The Shins...new album and general discussion - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
It's probably my favorite song from Wincing.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #47
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
meh, I like elevated_u2_fan, besides everyone is shortening their usernames lately... LemonMacphisto is just a bunch of letters all of a sudden - scary times we live in

Also, I would also like to submit that Gone For Good is one of their best songs.
The original version (which can legally be found on the So Says I single) is even better in my opinion, but I love both. Man oh man, when they released the tiny little video for that before Chutes Too Narrow had been released, I probably watched/listened to it 200 times.

Sweet, I found that vid on Youtube. YouTube - The Shins - Gone for Good (Acoustic)

Unfortunately I got depressed when I started playing it and realized one one of the two people in it is still in the band....

Seriously though, Red Rabbits just doesn't really go anywhere. Easily one of my least favorite thing they've done as "The Shins", definitely my least favorite album track they've made.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post

Unfortunately I got depressed when I started playing it and realized one one of the two people in it is still in the band....
I'm telling you, Mercer is the new Tweedy. The Shins = The James Mercer Band.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Seriously though, Red Rabbits goes nowhere, is pointless, and doesn't fit on the album at all (or with anything else they've ever done)
I could not disagree more. I'm kind of stunned you don't love it. You will see it my way one day.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #50
Blue Meth Addict

Oh sure, quote me before I edited it 20 seconds later.

Listening to it again now, still don't like it. If it was just Mercer and his guitar part only, I'd probably love it. Can't stand anything else in the song, it's the epitome of what I was talking about "completely losing what you did well" from the first two albums. It's just so obvious all the rest was done in a studio at a different time as James' voice and guitar.

Blah.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #51
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
meh, I like elevated_u2_fan, besides everyone is shortening their usernames lately... LemonMacphisto is just a bunch of letters all of a sudden - scary times we live in

Also, I would also like to submit that Gone For Good is one of their best songs.
To be fair, it was quite the mouthful. I tried to shorten it to YLB, but got shot down by the Siccinator.

Chalk me down as one of the people who loved Wincing the Night Away, and I'm not Canadian.

Seriously, "Sleeping Lessons" is one of the few reasons to own a great set of headphones.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
To be fair, it was quite the mouthful. I tried to shorten it to YLB, but got shot down by the Siccinator.
But now I get you mixed up with someone else. It used to be I only got you mixed up with LemonMelon, but I finally got the Lemons straight and now you go and mess me up again. I'm so confused I can't even remember who I confuse you with now.

I've had the same (dreaded) name and avatar since the earlier part of this century.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Oh sure, quote me before I edited it 20 seconds later.

Listening to it again now, still don't like it. If it was just Mercer and his guitar part only, I'd probably love it. Can't stand anything else in the song, it's the epitome of what I was talking about "completely losing what you did well" from the first two albums. It's just so obvious all the rest was done in a studio at a different time as James' voice and guitar.

Blah.
Negative Nancy.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #54
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Again, there really isn't a song from Wincing I'd say I don't like
yeah same here, I do also agree it somehow lost something that makes me return to their other albums more

I do put my faith in Mercer
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Scumbo, I am floored.... FLOORED I TELL YOU!

Why would you want them to stay all low-fi and "Shinsy" when Wincing was so more interesting musically? I like the new direction they went in...
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

I love all three records but I find Wincing to be the one I reach for the most, maybe because I overplayed the other ones. I didn't think they could do what they did on the first two records any better than they'd already done it, so I was really happy that they were experimenting with other sounds.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Why would you want them to stay all low-fi and "Shinsy" when Wincing was so more interesting musically? I like the new direction they went in...
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #58
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:

Why would you want them to stay all low-fi and "Shinsy" when Wincing was so more interesting musically?
Well, because I didn't feel that way about it.

This argument is great from an ironic view point. I love the album, would have put it in my favorites of the year that year (had I been posting on Interference at the time...), The Shins are one of my all time favorite bands, and I remember the days where I posted about them numerous times a day in an effort to get ANYONE to actually give them a shot. Honestly, I'm just glad you guys like them, so this has made me laugh.

More irony, I'm entirely certain I never read the Pitchfork review for Wincing as the score upset me, but the last paragraph is the exact same argument I'd make as to why it's their "weakest" in my mind (which still means nothing, as I DO love it):

There's a time-honored imperative to encourage bands for attempting to develop and expand, and the Shins could certainly take their music in many different directions with great success. But it's hard not to notice that the least adventurous tracks on Wincing the Night Away are generally the most rewarding. In many cases, the album's more experimental touches seem at odds with the natural elegance of Mercer's songwriting, making it hard to read the album as a shoddy blueprint of what a more "difficult" Shins record might sound like. Instead, Wincing the Night Away is a lovely and well-executed album and-- for the first time in the band's career-- nothing more.

Pitchfork: The Shins: Wincing the Night Away

It's also ironic that they loved Red Rabbits. That paragraph really says it all for me though. The first 2 were absolute "classics" to me personally, the band completely owned my life for a few years there because of it. Wincing was a great album, but just didn't make it into that same level for my tastes.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:39 AM
Do you cite Pitchfork for everything you like?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #60
Blue Meth Addict

Did you even read the reason I gave for including it, hummus hipster?