The RUSH APPRECIATION Thread! Awesome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw them last night, and it was great. Easily the best arena show I've ever seen.

The Clockwork Angels set was godlike, even better than the album.

The first set was also great, though it would have been cool if they'd replaced some of the synth parts with strings. Not the massive hook parts, but the more lines that exist to add more colour. This isn't a complaint, just an observation.

I like every song from Moving Pictures; my favorites are The Camera Eye and YYZ.

I remember watching the Grammy awards for best instrumental --The Police with Behind My Camel and Rush YYZ. I liked both bands but I favored The Police more at that time and wanted them to win, which they did, but YYZ is the better song. Ah, award show politics...

RUSH are filming the Clockwork Angels Tour shows in Phoenix on November 25, and Dallas on November 28 - for a 2013 release. Most recent setlist (to which they continue changing on most nights):

Set #1

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force Ten
Grand Designs
Middletown Dreams
Territories
The Analog Kid
The Pass
Where's My Thing?
Far Cry

Set #2

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Dreamline
Drum Solo (The Percusser)
Red Sector A
YYZ
The Spirit of Radio

Encore:

Tom Sawyer
2112 Part I: Overture
2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

https://www.facebook.com/rushtheband
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2012/keyarena-seattle-wa-13da89f5.html

Wow, that's a pretty glowing review...even better than a U2 arena show?

Yup. Saw U2 twice on Elevation and once on Vertigo (I was front row in the circle) and Rush destroyed them. I'm not a big fan of arena or stadium shows, but Rush was as good as a theatre/club gig. I also enjoyed NIN's Lights in the Sky (most impressive visuals and best sound I've experienced live) and Pearl Jam's 2001 tour more. I like U2 live, but I wouldn't put them in the 20 best shows I've seen, and I've seen them four times.

That being said, it really depends on what record the band is touring. Rush are touring one of their best albums, and playing almost all of it, and they're playing a bunch of stuff that has been rarely played so it's fresh. That probably had a lot to do with it.

Just saw Rush play Anaheim and LA, and yes they absolutely wiped the floor with the (imho) lackluster U2 of the Vertigo and 360 tours.

Real energy and strong new material that both the band and the crowd actually like are probably the main reasons why.

New Clockwork Angels Tour dates for North America! Will consist of two legs - one in April and May, and then another one towards the summer (similar to what they did for the Time Machine Tour)...spring dates have been announced.

23-Apr - Austin, TX - Frank Erwin Center
26-Apr - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - BB&T Center
28-Apr - Orlando, FL - Amway Center
01-May - Nashville, TN - Bridgestone Arena
03-May - Raleigh, NC - PNC Arena
05-May - Virginia Beach, VA - Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach
07-May - Baltimore, MD - 1st Mariner Arena
09-May - Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun
11-May - Atlantic City, NJ - Etess Arena
Tour - RUSH

Alright, I decided not to start a new thread, but let's just keep things, you know, civil and shit.

Anyways, I listened to 2112. I told Travis I liked it a lot more than I remembered. That's because I have never heard it. I had heard Moving Pictures.

I, in fact, loved 2112. It was awesome. It was exactly what I like out of Prog, and I do love Geddy's silly voice.

More please.

If you continue with them past their early prog years, curious to hear if you still enjoy them. If you did not like Moving Pictures, though, that might not bode well......

If you continue with them past their early prog years, curious to hear if you still enjoy them. If you did not like Moving Pictures, though, that might not bode well......

Do you recommend where to go next? It's been years since my first and only listen to Moving Pictures, so anything is fair game, tbh.

I've heard everything they put out from 1976-1981 and absolutely nothing before or after that. So 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Perfect Waves and Moving Pictures. Of those, 2112 is my favorite and generally prefer the prog stuff to what followed. All of their records are solid and have standout tracks, but the early stuff is more to my taste so the deep cuts are more enjoyable.

I think Ashley should listen to Permanent Waves next, but obviously I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject.

Do you recommend where to go next? It's been years since my first and only listen to Moving Pictures, so anything is fair game, tbh.

If we're going with post-Moving Pictures albums then Signals is a good start. I also love the Presto album, but I might be in the minority. If we're going pre-Moving Pictures, then I recommend Permanent Waves if you're a fan of the shorter songs and Hemispheres if you want to hear them go full on prog.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

What about the first two? Come back later?

I just edited my post, I wouldn't recommend the first three albums. Their debut isn't really a proper Rush album because they don't have Neil and the next two aren't that great compared to what came after.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The first 2 songs on that album I just adore. If you do not adore them then perhaps you'll never adore anything, ever again, if you catch my subtle murder threat, Travis.

Back
Top Bottom