The Strokes Return To The Studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to hear a song from this album more than I want a beautiful wife, children, 75 million dollars, and White Sox season tickets.

C'mon guys. Give us the lead single real quick.

I'd take the 75 million dollars, personally. Regardless, lead singles are always nice.

I had a thought this morning, Is This It (the song) is probably my least favorite of their album openers. What say you to that?

I also listened to New York City Cops this morning and remembered how it was removed from the US release because of 9/11 and how weird it is to think of how taboo certain songs and movies became at the time. Anyways, I like that song a lot, it's fun.

I want to hear a song from this album more than I want a beautiful wife, children, 75 million dollars, and White Sox season tickets.
While I think I'd choose the latter, I definitely share your excitement. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

I also listened to New York City Cops this morning and remembered how it was removed from the US release because of 9/11 and how weird it is to think of how taboo certain songs and movies became at the time. Anyways, I like that song a lot, it's fun.
It's on the US vinyl version. :evil:

I'd take the 75 million dollars, personally. Regardless, lead singles are always nice.

I had a thought this morning, Is This It (the song) is probably my least favorite of their album openers. What say you to that?

It's a good question, all of the album openers are great. I really love all three, but I'd probably rank:

1. What Ever Happened?
2. Is This It
3. You Only Live Once

New York City Cops is one of their best songs, surely. And it was a highlight both times I've seen them. Interestingly, the first time I saw them they played it as the second to last song of the night, and when I saw them last summer they opened with it.

facebook-like-thumb-up2.jpg

hey GAF did you see that gossip girl clip with albert hammond jr in it?
he was bald :ohmy: as in balding
but i suspect it wasnt him

i wanna see the REAL album artwork

didn't jimmy eat world change their album from "bleed american" to either the middle or made it a self-titled for that reason?

nevermind, allmusic is implying i must have imagined that.

1. Machu Picchu
2. Under Cover of Darkness
3. Two Kinds of Happiness
4. You're So Right
5. Taken for a Fool
6. Games
7. Call Me Back
8. Gratisfaction
9. Metabolism
10. Life Is Simple in the Moonlight

Machu Picchu is a great name for a rock song, and I'm especially happy that it's the opening track.

I guarantee that song kicks ass.

didn't jimmy eat world change their album from "bleed american" to either the middle or made it a self-titled for that reason?

nevermind, allmusic is implying i must have imagined that.

I think their label did, yes. Why, I don't know. You think "Bleed American" sounds fairly patriotic, but whatever. It wasn't, "Bleed, American".

I think their label did, yes. Why, I don't know. You think "Bleed American" sounds fairly patriotic, but whatever. It wasn't, "Bleed, American".

yeah, and that kind of irritated me at the time because it did sound the opposite of offensive as far as i was concerned.

so maybe it just got changed back a few years later. when i took a look at their discography on allmusic, it had it back at the original title and i didn't see any mention of it ever being changed so i figured maybe that never happened. but i also figured you, if anyone, would know.

now that i've derailed this thread, you may have it back. i listened to "new york city cops." decent song.

yeah, and that kind of irritated me at the time because it did sound the opposite of offensive as far as i was concerned.

so maybe it just got changed back a few years later. when i took a look at their discography on allmusic, it had it back at the original title and i didn't see any mention of it ever being changed so i figured maybe that never happened. but i also figured you, if anyone, would know.

Wikipedia:

Bleed American is the fourth studio album by American alternative rock band Jimmy Eat World. The album was released on July 18, 2001, and became self-titled (Jimmy Eat World) following the September 11 attacks, before reverting to its original name for a deluxe edition released in 2008.

Friggin' BoMac.

ah, wiki...i still refuse to use that when i can allmusic.com things. :grumpy:

Judging songs based on song titles only is veering dangerously close to EYKIW territory.
Well, considering EYKIW doesn't even have song titles, this subforum might as well pick up the slack...

Two Kinds Of Happiness, Gratisfaction, and Life Is Simple In The Moonlight are all great titles, IMHO.

Seriously, I like the song titles, but will reserve judgment after actually listening to them. Judging songs based on song titles only is veering dangerously close to EYKIW territory.

Moment of Surrender "eight-minute epic" = Mercy?!?!?!?!?!?!??!11!?!>!?>!?!?!? :hyper:

Good shit. It would be up there for me as well. Great song.

Now you might as well listen to First Impressions of Earth. Hell, you may love it. I certainly do.

As you can tell, I'm a fanboy for these guys. I've liked pretty much everything they've ever done. But there really is some great stuff on First Impressions. I could go on and on but I'll just leave it at that.

I'm planning on giving that a try too. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy but I do like everything I've heard so far.

And the lead single gets 4 stars from Rolling Stone.

Under Cover of Darkness by The Strokes | Rolling Stone Music | Album Reviews

The lead single from the first new Strokes record in five years barrels into the bar with "Return to Form" written on its forehead. "Under Cover of Darkness" (set to be released February 9th on the band's website) takes the basic elements of their sound, breaks it down, builds it back up and expands it: the skinny-tie boogie bounce of "Last Nite," wave after wave of cute and sharp interlocking guitar, and a grand, gaping chorus where Julian Casablancas torments his vowels like he's got them trapped in his secret basement laboratory. The band members even throw in tricky tempo changes and a weird, slow breakdown just to show us they've been woodshedding. "I've been all around this town/Everybody's been singing the same song for 10 years," Casablancas observes. So the Strokes give us that same old song one more time, primed and polished for a new age.

For real. It says the single is released February 9th. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling we'll hear it before then.

With reviews of it out already and such, I'm not sure if it can make it another two weeks before it reaches the public. I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom