (3 1/2 stars).

Sorry I just don't care about reviews much anymore. (That low review from Pitchfork for one of U2's best albums sent a signal). If I like something I just go for it. I even liked a good half of "First Impressions". I remember going to buy the album and having some retail employee begging me to not buy it. I just told him: "Are you telling me that there aren't 4 or 5 good songs on it?" Then he shut up and I bought it. The snobbery is getting tiresome for some people. :yawn:

Just saw the Pitchfork score...ouch. (Interestingly, they gave the exact same score to FIOE.)

I've loved what I've heard so far, though, so I'm still excited. :D

Yeah, I wouldn't get too upset or worried about it. Reviews are part of the entertainment industry. If you are already a fan of the group, chances are you're still going to like the album. I have it preordered, and am still excited to hear it, universally mediocre reviews aside.

This is one of the worst reviews I've read so far, not necessarily because I disagree (the album is kind of a mess), but because...what the hell is he talking about, honestly:

The Strokes - Angles | Music Review | Tiny Mix Tapes

There’s perhaps nothing more satisfying than being let down by your musical heroes, and The Strokes have turned it into an ethos. They’ve coated their lameness in a gloss of careless cool — reflector shades, leather jackets, skuzzy afros, loud guitars: fetishes all, both distracting and empty. Their acclaimed lo-fi sound encapsulates all the charm of failure. Nothing speaks to the hipster’s heart like tape hiss; it’s like a lame lover’s last whisper, “Boy, you nearly missed out on something truly lame.”

Gave it a first listen this afternoon, I really dug the first few tracks, the middle lost my attention, and it regained it's footing for the last couple tracks. I'll have to revisit it again later.

Eh ... GAF's gonna hate me but I'm not digging it too much. I liked the first two but after that it kind of lost me. The penultimate track was pretty terrible.

As long as I avoid the phrases "glorified spit-balling session," "scatter-shot diversity," and "lurching fragmentation," I think I'm alright.

This is one of the worst reviews I've read so far, not necessarily because I disagree (the album is kind of a mess), but because...what the hell is he talking about, honestly:

The Strokes - Angles | Music Review | Tiny Mix Tapes
:lol:
This is amazing. I'm especially loving the oh-so-trendy Ark Music Factory reference. Also, this quote:
Some Guy Who Really said:
Listening to Julian Casablancas is like standing in front of the Mona Lisa or the Sears Tower — you want to reach out and touch it, but you’re afraid it will only recede into the distance. It’s a pleasure, to be sure, but also a painful obsession.
[...]
This voice fades away before it hits its mark, and so you're left stumbling along after it, listening too eagerly, too desperately, hitting repeat in order to miss it all over again. That makes it more like a fetish, I guess, in the Freudian sense — both powerful and empty. If I could, I’d wear Casablancas’ voice around my neck — on a leather string — to ward off the bad hipster spirits, even though I know it would only let me down.
...What? No, seriously, what?

i'm really loving "Games".

old-gregg.jpg

Love Games?

You're So Right is the worst Strokes song ever. Gratisfaction is a keeper though.

I really like the first song. That's all I've heard though, other than the single.

Tinymixtape's reviews are always hit and miss for me. They've always had the tendency to out-hipster Pitchfork from time to time. Then other times their reviews read like something on Allmusic, where it's just an average run of the mill normal music fan writing it. Depends on the reviewer, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom