The Shins...new album and general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm also not hearing the "triumphant return" that Pitchfork mentioned, but maybe it's a grower.

Seriously, what are they returning from? A five year hiatus? Releasing a really good third album? A handful of other successful Mercer projects? Yeah, damn, Port of Morrow is about to take out Clubber Lang.

Whatever reads well in the metacritic summary.

The Shins Release Live From the Lot EP | News | Pitchfork

Today, Google Music has released a live five-song EP from the Shins, Live From the Lot, recorded during the band's SXSW performance at the Google/YouTube party. Grab it here. "The Rifle's Spiral" is available as a free download.

01 September
02 New Slang
03 Simple Song
04 The Rifle's Spiral
05 Australia

I don't think I've ever even visited or seen Google Music, looks like I'm going to have to change that.

Seeing them tomorrow.
banana.gif

Apparently they're playing here in the fall, and tickets went on sale a few weeks ago, and I did not know. Somebody somewhere needs to be fired.

Seeing the James Mercer Experience tomorrow. The setlists have been insane. I'll be disappointed if they don't play Kissing The Lipless (which they do like 90% of the time), but otherwise, they're playing Caring Is Creepy, Phantom Limb, Australia, Saint Simon and Sleeping Lessons every night so whatevs.

Holy crap. Yes, these guys really bring it live. I wasn't able to "see" much of them, because I lost my mother as I was walking up during Caring Is Creepy, so I hung around the back for a while to wait for her. By the time I found her, they were in the middle of the set, so I just moved up about 50 feet and sat for the rest of it. The weather was excellent by then, and I just soaked up the great breeze and awesome tunes. They're not a band to mosh to anyhow.

Just the same, I could hear them perfectly and had a couple screens to watch, so the experience was there. Plus, this has to be one of the best setlists I've ever seen:

Caring Is Creepy
Australia

Simple Song
Bait and Switch
The Rifle's Spiral
Pam Berry
Phantom Limb
Saint Simon

It's Only Life
Kissing the Lipless !!!!
No Way Down
Mine's Not a High Horse
Port of Morrow
New Slang
Sleeping Lessons
One by One All Day

Plus So Says I. I don't remember when it was played, but I rocked out pretty hard to it.

That closing trio will probably end up being the highlight of the weekend. I have no idea who's going to top that for sheer enjoyment/nostalgia.

:up:

Port of Morrow (the song) was pretty sweet live when I saw them, probably my favorite live version of any of the new songs.

My dad lived on the Navajo reservation for a couple years. We have a couple kachina dolls from the Hopi reservation in the house, and I always thought they were awesome growing up. Mix that with The Shins, how can I pass?!

Just worried it will be a cheap piece of garbage when it arrives, which I'm sorta leaning towards looking at the close up pictures.

I like them, too, being here in Kachinaville. The quality would also be my concern. It looks a little cheesy. Which reminds me, I still haven't gotten a ticket to their show in October. What is wrong with me? Why am I not excited about going?

Well, you've seen them before, so there's nothing wrong with skipping a show. I certainly understand why some may want tot his tour. The new tracks did sound good live though, fyi. Made me a like a few of them considerably more than I did prior.

I just listened to Port of Morrow for the second time. It's an entirely pleasant record. That said, having just listened to it, I can't remember a single specific song that stood out, either. I remember thinking "I need to look at the name of this song, because I enjoy it!" but now I can't even remember the melody. It was 40 Mark Strasse.

Do Third Man Records releases come with download codes? I'd really like to buy that, but don't have a record player.

Well, I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why my turntable suddenly developed a 60 Hz hum. Turns out it's on the record itself. :grumpy:

Now I need to actually sit down and listen to it. I didn't realize it was in front of an audience; I figured it was just a "live in studio" kind of deal.

A good but not particularly inspired performance. They captured the feeling of the small venue well, but the production is a little flat. The aforementioned 60 Hz hum is noticeable during soft passages on headphones, but not as much when listening through speakers. 3/5

Back
Top Bottom