The Punk Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reggo

Blue Crack Addict
So I've decided to start a punk rock discussion. I'm navigating my way through punk's history and present-day and posting here is slightly more productive than mentioning something random on Facebook or Twitter. Even if Shouter, iDub, Scumbo, and I are the only ones that post here (with the occasional, inevitable troll from Laz or Impy).

East Coast, West Coast, old-school or hardcore; everything from The Ramones to Husker Du and points inbetween.

So let's start with a band I've recently become aware of and really like:
YouTube - Black Flag - Rise Above (Damaged) SST Records

Yeah, I know Black Flag aren't totally obscure, but I just got into them. They're what I think of when I think of hardcore: loud, fast, songs aren't sung so much as shouted.

That was pretty awesome. Thanks, Scumbo.

I listened to four of the songs in here, cos I try to keep an open mind and you just never know.......but, yeah, Punk just never was my thing and I guess it's safe to say it never will be. Glad I gave these songs a listen, though, and, I will add that I find the advent and history of punk fascinating.

can't wait till I get home to watch the videos shouter posted. Would've done it last night, but last night was a disaster that bled into today.

I don't care for punk myself, although I can appreciate the allure of it; most of my early songs were punk rock because they were so damn easy to write.

Seems like most examples of the genre that I like aren't really punk...you wouldn't link to post-rock in a "rock" thread (whatever the hell that may be), so I won't link to post-punk tracks here.

I really love early Jam though, for the melodies and shit:

YouTube - Jam - In the City

I figured as much. They rule anyway, and have the aesthetic going.

Buzzcocks sound interesting...maybe I'll listen to an album of theirs later. Can't decide whether to listen to an actual album or their singles collection though.

Yeah, that's what I'm listening to now. Could see myself liking plenty of their material, but for now, this will suffice.

Megacools
Loved this. Nothing like Sacto Punk that sounds like it was recorded in a basement.

Adam and the Ants - Plastic Surgery
Ah, before they turned New Romantics. This was alright, lead dude, IMO, was trying too hard to do a John Lydon impression. I'm going to have nightmares over that bald guy's laugh. Creepy shit.

Misfits - Hybrid Moments
Danzig and the boys never disappoint. I should so rip my Static Age LP onto my laptop.

Sid Vicious (Gary Oldman) My Way and Something Else
Ha! I downloaded Sid Sings. It's glorious.

Back
Top Bottom