The Shins...new album and general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I only saw one thread for them, and it was over a year old and is long gone, so I figured a new one was in order.

I love their last two albums, both very special, touching recordings. The second album, Chutes To Narrow, rocked a bit more than their first, which helped expand the band's palette a bit, but I hope their new record (scheduled for October) outshines them both.

Anyone else here like them?

I, and everyone else in the old thread, like them.

I'm doubting the new album will come out this year.

EDIT: There are numerous old threads on them not in the band index which are much larger and contain a great deal of discussion.

Last edited:
I am eagerly awaiting a new album

I am a bit back into a Shins period and I like it :D

Salome said:

I am a bit back into a Shins period and I like it :D

Same here. I listened to them so much for a couple years that I haven't been able to for the last few at all.

Listened to one of their songs the other day and it sounded great, have listened to most of both albums here and there over the last week or so. Sounding good again.

I still haven't forgiven them for never playing their homestate that I happen to live in but I still love the music. In fact, I always have to include a little Shins on every mix.

u2popmofo said:

I'm doubting the new album will come out this year.

I am a fortune teller and prophet.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/37795/Shins_Album_Pushed_to_2007

I do like the sound of this though:

"It gives us great pleasure to say that it is just weeks from being done! We can't leak any details, but we have never been more happy with anything that we've ever recorded before. And we can definitely say that it is due to the fact that we've been given so much time to perfect it. The record is the best we've ever done. We hope that you will agree."

I'm a big fan of Chutes Too Narrow and Oh, Inverted World is also pretty good. Can't wait to hear this new album.

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003052641

The album's called Wincing the Night Away, and will be completely finished in the next few weeks. Expect ten songs and "one short introduction."

James Mercer talked it up to to Billboard backstage at last night's McCarren Pool.

Mercer is particularly enthused about the song "Phantom Limb," which he says was inspired from a production standpoint by early Jesus & Mary Chain albums. "The song is a hypothetical, fictional account of a young, lesbian couple in high school dealing with the shitty small town they live in."

Elsewhere, "Red Rabbits" is what Mercer describes as "a strange, psychedelic piano number with this really tweaked out sound," while "Sea Legs" employs a hip-hop beat reminiscent of the Beta Band. "Spelling Lessons," "Spilled Needles" and "A Comet Appears" will also make the final cut.

"I was just talking to some of the people at Sub Pop who were listening to the rough mixes, and they agree with me that we've stretched," Mercer says. "We're trying some different styles."

I also found it interesting that this is their last contracted album with Sub Pop and they're considering putting out records themsevles on the next round (just considering, but it's still cooler than hearing their considering moving to a major not that I'll care if they do).

indietastic :drool:

their cover of We Will Become Silhouettes is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Hootie hoo, the release date has been announced!

According to the band's site (which has been redesigned and now looks awesome):

We are pleased, relieved, shocked, amazed, etc, to announce that the new record has finally been given a confirmed release date. January 23rd, 2007 is the anticipated (at least by us) day in question. Trust us if we had our way it would be out next week, but "The Man" has seen fit to do otherwise. The good folks at Sub Pop have scheduled this like a finely tuned machine, and we have all the confidence in the world that January is the magic month for a reason. We are excited.

You know where I'll be January 23rd. :up:

My guess is they're moving to a major label. I don't really think that will have any negative impact on their music, but I still feel weird about it. They were one of the first "no name" indie bands I even liked, I randomly picked up their debut in 2001. They were pretty much my entire musical world for a few years there (as many people here likely remember), and SubPop was straight up my favorite label for ages as well. Sorta makes me sad to see them have to part I guess, it's too bad some of these labels can't get as big as the artists they help grow. The idea that all labels are bad guys is a bunch of shit in my opinion, it sucks how much they directly get screwed by illegal downloading.

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003052641

I also found it interesting that this is their last contracted album with Sub Pop and they're considering putting out records themselves on the next round (just considering, but it's still cooler than hearing their considering moving to a major not that I'll care if they do).

So I randomly decided to look back through this thread, as I wasn't sure which one it was, as look what I ironically found! I'm really doubting they'll release the next one themselves at this point though. We shall see.

In their defense, a number of them have had kids since the last album......and one of them was in jail.....

Pitchfork posted an update:

UPDATE: Though we initially had information that seemed to indicate that the Shins had completely severed ties with Sub Pop, it now appears that the situation is actually similar to what we reported back in June 2008. Sub Pop clarifies that while the Shins' contract with them has expired, the band is currently on a "writing hiatus" and has not made any definitive plans about the future.

In regards to the jail time....

Shins Star Released From Jail Following Arrest - GIGWISE
SFGate: Daily Dish : Shins Star Crandall Released from Jail

'New Slang' was released as a downloadable song for Rock Band today.

I will dance like the king of the eyesores while performing it, that's a promise.

In even worse news than the move from Sub Pop, 2 of 4 members of The Shins are no longer in the band....

Pitchfork: News

When the Shins took the stage at Western Washington University on Saturday night for the first night of their spring tour, fans discovered that the band had changed. Keyboardist Marty Crandall and drummer Jesse Sandoval had been replaced by Ron Lewis from Grand Archives and Fruit Bats on bass and Joe Plummer of Modest Mouse on drums. Crandall, Sandoval, and Mercer had been playing together since their mid-90s Flake Music days, and Mercer decided it was time for a change. "I started to have production ideas that I wanted to do that basically required some other people," he said. "It's mainly about that. It's an aesthetic decision. It's kind of hard to talk abut stuff like that, isn't it? Because I don't want to bum anybody out. I'm on good terms with those guys, I hope to maintain that."

He added, "I wouldn't say I'd never work with them again. I love working with those guys." (And in case you're wondering, according to Mercer, Crandall's exit from the Shins didn't have anything to do with that domestic abuse drama from early last year.)

To accomplish his new aesthetic goals, Mercer recruited Lewis and Plummer, who are on board for the current tour as well as the next Shins album. That album is still in its very early stages, with Mercer planning to begin recording at the end of the current tour, and continue through the summer. He's aiming for a release early next year.

I'm sorta calling BS on it being an "aesthetic choice" and not being related to the jail time, but what are you going to do. At least if it's people from the Fruit Bats and Modest Mouse, but it still kinda just won't be the same.

At least good news wise, here's info on the album that's being worked on:

Two songs, "Double Bubble" and "The Rifle's Spiral" are being debuted on the road right now, and Mercer said he has 30 songs in the can. But don't expect to hear much moping around on the new album. "It's a lot more up-tempo stuff," he said. "I haven't really got any real ballad-y stuff right now. I've got 30 songs and none of them are real slow. I think maybe, I'm not so melancholy lately. I'm real happy. I've been lucky in love and I've got a wonderful kid now and things have been going well. Some of the songs are sort of aggressive in a new wave way. I'm excited about it."

Mercer thinks that his new material represents some of his best work. "For some reason, it seems like pop writers, it's like they just get worse or something over time. And then you're really jealous of movie directors whose careers seem to grow and they'll be 70 years old and still doing these incredible jobs. I'm going to reverse that, I hope. I think it's just working hard at it and not letting yourself be satisfied with the stuff."

The new album will be released on Mercer's own label, Aural Apothecary, possibly with distribution from a larger label, possibly the Shins' former home, Sub Pop. So why not stick with Sub Pop? Why strike out on your own? "Because you get more money," Mercer stated, matter-of-factly. "I mean, it's more work and it's more headache and all that, but I think it'll be worth it in the end."

Though Mercer hopes to one day release other artists' music on Aural Apothecary, right now, he only has time for his own work. Before the new Shins album, he plans to re-release Flake Music's 1997 album When You Land Here, It's Time to Return, which has been remixed by Danger Mouse's mixing engineer Kennie Takahashi.

The Flake Music album certainly could use some sort of remixing, but that may take away some of its charm as well. We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom