The Shins...new album and general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One is included with the stream. The other was posted on here a while back.

Port of Morrow is not the best music out right now, not at all. At least Dombal didn't write this one.

They enjoyed Broken Bells too, so there's that.

To even things out, Popmatters gave it a 4.

One's too high, one's too low.

agreed. i do like a little more than half the album. unfortunately, it's not going to be the kind of album that i play front to back. it will be the type that i pull 5-6 songs and make a playlist.

This is disappointing. I haven't been following this thread but I just assumed the new record was going to be good, although I wasn't wild about the 2nd song they played on SNL.

So I'll wait for mofo's review before I buy it. I don't think I have a relationship with The Shins where I buy everything even if it's not good, although clearly that hasn't been a problem 'til now.

Dang, that would be cool. I liked the acoustic versions Mercer's been doing of Simple Song. Hopefully the indie store here has it too, I'll buy a second copy just to get the EP. :wink:

From their Facebook page:

"Port Of Morrow" is available everywhere tomorrow! Pick up the new album at your local record store and receive a 4 song live acoustic EP with purchase.
Find a store near you here: RECORD STORE DAY - Venues

On a whim I stopped by Hi-Voltage after work. They occasionally put their new releases out Monday night before they close.

I picked up the vinyl (plus download code) and the EP. They only received 2 copies of the EP.

The tracks are acoustic versions of Simple Song, September, It's Only Life, and Young Pilgrim.

Dang, I'll have to go right away too.

Just downloaded the b-side from iTunes, going to go see if Amazon has one as well.

I just hit the jackpot at my local store this morning:

CD on sale for $10
Free EP
$10 GC for being one of the first ones to get it
Small poster
Sticker

That's probably the best add-on haul I've gotten for buying a CD.

Album and EP acquired. I was also given the newest issue of Magnet magazine, and some terrible Warner Brothers music rock sampler.

I like how I was complaining in the other thread about physical EP's being overpriced, when I just bought a second copy of the album just to get this 4 track acoustic EP. :wink:

It's definitely surprising how terribly written and thought out many official reviews can be, both on music sites and music magazines.

DB, did you ever find out if that one b-side is only available in Europe? I'm really liking Pariah King from iTunes. Sounds a lot better than the stream version as well, which I'm happy about.

Probably will wait until I get home to listen to CD on my nice headphones.

Back
Top Bottom