The Strokes Return To The Studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like some other folks have heard Under Cover Of Darkness as well:
The Strokes Sound Nostalgic for Themselves on Their New Single -- Vulture
Vulture said:
So what’s pretty cool about "Under Cover of Darkness" is that it’s both "complicated" and totally simple, playful, and loose. Most of it boogies and skips sunnily along, as if someone might start whistling at any moment — exactly the kind of shaggy, careless appeal the band’s always been best at. (It'll sound great on an album people will be listening to in spring.) It's also got a bunch of funny dueling guitar leads, big changes, thought-out structures, and that wonderful trick where what you think is a decent chorus is just the lead-in to a great one — but in this case, instead of sounding like the band is trying too hard, it sounds like they’re just having fun. (One of the guitar bends in the intro seems intentionally, heroically goofy; same with a hilarious falsetto chirp later on.) They’ve finally found a way to try interesting things and still seem rakish, sly, and unconcerned about it.
O, mighty and terrible Leak Gods, have mercy upon us in our time of need. :pray:

Sort-of-cool new promo poster:
The-Strokes-Album-Promo-Poster.png

No cover art yet, but at least it's something.

I wonder if someone in the new Transformers movie will wear a Strokes shirt to coincide with the new album!!!!!!

:hyper:

:|

I like that to two comments on Amazon are "OMG SO GOOD!" and "finally!"

Me likey. Very fun, and the guitar tone reminds me of the Is This It days. Faaaaaaaaaaar better lead single than Juicebox.

Casablancas still looks like the biggest douche of all time in that promo pic. He should learn from Bono's mistakes. Boners, if you will.

I like it a lot, don't think I'm in love with it yet. After just a couple listens.

The guitars kick for sure.

It definitely does return us to the Is This It tradition of not having any fucking clue what Julian is saying. I can make out a disappointingly small amount of the lyrics.

Good start, though. Can't wait to hear the rest. Luckily, it's not a very long wait at all.

Me likey. Very fun, and the guitar tone reminds me of the Is This It days. Faaaaaaaaaaar better lead single than Juicebox.

Casablancas still looks like the biggest douche of all time in that promo pic. He should learn from Bono's mistakes. Boners, if you will.

:| dont think it beats juicebox

its quite fun though

Yeah, I vastly prefer Juicebox as a lead single as well, but like this. I'm sure some may find it a bit too "trying to sound like the first album-y".

Well it sounds exactly like I expect The Strokes to sound like: fun and catchy.

While I agree with the people who say Juicebox was a better lead single (and so was Last Nite), it's a solid song. I'm really looking forward to the album!

Nevermind my other message, I submitted another e-mail address and got a working link. Song is good and quite catchy, I like it. Can't wait for them to actually do a (public) show here in their hometown, just better not be when I'm out of town.

:| dont think it beats juicebox

its quite fun though

Yeah, I vastly prefer Juicebox as a lead single as well, but like this. I'm sure some may find it a bit too "trying to sound like the first album-y".

Well, I think Juicebox is a trainwreck with no melody and retarded lyrics, so I had to throw a few extra a's in "far." That's no insult to the new song though, I love it.

Not sure how it could be called a conscious throwback to the debut, considering the first two albums sound basically the same. The guitar tone reminds me of Last Nite though.

Back
Top Bottom