The Punk Rock Thread - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
because in punk rock, it's all about inbreeding. that's why there's no good place to begin, really. everything becomes inextricably linked back to each other, and you can't trace an origin because it spreads and overlaps into too many other genres.
This. This exactly. You find a band you like, then you go to their side projects and other bands on the same indie label and then the side projects' other members' side projects and their influences and the influences' influences and somehow it's all weaved into this lovely web of punk rock awesomeness, like 6 degrees of separation. And everything has something to love about it. The only thing that borders on punk that I've absolutely hated (and it's more post-punk anyway) is Sonic Youth. But maybe I just need to give it another shot when I'm not feeling like such a smartass.

X - Los Angeles, ftw. Fuck it, I am getting my turntable out and spinning some of my vinyl. Operation Ivy's Energy

Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Jesus. What pussies. Isn't this a punk thread? Get over it.

pretty sure my next post is proof that i "got over it," but ok. i really don't care if that's all you guys want to do in this or any thread for that matter, and i also did click a bunch of those links.

Quote:
No way. I am only pulling my hair out because the Dropkick Murphys have been mentioned, and I don't think with a trace of irony. To each, his own. But still. To me,

my opinions on the band are pretty well-documented through the past however many years that i've been posting in b&c. nah, no irony, i did used to absolutely love those guys and until i realized the folly of my ways, embraced that whole pogues-wannabe crap. i'm not a fan of people who re-write band history every time they switch up band members (now there's the irony), so it would kind of be a lie if i was to leave them completely out of such a long-ass post. the fact that they suck donkey dick now aside, the only real purpose in mentioning them is i'm glad that having once been a fan did get me to listen to the bruisers (because combination of my age plus living in a small town in the middle of nowhere when they were still a band would have made that very difficult at the time), aware of death & taxes when jeff morris & co. released that stellar album. and then there's the street dogs, who are kind of going the way of dkm in my mind (although i do not view anything about that band with anything even close to my hatred for what dkm are now).

almost mentioned x when i was going on about west coast stuff because i know this is a band i'm supposed to be better informed of, except that having never gotten into the band, not knowing much outside of some scattered songs i've heard here and there (usually because after hearing covers i had to find originals), i was never a huge fan. know nothing of the australian one.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #48
Refugee

Location: SoCal, but far enough away from everything for it to be a pain in the ass
Local Time: 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Turn it up loud and get the answer.

YouTube - X - Los Angeles

Next to U2, X is probably my favorite band. Nice choice, Martha!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The Australian band is also pretty good (not all-time greats, or anything), if you're looking to expand your knowledge of bands named X.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The Australian band is also pretty good (not all-time greats, or anything), if you're looking to expand your knowledge of bands named X.

it's like the uk subs.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #51
She's the One

Or the English Beat.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #52
Blue Meth Addict

Or The Mission UK
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

or boxer rebellion
Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Do you guys consider The Who punk rock? I mean, not in the strictest sense, but sort of in a proto-punk way. I do, cause they were sort of punk before anyone knew what punk rock was. I could be totally wrong.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #55
She's the One

You could be.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You could probably struggle and make a tenuous link from The Who to proto-punk, but proto-punk itself is like The Velvets + glam + garage (or some combination thereof), as a general rule. None of the vague prog undercurrents or conceptual, arch, uber-British psychedelia of early The Who.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Good point. Maybe it's just "My Generation" that makes the link in my brain.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There are definitely a few songs that are reasonably close to proto-punk, for sure, but you can really say that about most of the garage(-indebted) bands of the time.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

yeah. Every time I think I know something about punk rock, I get schooled,
Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

i saw someone comparing the who and the jam once, tried to adapt their argument that both bands came from the same place (i figured they were talking musically, but it's been a while since i thought about it, so for all i know paul weller and pete townshend grew up in the same town? no idea) and then diverged into different things. i'm not so sure i'd agree, but for some reason it stuck with me. the implication there being that early who=some kind of a mod/punk rock thing. does not work well at all with anyone who got angry and said the clash sold out when they opened for them. then you get people who want to define "punk rock" as something other than just music, some misguided high school kid who might sew a who patch on a hoodie because other kids point out the various other typical punk rock patches, look at that one and go, eew i don't know about them though, just because they think that attitude is...yes, i still have the hoodie. it's still wearable. but anyway, i like what shouter said.

Tags
punk, punk rock