The Stone Roses Reunite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's kind of a myth that The Stone Roses were generally bad live. They were quite bad about 40% of the time (mainly due to Brown's vocals, but also some shambolic instrumental work at times), but were average about 40% of the time, and were utterly brilliant about 20% of the time. They key, then, is listening to shows that were brilliant, not bad. Unfortunately, most of the more famous bootlegged shows feature them at their worst (Alexandra Palace, Spike Island, European Tour '95, etc.).

If anyone is interested in downloading good Stone Roses shows, let me know...

I have listened to about a dozen Stone Roses bootlegs from all eras. The only one where Ian does not sound like shit and where the whole thing actually sounds good was the famous Glasgow Green gig, average sound notwithstanding.

Out of all of my favourite bands, they are by far the shittiest live, due to reasons already mentioned. I do have hopes for the reunion gigs because there were some bands (Faith No More as one example) that were playing much better after they've reunited. So I'll keep my thumbs crossed.

Great news. It's amazing the level of interest the Stone Roses are generating considering the debut album had sold a mere 800k units a decade after its release.

Saw Ian Brown play a couple years ago at Newcastle. Never again.
Yes, my summation of his solo career is as follows:
Recordings = Great
Live = Unbelievably awful

If you can believe it, there are followers of Brown who claim that his solo gigs are fantastic, and that he always sounds good. There are likewise Bob Dylan fans who think he sings better now than he did in 1965 (I think Bono said this too).

Djerdap: well, I did say that 40% of Stone Roses' shows were terrible -- that's a pretty high percentage. But I maintain that a fair percentage of them are fantastic. By the way, do you think you could be a wee bit more dismissive in your posts? ;)

I have the sense that Reni (drummer) and Brown (singer) have long had issues with each other. It's Ian Brown who effectively fired Reni from the Roses back in March 1995 after a major argument, and Reni did Roses' backing vocals and apparently complained (too) loudly that he was a better singer than Brown. My feeling is that Reni will elevate Ian's performance level by pushing his buttons again. We shall see.

But I maintain that a fair percentage of them are fantastic. By the way, do you think you could be a wee bit more dismissive in your posts? ;)

And these fantastic shows are...? Not to be dismissive or anything.

Reni is rock's greatest living drummer as far as I am concerned.

Larry Mullen is a very good drummer, Phil Collins is excellent.

Reni is on a different level.

And these fantastic shows are...? Not to be dismissive or anything.
Not dismissive, but you are being sarcastic. And I said that if anyone wanted them, I'd post... So far, no one asked.

Brunel University, Uxbridge (April 1989): MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Shrewsbury Park Lane (soundcheck + gig, April 1989): 1989.05.25 Shrewsbury Park Lane (plus Soundcheck).zip

Sheffield University (May 1989): http://rapidshare.com/files/409362939/s ... ni_7.5.zip

Here's a unique boot of the Roses rehearsing before a gig on June 8th, 1989 in Lancaster: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Cologne, Germany (Oct.1989): Etched In Stone - Luxor Club Germany 4 -10-89.zip

Copenhagen (May 1990): http://rapidshare.com/files/101648707/T ... 5.1990.rar

You already have Glasgow Green (June 1990), but for those who don't, it really should be heard: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

"In The Studio Vol. 1" (1993-1994 studio demos, rehearsals): in the studio vol 1.rar

San Francisco Fillmore, May 1995: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Manchester Apollo (Dec. 22, 1995): MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Sheffield Arena (Dec. 1995): MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

These are all stellar performances, and Brown's voice is good to excellent at all. The audio quality, however, is not good for most of these shows, with Lancaster, Cologne, Copenhagen, Glasgow, and of course "In The Studio" being the best.

Personally, I think the first one at Brunel University is the best performance I've heard in my life from a 3-piece band plus singer combo!

(Note that the last 3 shows, all in 1995, do not feature Reni on drums.)

n735200195_900359_7124.jpg

NOTE: Nuts! I just realized that the frickin' Rapidshare links don't work... let me try to fix those...

On a personal note, I met John Squire one night in Montreal in 1997. I got to sit with him for an hour or so and have a beer. Sweet, if quiet, guy!

The Panther said:
On a personal note, I met John Squire one night in Montreal in 1997. I got to sit with him for an hour or so and have a beer. Sweet, if quiet, guy!

Lucky Numbers!

Squire has always struck me as very quiet and reserved.

Yes, Reni has always been on a different 'taste'-level from the others. Apparently, his favorite band is Deep Purple, and his favorite record in the 80s was "Jump" by Van Halen...

That's amazing.... him, Edge and Noel are my holy trinity of guitar excellence. Tell us more, please!

Bumping this thread because now I've got tix for all three MCR shows (Fri/Sat VIP and Sun GA) as well as the Dublin show (GA).

We were going over anyway this year and originally going in April, but changed our trip for the Roses. All the way from Western Canada for these ones.

Anyone else going to any of these?

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing who the support acts are. The Inspirals, Happy Mondays, Noel, Liam, Kasabian - I can't WAIT to find out who it will be!!!!!!!!!

The fact that he was asked about U2 doesnt change my mind,he is still a cock. Takes every chance to slag off U2 and acts like he's music's saviour.

In my humble opinion of course!

Many of us in this very section of the forum also take every chance we can get to "slag off U2" as well these days. Not really that big of a deal.

Many of us in this very section of the forum also take every chance we can get to "slag off U2" as well these days. Not really that big of a deal.

Yeah i suppose,but i have a guy in work in my ear all the time slagging U2 all the time. And his hero is ian brown,so i get him and all his ''funny'' quotes about U2 all the time.

Yeah i suppose,but i have a guy in work in my ear all the time slagging U2 all the time. And his hero is ian brown,so i get him and all his ''funny'' quotes about U2 all the time.

That would definitely be annoying. Despite the idiotic crap both of their frontmen say, I still love both U2 and the Stone Roses. :wink:

Now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head until I can listen to it. :wink:

I think I listened to it about 60 seconds after posting that. Couldn't wait, haha.

Back
Top Bottom