The Power of a Music Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I dont venture outside of the Your Blue Room forum but wanted to throw out there how a good music video (dying art perhaps) can make a bad song decent, a decent song good and a good song great.

Case in point…

Beck "Up All Night With You". This is a good song that the video keeps me captivated and enhances the music for me. I really like this song.

The Killers "The Man". The video is really well done as it keeps me watching and its funny/ironic, which I appreciate. The song is (purposely) cheesy but it has a really cool beat and its fun and had I heard it without seeing the video, it might have not stuck with me like it has. I really like this song too.

Its rare for non-U2 songs to really click with me but both of these did and just wanted to share that. Does anyone else have music vids that really brought a song to another level for you, especially recent songs?

Does anyone else have music vids that really brought a song to another level for you, especially recent songs?

Well, a U2 song/video actually.

The animated video of "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" made me like the song more than before.

I liked the song already, but the video made me like it more still, though I can't explain why.

I was never much of a fan of Song for Someone until I saw the extended music video/film with the dad coming out of prison and meeting his daughter. I enjoy the song far more now than I did prior to seeing the video.

Off the top of my head:

Blur's "Coffee and TV", Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" and RHCP's "Californication" are all more enjoyable to me when watching the music video.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy the song on their own, but I just absolutely love these music videos

Lemon never clicked with me until I saw the video. Stunning.

Bat for Lashes' Laura is stunning, giving an already incredible song another layer.

Two tracks I'd never heard of I heard for the first time watching the clips on Rage, so I've loved these videos for a long time: Cornelius' Drop and Bran Van 3000's Drinkin in LA.

This is my favourite video ever. Not sure if it's actually official or not, but it captures what the song's about so well.

Great call with this one, I have always liked it. The imagery paired with the build of the music is amazing.
Agreed. One of the great covers as it is. But with that video it's epic.

Going back decades here, but Dire Straits used to routinely pull off amazing videos which lifted the songs' popularity. U2 never did that.

Back
Top Bottom