The Strokes Return To The Studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're going to be the musical guest on SNL on March 5th.

And Miley Cyrus is hosting.

So, basically my dream episode of SNL.

They're playing Madison Square Garden April 1st: The Strokes confirm April 1st Madison Square Garden show

I'd SO be there, BUT like with LCD Soundsystem the following night - I AM OUT OF FRIGGIN' TOWN. :angry:
(seeing U2 in Argentina, but nevertheless...do I need to fax these bands my travel schedule??)

Guess I will have to make a wee road trip when they hit Philly or Boston or somewhere nearby... :madspit:

Basing it off of one listen, but, First Impressions of Earth > Is This It, which is not to say I dislike either album. I'm VERY excited for the new one.

Glad you liked FIOE. :up:

I think the B-side to "Under Cover of Darkness" is supposed to be out there at some point this week. I will double check and report back.

Oh, man. The new song "You're So Right" is not doing much for me at all. It sounds so very similar at times to "River of Brakelights" off of Jules' solo album, and is nothing really close to resembling the music from this band that I've fallen in love with. There's some pretty cool guitar work, but the vocal melody hasn't grabbed me yet, and on the whole it's unmemorable.

Bummer.

I mean, the band's first album in five years, only 10 tracks, and one of the ten tracks sounds so similar in rhythm and delivery to a song that we just heard on one of the band member's solo albums? I gotta say, that's a bit weak. Oh well. Still super pumped for the album. I doubt that the rest of the tracks will be in this same vein.

Anyway, here's a link to the song. And a cute video of the band doing cute stuff in the studio during the recording of this album:

@1019RXP #TheStrokes
YouTube - The Strokes- Making Of Angles: EP 2

digging the new sound from the 30 second clips sounds a lot different to FIPOE

your so right does sound pretty similar to river of brakelights though

SNL tonight, my dear friends.

They'll play Under Cover of Darkness, of course, and that'll be tight, but I'm really excited to hear the second song. I hope it rocks.

Just saw them play UCOD...as awesome as I was expecting. Maybe they'll do something from Is This It for the second song?

O.M.F.G.

Julian said "fuck" on TV and totally got away with it! America!

Man, they destroyed that shit. No nonsense. One could tell that he was really starting to get into the song, oh, right around the first chorus. He was really roughing out the lyrics, almost growling. He wanted it. Way different delivery than on the studio cut. And then he let the F-bomb drop. That shit was so cool. Sort of restored my faith in humanity, and in rock and roll. I downed my red plastic cup of wine and we went to the bar. Every once in a while, I'm reminded why he's probably in my top 3 rock/roll frontmen ever. God damn. Cute little smile there between Albert and Nikolai about halfway through, where it seemed like they were looking at eachother and saying "Yeah, our frontman is crazy, we are back and we are a damn good band."

And Valensi's solo on "Life is Simple in the Moonlight!"

Good lord. I have seen the future of rock and roll, and its name is Bruce Springsteen.

I was attempting to use kinder words for the second song, rather than "hate" and "crap".

It's "actually" pretty good?

You say that like it's surprising.

Of course this shit is good.

I'll be downloading later tonight.

It's "actually" pretty good?

You say that like it's surprising.

Of course this shit is good.

I'll be downloading later tonight.

i've never been huge into The Strokes. in fact, i'm in the minority that thinks First Impressions was their best album. this new album is the first of theirs to hit me right away.

Yay, a leak!
I'm not going to be able to listen to it for two weeks because I want to have something to listen to on an upcoming plane ride. It's going to be a long two weeks.

very good album!

tracks that stand out for me are -
two kinds of happiness
taken for a fool
call me back
gratisfaction
life is simple

they did a better job at searching for new sounds than on FIPOE
it has been a long long wait:heart:

Back
Top Bottom