The Strokes Return To The Studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guitar solo is dope. Chorus sounds something like:

"You're living it up (or maybe living a lie?)
You're living it up
You're living too fast
You gotta break from the past? (or maybe you gotta pray for the best?)
You never ask why
You never ask why
You're living it up
Maybe you're flying too high"

I don't know. It's totally infectious, though. I've listened to it about four times already.

I like the single but I think One Way Trigger is better. Don't understand the hate. It's catchy as hell.

Damn, I can't stop listening to One Way Trigger. I want to here that chorus again and again (and again and again).

I've loved it for so long, and maybe overplayed it at one point, so I kinda sorta forgot about the song that these dudes did with Regina Spektor. Modern Girls and Old Fashioned Men. Fucking brilliant. The vocals from both are so great and, actually, the tone of Julian's voice in the delivery of the verses of the song is one of my favorite things he's ever done. It's a tone he used to use frequently, but not so much anymore, and it's just so god damned cool.

I'm going to give The Strokes another shot. I've been dismissive of them for far too long.

One Way Trigger is an abomination but in general this is a good album, better than Angles. I like the slow ones the best.

Fuck yes.

Just had myself a waaaaaaay better first-listen experience than I did with Angles. Loving it. It's even more out there than Angles, when compared to their earlier material. A lot of this shit sounds so much different than anything they've done. Favorites on first listen:

- Tap Out - The instrumental intro, the first 30 seconds or so, is brilliant and sets the tone so well. I had a huge smile on my face. Rest of the song delivers, too. Dat solo.
- One Way Trigger
- Welcome To Japan - I want to be best friends with this chorus. Funny lyrics, too. So sick.
- 80s Comedown Machine - Those Beatlesy moments in the chorus. This song feels like it could fit on fucking OK Computer. Gorgeous.
- 50/50 - Julian gets rugged, and those guitar lines rule so hard. Rawwwwwk.
- Chances - Chorus felt very big on first listen. Excited to let this one sink in.

Least favorite was probably Slow Animals.

Glad to hear the positive comments. Despite liking Angles the year it came out, I haven't gone back to anything on it since. I honestly wasn't even going to pick this album up, because I wasn't very excited by the first track that was released. Sounds like I need to change that plan.

I liked parts of Angles a whole lot, but it felt pretty uneven as a whole. I liken how I feel about it probably similarly to how people feel about The Flaming Lips' At War With The Mystics: would've made a great EP with some decent B-Sides to future singles.

Yeah, there are something like three completely worthless songs on Angles.

When you have a ten track album...that ain't good. It just left me a bit wanting.

My second listen to Comedown Machine won't be until I can hold the physical copy in my hand and slide it into my car's CD player. Excited for next Tuesday.

I'd also really like to see these guys LIVE again. The show I saw on the First Impressions tour was tight as hell, and they owned Lolla a couple years back. So much fun.

But I'm reading that they aren't even planning on really touring this album. I don't know.

Great album. Might actually be their best since Is This It. Room on Fire is great too of course.

What kind of asshole drives a Lotus. :lol:

Saw these guys in 2004 and 2006. Both were incredible. They really were THE BAND of the early/mid 00s. Angles didn't really have a tour supporting it, just a bunch of festivals and one off club shows.

So far have only heard One Way Trigger, so I'm good to go for next week!

This may actually be my favorite album so far this year. Tracks 5-10 really make the album special.

This album has a high replay value. It's easy to listen to and always rewarding. Really happy with this release.

All the Time is my least favorite which says a lot because that's an ok Strokes song, just a bit by the numbers. The past two albums had a few awful songs each.

Really loving this album; been on pretty much constant rotation since it was released last month. I usually don't like 80's synthy influenced music, but this totally sucked me in. Best album that the Strokes have released since Room On Fire and sounds great as an album played from beginning to end. First Impressions of Earth and Angles had some amazing songs, but there was some pretty aweful filler on each of those albums as well.

Personal highlights:

Welcome to Japan: Love the funky music and the lyrics--the song goes to a whole different level from the bridge through the end of the song.

50/50: A throwback--dirty distorted vocals with a rocking song that wouldn't sound out of place on Is This It. Great stuff.

Call It Fate, Call It Karma: Unlike anything I've ever heard from The Strokes...I love the dreamy, smoothe feel of the song.

One Way Trigger: I hated the song when I first heard it..it's grown on me in a big way.

When it comes down to it, it's just a really solid album from start to finished. Personal favorite album of the year so far.

How are you feeling about the album, GAF?

One Way Trigger is one of the worst songs of the year but otherwise this is a good album. I love the ballads.

LM, I think our musical tastes are diverging further by the day. I love One Way Trigger - it's quite possibly my favorite on the album.

LM, I think our musical tastes are diverging further by the day. I love One Way Trigger - it's quite possibly my favorite on the album.

It was one of those situations where I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "This is the Strokes? And they really thought this was a good idea?" But I'm glad I gave the album a chance.

Back
Top Bottom