The Shins...new album and general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:
Pariah King should have been on the album, say in place of Fall of '82 or 40 Mark Strasse, to help balance out that half, which tends to meander a bit too much for my tastes.

40 Mark Strasse is my favorite song on the album.

Sorta wish I would have held off on the stream, and waited until I had the CD. Having a vastly better listening experience this time. Maybe it's the dramatic difference in sound quality, maybe it's just that I sorta knew what to expect. Regardless, really happy to be liking it considerably more this time.

On a very strange note, something about Fall of '82 reminds me of 'Life's Been Good' by Joe Walsh....

Really enjoyed my first listen. Beautiful melodies and instrumentation. I thought it was strong throughout, so I'd have to disagree with some of the initial comments about the second half being weak, or whatever. Very chill, of course, and very fitting for the season.

Standouts, other than Simple Song, were The Rifle's Spiral, September, and Fall of '82.

Looking forward to another listen tomorrow.

I like No Way Down quite a lot.

Question: Have we determined if the "b-side" version of September was a different take of the song?

I've got both on my phone, so I'll take a listen.

I did manage to acquire The Waltz Is Over from Amazon UK.

Interestingly, when I imported it into iTunes it "matched" and I was able to download an iTunes Plus version. Sort of odd that it's in the iTunes system but not available for purchase, but certainly not the first time this has happened.

For example, the entire Back in Black album matches in iTunes even though AC/DC doesn't allow their music to be sold on iTunes. :shrug:

What exact steps did you have to take to get it from Amazon UK? Straight forward just create and account and download it, or something sneaky?

I really like September and It's Only Life on the acoustic EP.

Question: Have we determined if the "b-side" version of September was a different take of the song?
Nope, it's the same. (Honestly, I was kind of hoping for a second version, kind of like what happened with "Split Needles." Not that I don't like "September," it's just interesting to hear two different takes on the same song.)

"Taken For A Fool" is such a good song. I'm slowly starting to come around to this album. Some real songs. Lots of hits.

I believe it's just called "For A Fool."

"Taken For A Fool" is a song off of the Strokes' most recent album, and it's actually a really good tune...one of the only three or four memorable tracks on that album.

I believe it's just called "For A Fool."

"Taken For A Fool" is a song off of the Strokes' most recent album, and it's actually a really good tune...one of the only three or four memorable tracks on that album.

oops. yeah, that's right!

Woke up with It's Only Life in my head. Glad I'm not the only one liking this album quite a bit now. :up:

Woke up with It's Only Life in my head. Glad I'm not the only one liking this album quite a bit now. :up:

i think its diversity threw me off quite a bit at first. normally i welcome diversity, but i'm used to very consistent albums from The Shins. i've come around to songs like "No Way Down" now as well.

The melodies and hooks are about on par with classic Shins. LOTS OF HITS. I think I pinpointed what's bothering me about the album now: I just can't get behind the lyrics. I know most people don't care, but I do. There are lots of acts people find very dry that I can enjoy because of the lyrics, and there are a lot of musically solid records that die the second I hear what's being sung.

Compared to the bizarre, creative lyrical ramblings of Red Rabbits and Girl Inform Me, these songs sound like OC fodder. It sounds like he hired a ghostwriter. The lyrics to September (oh God that last verse puuuukkeee) and For A Fool are particularly lame. I used to puzzle over his lyrics and dissect them, but now the only thing I'm puzzling over is how the guy apparently has nothing in his head worth writing about. People bitch Boner out about dumbing his shit down, and the same thing is happening here.

The production thing is troublesome to me, but it's not that big a deal. The Shins have evolved beyond Oh Inverted World, and a larger budget is part of that.

I think the Pitchfork review nailed the production aspect of the record. It's easily one of the best sounding albums that will be produced this year. Granted, if you think it's a little too "clean" you might feel otherwise, but to my ears it sounds like candy.

Too bad a lot of the songs are thanksgiving leftovers. In March. :down:

I've finally had a chance to listen to this a few times. I agree with LeMel - the catchy melodies and vocals we know and love from The Shins (just not as good as earlier catchy melodies), but the lyrics suck.

I'm also not hearing the "triumphant return" that Pitchfork mentioned, but maybe it's a grower.

Finally heard it. I liked it! Can't comment on the lyrics, as that's not something I notice on first listen. But I liked it quite a bit.

It lost me a bit with the last couple of songs, but overall, yay.

Back
Top Bottom