The RUSH APPRECIATION Thread! Awesome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
Here it is RUSH fans!1!!!1! The place where you can post your favorite RUSH songs, wax poetic about the lyrics, talk about shows you've seen/coming up, you name it!

This is the RUSH APPRECIATION thread. Let's go!!!

I'll start things off with the, while fairly typical, always awesome Spirit of Radio

Rush- Spirit Of The Radio - YouTube

Live versions:

rush spirit of radio live - YouTube

Lyrics
Begin the day with a friendly voice,
A companion unobtrusive
Plays that song that's so elusive
And the magic music makes your morning mood.

Off on your way, hit the open road,
There is magic at your fingers
For the Spirit ever lingers,
Undemanding contact in your happy solitude.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy
Emotional feedback on timeless wavelength
Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

All this machinery making modern music
Can still be open-hearted.
Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question
Of your honesty, yeah, your honesty.

One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity.

For the words of the prophets were written on the studio wall,
Concert hall
And echoes with the sounds of salesmen. Of salesmen. Of salesmen.

If you live in a city that doesn't have a single station that'll play this once in a while...well, move.

:rockon:

After I go seek out the threads this is a joke reference to, I'm going to interject a nugget into your face. And it won't be chicken. I'm thinking denver*.

*thats a basketball team, right?

The sad part is, didn't I include spirit of the radio on a DI list? I legit do like that song. :reject:

The sad part is, didn't I include spirit of the radio on a DI list? I legit do like that song. :reject:

It's all good. I'm not even a Rush super fan. I appreciate them for what they are, and they have some songs that I really liked from my youth...so it's like, you know, summer time driving up north and listening to some classic rock station out of Buttfuckville, ON...and a classic Rush track comes on..and you rock out for a couple of minutes..then later on remember that album and put it on blast for the memories. That's the extent of my fandom. I've seen them a grand total of 2 times. I liked it, but the crowd absolutely sucked. Bunch of deadbeats compared to a U2 crowd in the pit, but then again, I had doucheseats. They put on a hell of a show though it was almost too long. They had 2 full sets with a break! Crazy.

My fave Rush song is Subdivisions. La Villa Strangiato coming in second. Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals were a great run of albums.

I'd recommend the DVDs Rush in Rio or R30 (my fave) to anyone who's willing to try a bit of Rush.

That was a pretty fucking crazy crowd in Rio, I can only imagine what it would have been like actually being there. Were you OpenG180?

Yes, i was. As i said, i'm a casual Rush fan at best. But the event was too big to be missed. Rush is like a religion to some folks down here. Rush, Iron Maiden... you can't say a bad word about them to the fans here. It's like saying bad things about Jesus Christ himself.

The show was very energetic, but all shows are like this in Brazil (and Argentina). I really recommend that you europeans and north americans try at least once in your life to come down here to Brazil or Argentina and see how crazy and energetic a rock show can be. I've seem gigs in the USA and Europe and i must say the attitude here is VERY different.

Hmm. There is nothing worse than a lame, or having seats in the pocket of lame (I forget, I credit cori with that phrase or was that someone else), crowd.

Yes, i was. As i said, i'm a casual Rush fan at best. But the event was too big to be missed. Rush is like a religion to some folks down here. Rush, Iron Maiden... you can't say a bad word about them to the fans here. It's like saying bad things about Jesus Christ himself.

The show was very energetic, but all shows are like this in Brazil (and Argentina). I really recommend that you europeans and north americans try at least once in your life to come down here to Brazil or Argentina and see how crazy and energetic a rock show can be. I've seem gigs in the USA and Europe and i must say the attitude here is VERY different.

I noticed that. The adoration and appreciation was palpable, it leaps off the screen on that DVD.

Seeing U2 in Brazil or perhaps Mexico is on my bucket list, right beside Slane Castle. I always marvel at the DVDs they shot there (official and unofficial) and whenever I meet SA U2 fans in NA I'm equally blown away by the passion they have for U2. Y'all are not afraid to show the love! :love: :rockon:

I noticed that. The adoration and appreciation was palpable, it leaps off the screen on that DVD.

Seeing U2 in Brazil or perhaps Mexico is on my bucket list, right beside Slane Castle. I always marvel at the DVDs they shot there (official and unofficial) and whenever I meet SA U2 fans in NA I'm equally blown away by the passion they have for U2. Y'all are not afraid to show the love! :love: :rockon:

I'd say that perhaps Argentina is even more passionate than Brazil, Mexico or Chile. And for a brazilian to say that...

Probably, but Argentina and Chile are considerably more pricey to get to from Canada than Mexico and Rio..at least last I checked

(and believe me, I checked!! :sad: )

You mean plane tickets? Cause i can tell you for a fact that Brazil is much more expensive than Argentina. 1 Dollar = 2 Reais (our money). 1 Dollar = 4,7 Pesos (Argentina money).

(Assuming this really is an appreciation thread)

RUSH - without a doubt, one of my favorite bands. Alex, Geddy and Neil making some damn great (frequently incredible) music together. Very pissed at myself for missing out when they came here during the Snakes & Arrows Tour in 2008.

Would have loved to seen them during the Time Machine Tour in 2010/2011, heard the tour they're doing this year in support of the new album (which is really good!) is not that good. Shame.

Currently listening to Time Stand Still - incredible, incredible song. :drool:

prbiker15 said:
(Assuming this really is an appreciation thread)

RUSH - without a doubt, one of my favorite bands. Alex, Geddy and Neil making some damn great (frequently incredible) music together. Very pissed at myself for missing out when they came here during the Snakes & Arrows Tour in 2008.

Would have loved to seen them during the Time Machine Tour in 2010/2011, heard the tour they're doing this year in support of the new album (which is really good!) is not that good. Shame.

Currently listening to Time Stand Still - incredible, incredible song. :drool:

Time stand still is excellent. Top 10 for me.

That's a great tune, no need to hide when declaring you like it.

Well, I was hiding because I figure it's a common Rush tune to like, and I'm not very familiar with their body of work like most Rush fans who might be posting here would be. But yes, it's a great song! It grew on me. :)

I saw Rush in Philadelphia on Friday. It was my first time seeing them and they were really great. The songs from the new album in particular were excellent - the orchestra backing was a nice touch and not distracting.

I actually just started listening to Rush the last couple of years, and feel like they get a bad rap. No one can deny their technical mastery, and, contrary to what people might think, they are very intelligent and humorous guys. The documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage is worth watching even if you are not a fan.

Anyway, I hate to admit it, but if only U2 could produce an album as dynamic and ambitious as Clockwork Angels, that would make me happy. All the more incredible considering the band has been around for over 40 years.

purpleblackeye said:
I saw Rush in Philadelphia on Friday. It was my first time seeing them and they were really great. The songs from the new album in particular were excellent - the orchestra backing was a nice touch and not distracting.

I actually just started listening to Rush the last couple of years, and feel like they get a bad rap. No one can deny their technical mastery, and, contrary to what people might think, they are very intelligent and humorous guys. The documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage is worth watching even if you are not a fan.

Anyway, I hate to admit it, but if only U2 could produce an album as dynamic and ambitious as Clockwork Angels, that would make me happy. All the more incredible considering the band has been around for over 40 years.

Did they play Subdivisions? My fave Rush song.

They're opening with it on this tour. I'm seeing them tomorrow for the first time, I can't wait!!! It's going to be awesome. I'm not familiar with their albums between Signals and Clockwork Angels (aside from Roll the Bones), and I'd prefer them to play more from the late 70s/early 80s, but I guess they've played the hell out of most of those songs. It'll be better to kill things they haven't played in a while then play great songs they're sick of, though I'd kill a duck to hear Jacob's Ladder.

Jacobs Ladder - YouTube

the riff at 1:46!!!:drool::drool::drool:

I'm super excited to hear so much of Clockwork Angels. It's a great record.

A question to anyone from Toronto: was Limelight the theme, or common bumber music, or frequently played during Blue Jays radio broadcasts in the 80s and early 90s? Every time hear it I hear Tom and Jerry talkin' ball. I hope I'm not insane.

Back
Top Bottom