The Rants and Raves of a "Boomer"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaisedByWolves

War Child
Hey guys, I hope you don't mind but I had to share this article from Nolan Dalla I found. It's very funny and probably shouldn't be taken too seriously.

If You're Under 25, Your Music is Fucking Garbage - Nolan Dalla

3b0754680e57a98bd22e0c92f020c327_400x400.jpeg

Come gather ’round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You’ll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin’
Then you better start swimmin’ or you’ll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin’

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won’t come again
And don’t speak too soon
For the wheel’s still in spin
And there’s no tellin’ who that it’s namin’
For the loser now will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don’t stand in the doorway
Don’t block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There’s a battle outside and it is ragin’
It’ll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don’t criticize
What you can’t understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin’
Please get out of the new one if you can’t lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin’
And the first one now will later be last

Bob Dylan - "The Times they are A-Changin'" (1963)

As some of you know, this shit drives me nuts. I claim to be just too young to be a boomer, but who am I kidding. Guys like this make the rest of us look like idiots.

Everything new is bad! Everything old is good!

Fuck, I hate that shit.

I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we...the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J. D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run out of the house with a big washtub and, where are you going?...Anyway, about my washtub. I just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a walking bird. We'd always have walking bird on Thanksgiving with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, and yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we...the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

You, sir, are suddenly hilarious. You have won my day with that story.

Speaking of old stuff being better or not, how weird is it that the default decade for Australian FM radio stations (as overheard in your local IGA) still seems to be the eighties. I mean, that is seriously weird if you think about it. The gap between 1984 and now is like the gap between prime-era Frank Sinatra and Born In The USA.

So the other day I realized that the Vietnam War is as long ago to a kid in middle school today as World War II was to when I was in middle school.

In the 80s when I was a kid is listen to my dad tell stories about his childhood in the 60s and the thought of that time period seemed ancient and so long ago from that point in time. But like, now, I could tell a kid about my life in the 80s and he or she would probably feel the same even though I feel like the 80s were not so long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom