The Shins...new album and general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have mixed feelings about a new "Shins" release but should be interesting anyway.

I actually am more excited since it sounds like Mercer is writing and performing it all himself now. Supposedly, he more or less did that in the early days as well, so the other members being gone could actually end up being a positive thing in regards to studio material. We'll see.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it'll be pretty decent. Even though Wincing is far and away my least fav of their albums,Ii still like it a great deal and still listen to tracks from it here and there.

I actually am more excited since it sounds like Mercer is writing and performing it all himself now. Supposedly, he more or less did that in the early days as well, so the other members being gone could actually end up being a positive thing in regards to studio material. We'll see.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it'll be pretty decent. Even though Wincing is far and away my least fav of their albums,Ii still like it a great deal and still listen to tracks from it here and there.

see, i'm in that minority group that enjoys Wincing more than their earlier work, not by much though.

It's a good album, and has a number of fantastic songs that rank among their best. That said, I just personally don't find it as consistent overall as the other two. Again though, I love all their stuff, so saying I like one of their albums more or less than another really doesn't mean much. :wink:

see, i'm in that minority group that enjoys Wincing more than their earlier work, not by much though.
3627681312_56f485f4ea_z.jpg

Such a great album, and I'm pretty sure "Australia" is my favorite Shins song ever.

It's a good album, and has a number of fantastic songs that rank among their best. That said, I just personally don't find it as consistent overall as the other two. Again though, I love all their stuff, so saying I like one of their albums more or less than another really doesn't mean much. :wink:

good point there. i wonder what direction they're taking with this one.

Same here.

There's something unique, warm and inviting about Oh, Inverted World. I like all three of their albums, but like with IRS REM vs. Warner Bros. REM, the production makes a difference to me. I find Wincing in particular very generic and slick, and there are a few average songs in the back half. I think the first six tracks are so good though that it might be my second favorite of theirs. Chutes is all-around strong but nothing leaves as strong of an impression on me as Kissing The Lipless, which is my favorite Shins song.

Hopefully this new album lives up to the high standards Mercer has established. I've heard all of their albums a billion times and greatly enjoy each one.

Alright, I really like that song.

It's definitely got energy, a little bounce to it. An instantly likable tune. Good shit.

Same here, I'm going to try to avoid listening to it again until the single is up on iTunes tonight.

I think their comment about the "b-side" was a bit misleading, as it was alluding to preorders of the album on iTunes getting the Simple Song immediately, and a bonus "b-side" track when the album comes out, not a b-side with the single (which makes no sense, as what on earth is it a b-side to?).

my hype for this album is through the roof. i'm going to put all of the Shins albums on repeat for the next couple days. may even listen to the Broken Bells again.

Back
Top Bottom