The Stone Roses Reunite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're playing a free show with a short set tonight in Warrington for 1000 people. First concert with the classic line-up in 22 years.

I'm seeing them at Pukkelpop. Is their second album worth checking out?

Yes. It was vilified somewhat unjustly by the press, since the expectations were so high after the spectacular debut. It is a different album, Squire's guitar playing is much more aggressive and in the forefront, very much influenced by Led Zeppelin. It is uneven for sure and the flow is all over the place, but there are some great songs on it that should be heard.

Agreed, it's not nearly as bad as it's been made out to be. That said, there are only 2 or 3 songs from it I ever find myself coming back to on a regular basis.

Tightrope was the biggest surprise of the night, I love that song. I hope more from Second Coming gets into the set (sans Ten Storey Love Song, such a bland, boring number).

Going on a musical journey tonight, courtesy of a note I wrote myself years ago...

I think it must have been 2005 when I saw an Ian Brown video on that MTV show Subterranean and wrote myself a note to look into his music further. I just recently found that note and looked up the song. Right now I'm listening to his album Solarized, and it's really hitting the spot for a Friday night.

I've never listened to the Stone Roses. Guessing that needs to change soon. :hmm:

Don't forget Turns Into Stone. One of the best non-album/b-side compilations out there.

^They have this on Spotify. I'll definitely check it out. I listened to their debut this morning and was impressed. It left me thinking that 90s Britpop never would have happened in the way it did without these guys.

New single coming out today, 8pm British time. First new song since 1995.

It is very likely that this is preceding a new album.

Feels like they've been talking about a new album for a few years already. Good to see it's looking like a possibility now.

This song... isn't that good, eh?

I don't think I ever want to hear the song. I want to go on imagining base on your reactions.

Not to be a dick, but was anyone expecting it to be MBV-comeback level good? I wasn't expecting anything more than what we got, for better or worse.

Not to be a dick, but was anyone expecting it to be MBV-comeback level good? I wasn't expecting anything more than what we got, for better or worse.

I understand, but I was at least expecting it to be better than bloody Beady Eye.

The second Beady Eye record was good, but this Stone Roses song would be a middling track on their shitty first record.

Pretty ordinary, but didn't have high expectations. I'm a sucker for Brown's breathy manc vocal, so it's fun on that level.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Back
Top Bottom